Author Topic: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?  (Read 72890 times)

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: The new coach: what credentials would you like to see?
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
NICE TO SEE YOU BACK HANNIBAL!!!!

Thanks Mort,
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
Welcome Back HLECter!
A Penguin for life!!!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2014, 11:09:11 AM »
Welp.... 5 loss Indiana State makes it in... Quality OOC wins for them.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
Hannon just said on sports wrap that he, personally, thinks Wolford is gone.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Just read that Terry Allen (Missouri St) will be let go.  Possibility for YSU???  Or at least on the list??

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »
is he an improvement ? not sure

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
Didn't he have a really good run an UNI???  He certainly didn't have the talent at Missouri St that he would have/get at YSU.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
Didn't he have a really good run an UNI???  He certainly didn't have the talent at Missouri St that he would have/get at YSU.

he did 20 years ago

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »
Missouri State is (and has been) loaded with talent and that University put "tons" of money into the program. Allen could not get the job done. Would be a terrible fit here.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »
"It is easier to instill fear than develop passion!"

Who ever is coaching next season -  PLEASE develop passion!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2014, 12:23:26 AM »
I have a comment that seriously needs to be thought about.   YSU has invested a ton of money and time into Wolford.   I know that coache's are measured on win/loss record. I know that the football team has not done well in November the last 2 seasons.  I know that I hate the mistakes we make in big and small games.  I know that I would like to see a dominating defense.  I know what I want to see as well as everyone else on this board, but the decision to go in a different direction may be short sighted.  Here are my reasons why I think this way.

First of all I think that Wolford has grown tremendously since he was first hired.  I believe he regrets some of the things that he said when he was first hired.  He has improved the team every year record wise except this year.  However this team was better all the way around than all of his previous teams regardless of the results.   The conference has improved this year but we didn't improve as fast as the conference and that may be because we have so many young players.  All in all the defense has improved and it is not where we want it nor is it where Wolford wants it (and he has mention this). Tressel is here and may be able to provide guidance.    Considering the growth in all areas where do you stand?

Spiderlegs

« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2014, 07:56:04 AM »
I have a comment that seriously needs to be thought about.   YSU has invested a ton of money and time into Wolford.   I know that coache's are measured on win/loss record. I know that the football team has not done well in November the last 2 seasons.  I know that I hate the mistakes we make in big and small games.  I know that I would like to see a dominating defense.  I know what I want to see as well as everyone else on this board, but the decision to go in a different direction may be short sighted.  Here are my reasons why I think this way.

First of all I think that Wolford has grown tremendously since he was first hired.  I believe he regrets some of the things that he said when he was first hired.  He has improved the team every year record wise except this year.  However this team was better all the way around than all of his previous teams regardless of the results.   The conference has improved this year but we didn't improve as fast as the conference and that may be because we have so many young players.  All in all the defense has improved and it is not where we want it nor is it where Wolford wants it (and he has mention this). Tressel is here and may be able to provide guidance.    Considering the growth in all areas where do you stand?

I could build a case for him staying one more year, but the fans are voting with their feet. Public relations is part of his job, and he is losing that war.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
5 years is long enough. Why believe "next year" will be the year YSU turns the corner, when we have been hearing that since 2011? YSU is losing fans left and right. People who buy tickets, pay for concessions at games, pay to park. If you have a Facebook account, check out the comments on the YSU Football Alumni page. I have been to the page a few times in the past, and the overwhelming consensus was former players do not like Wolford. I've also read people post here on this board if Wolford is kept on, they will not attend any more games. And, there was last weeks article by Scalzo, where he mentioned receiving multiple e-mails and comments from people who say they have stopped going to games, and will not return again until Wolford is replaced.

As far as I'm concerned, the so called "weenie games" and the "money game" do not count in Wolf's record. The exception is the win in 2012 at PITT. Losses in the "money game" ought not count against the coach, and the so called "weenie games out not count in a true evaluation of on field success. Especially with YSU not even playing the best teams from the NEC or Pioneer in most of these OOC games at home. So, here is the record over the past 5 years, with this method:
2010... 1-7
2011... 4-4
2012... 5-4
2013 ... 5-3
2014... 4-4
OVERALL: 19-23

Wolford did not inherit a program that was a perennial playoff participant like Heacock, but he also did not inherit a program like Indiana State. 5 years is plenty of time. Wolford has changed assistant coaches several times. Players have come and gone. Yet, the team keeps making the same mistakes year after year after year. Yes, players play the game, but there are obviously things being done that result in the kind of mistakes that keep a team from going to the playoffs, and team from finding a way each of the past 4 years to miss the playoffs by one game.

The MVFC has gotten stronger with the addition of NDSU and SDSU. But, only NDSU has been dominant, and that is just these past 4 seasons. Heacock was 2-0 against NDSU. Other programs now appear to be doing what is needed to raise their level of play. Indy State is in the playoffs for 1st time since the 80's, and beat YSU in Youngstown.  NDSU did not waltz through the MVFC this season. They beat WIU 17-10, by scoring 14pts in the 4th qtr. Lost 23-3 at UNI. Trailed SDSU 10-6 at halftime. Early in the 3rd qtr, SIU only trailed 17-10. Then, YSU, with nothing to lose and everything to gain, went into the Fargo Dome and was never in the game. 31-0 before YSU finally scored with about 5 minutes left in 3rd qtr. Worse, it was obvious the game was over after the 1st qtr in terms of which team was going to win.

YSU lost at home to WIU and Indy State this year. Win just 1 of those games, and YSU is in the playoffs. Last year, there was the loss at UNI. In 2012, it was a home loss to SIU during the 0-4 October. In 2011, it was another home loss, in the final game of the year against last place Missouri State.  Then there was the 4 game losing streak in 2012, and ending the season on 3 game losing streaks in 2013 and 2014.