Author Topic: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?  (Read 72891 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:34:42 PM »
Last evening marked the end of Eric Wolford's attempt to be a head coach at the collegiate level.  We won't win more than two more games and the poor record, coupled with low attendance for the remaining home games, will force Tressel to enact the buyout clause.  And making a major sports-related move is something that I am sure that Tressel hoped to avoid for a least a few years.

So in what direction do we turn?  Would it not be best to hire a successful head coach from the ranks of the lower scholarship divisions?  No more on-the-job training that might never succeed.  And Wolford is the poster boy for that.  Hire someone who can utilize the Watts and the high assistant coach salaries to our advantage.  Also something at which Wolford failed miserably. 

The national media loves to trash Tressel, but he is nearly universally respected within the coaching profession.  I have confidence that he will use his network to secure a replacement who can take full advantage of our many strengths.  Who better to find the "next Tressel" that the original Tressel.

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:47:22 PM »
We need a defensive minded coach who understands how to recruit and develop players at this level. The defense under this clown has been nothing short of laughable. He talks so much about how we need to have FBS caliber players to win in this league but yet we have players who wouldn't start at some high school programs. We also need someone who can put together a staff and have consistency. Three DC's in Wolford's tenure and Montgomery as OC who coaches the 2nd half like he has a 5 TD lead. This season is lost and I don't see us winning another game on this schedule outside of MAYBE South Dakota.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Spiderlegs

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
How about Mark Mangino?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:40:14 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »
He needs to be a good recruiter and preferably a power run, emphasis on both offensive and defensive line type coach

Offline YSURON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »
I agree it should be Bear Mangino

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
i have no issue with Mark Mangino, he won at kansas so he can win at YSU, not the biggest fan of his offensive style but to each their own

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »
The problem will be the PAY CUT you'll want a major assistant to take for the Head job here. YSU should  NOT be paying a coach much more than they pay Wolf now. It just gets too expensive.

I hear some want Fickel at OSU. He makes double at OSU. Mangino makes way more there than here.  MAC assistant possible.

kforbs126

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »
Mangino is not what YSU needs.  He had 1 good season at Kansas and I'm sure that recruiting will bring up his past aggression issues against players.  Iowa State is 2-4 and 2nd from last in the league with total offensive.  You need to get a young guy in there.  I'm not sure why anyone would think Mangino as a head coach here.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 04:39:26 PM »
Mangino, no thanks!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
Always good to have a defensive minded head coach!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
As long as YSUs future is in the MVFC I think the next coach must come from there too....

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 06:20:21 PM »
Funny to me that they loose one game and the world is coming to an end... This one is on the players as much as the coaching staff.   This was an easy win with out the BS mistakes.  You can blame all you want but the base game plan was not that bad... Execution on the other hand........

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Funny to me that they loose one game and the world is coming to an end... This one is on the players as much as the coaching staff.   This was an easy win with out the BS mistakes.  You can blame all you want but the base game plan was not that bad... Execution on the other hand........

+1

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
During a recent interview, coach talked about how he has discussed with his colleagues how to prepare throughout the week for opponents.  He mentioned in the past Friday was a light day.  However, this year he changed his philosophy and they go "hard" on Fridays.  So if it isnt his fault or the coaches who can we blame?  The players and coaches have changed but the results havent.   He is the captain of this ship and if he cant get these young men to focus, perform,execute and win give the keys to someone else.  Just like Wolf there are many young coaches looking to make a name for themselves and YSU is as good as any to do that. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:45:01 PM by goodnews »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
Last evening marked the end of Eric Wolford's attempt to be a head coach at the collegiate level.  We won't win more than two more games and the poor record, coupled with low attendance for the remaining home games, will force Tressel to enact the buyout clause.  And making a major sports-related move is something that I am sure that Tressel hoped to avoid for a least a few years.

So in what direction do we turn?  Would it not be best to hire a successful head coach from the ranks of the lower scholarship divisions?  No more on-the-job training that might never succeed.  And Wolford is the poster boy for that.  Hire someone who can utilize the Watts and the high assistant coach salaries to our advantage.  Also something at which Wolford failed miserably. 

The national media loves to trash Tressel, but he is nearly universally respected within the coaching profession.  I have confidence that he will use his network to secure a replacement who can take full advantage of our many strengths.  Who better to find the "next Tressel" that the original Tressel.

Hmmm... An IQ higher than 21  ;D