Author Topic: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?  (Read 73431 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
This thread is the reason why a lot of people in the tailgate lots make fun of this board and don't post
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

ValleyTalk

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
This thread is ridiculous and shows where Mr. Wick250's priorities are this season. Clearly could care less about YSU winning and more with Wolford getting canned.

4-2 with 6 more games to go and you guys have given up on this team and this season. Pathetic.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:38:49 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 09:38:11 PM »
Well whether people like the coaching staff or not, the season is 6 games old, and still have a lot of football to play, and the staff will not be going anywhere during the season, and thats the truth.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
Well Valley, would you like to really know what my priorities are?  My priorities are not puking away a playoff spot by losing to a garbage Missouri State team in 2011.  And my priorities are not going "0 for October" including blowing a three touchdown lead to Illinois State in 2012.  And my priorities are not quitting on the field and getting embarrassed by SDSU with a playoff spot on the line in 2013.  And my priorities are not losing to a mediocre Western Illinois team in 2014 that effectively ended the season.  Funny how the towering figure of the great coach Eric Wolford stands at the center of all my priorities. 

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »
People who root against their own home teams are the worst. I've said  numerous times; if you don't root for ysu you are the enemy. Those on the board know who they are.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
Well Valley, would you like to really know what my priorities are?  My priorities are not puking away a playoff spot by losing to a garbage Missouri State team in 2011.  And my priorities are not going "0 for October" including blowing a three touchdown lead to Illinois State in 2012.  And my priorities are not quitting on the field and getting embarrassed by SDSU with a playoff spot on the line in 2013.  And my priorities are not losing to a mediocre Western Illinois team in 2014 that effectively ended the season.  Funny how the towering figure of the great coach Eric Wolford stands at the center of all my priorities.

Re-read that comment.... "Not losing to a medicare Western Illinois team in 2014 that effectively ended the season."     

WOW. They have played 6 games!!! The season's over guys. Let's just shut it down, pack it up and go home according to everyone on this board. This conference is up for grabs big time, but yet you want to call the season over. Pitiful....

Spiderlegs

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 09:45:49 AM »
I understand Wick250's pessimism.  On one hand, it's just one game. One the other hand, W. teams don't seem to learn from their mistakes.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
It seems like dominant defense and o-line play result in success, at this and any level.

The guy we have now is thought of as a very good o-line coach, and I would have to agree for the most part. Our QB's had very nice pockets in the last game and we commit few penalties there.

The guy we had before him was a record setting D-coordinator.

What other avenue would you like to explore with this thread? We arent going to get an accomplished head coach unless he comes from a lower level, and I doubt many would be satisfied with that. Salary dictates that.

I guess I don't get the point of this discussion half way through the season.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 10:15:39 AM »
I thought the IL loss was more devastating than the WIU loss.  IL was a must win as it is a weaker team than several MVFC schools.

8 wins may get YSU in the playoffs.  7 wins...no way.  After the WIU we can only afford one more non-NDSU loss....out of 5 MVFC games.   Of those 5 remaining non-NDSU MVFC games, I would say three are better than WIU (ISUb, and ISUr (on the road) and SDSU (also on the road)).

It is an understatement to say it would be a remarkable feat with the road ahead to be in the post-season.

When Wolford was first hired, he had a press conference where he said that national championships are the expectation at YSU.  He is correct, and he has had 5 years to deliver.

I have no problems with fans looking at the future of YSU FB, and who will lead it.  Cheerleading is fine, but there's also reality to deal with.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
Very well said Nation...very well said.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
It's fine to be realistic, but not okay to root again the red and white. I've given so much to this university. It literally means everything to me. And the people who openly root against us and claim to be true fans. Private message me. Meet me face to face this weekend. Tell me that you're openly rooting against ysu to lose. Bet you won't! My private message inbox is open. Fire away!

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
Mark Snyder? I realize his record was bad at Miami but ..Don Treadwell?

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
It's fine to be realistic, but not okay to root again the red and white. I've given so much to this university. It literally means everything to me. And the people who openly root against us and claim to be true fans. Private message me. Meet me face to face this weekend. Tell me that you're openly rooting against ysu to lose. Bet you won't! My private message inbox is open. Fire away!

I also agree that Nation's post was spot on. 

I don't think anyone is really rooting against YSU at all, or maybe I'm just missing something.  Everyone here wants YSU to succeed, but I think people are getting frustrated with this coaching staff.  Wolf has always talked a big game and hasn't delivered anything except expectations he's failed to meet.  The guy is a very strong recruiter, no doubt... But lets be honest, he's horrible at coaching. 

When he got here, he was this pompous guy that seemed to think that turning this program would be some easy task.  Every preseason, he's talking about his expectations.  Yet.. Every year, he's found some way to blow it. 

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
There are certain members on this board openly cheering against ysu. Dan asked me not to attack them on the board. I've posted a private message to one. He coward and never replied. Stop hiding behind the computer. If you root against ysu you are the enemy. Wick250 I'm staring right at you.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
JJ I think we can all guess the two individuals that you are referring to. I think in both cases it is that they want to be 'right', more that they have any distaste for YSU. There is one member who is pretty open about what school he roots for and that is fine ...he is a solid poster.  I am glad you do not attack them anymore, as that can frustrate people more than anything they may say. We have about 100 or so regulars on here and they all seem to know each others personalities. You cannot attack Wick250, he is no different than many of us ...he is just more vocal about it. There is frustration after a loss ...this is place to vent. I have never seen him as YSU-hater.

I am not here to trash W , or any of the coaches. I will say one thing ...he is not as great of a recruiter as most of you think he is. Maybe it is because the team has that mass set of players losses, or whatever, and we never settled down to a point where he can refine his selections; however, I used to be able to see Coach H & T's recruits and put them in a needed position. I do not see that much with W. Too many athletes & not enough skill.

To me "Athletes" are exceptionally-promising players that a staff brings in for special teams and hope he works himself into something. They should be few and far between.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:57:33 PM by IAA Fan »