Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL WHAT NOW? {Is this a trainwreck or a march to the playoffs?}  (Read 20197 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The last 2 games have been very surreal.  We beat Pitt, Northern Iowa.  Then we went to a bye week, and we look clueless? thoughts
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Done!  Can't win without a competent defense in this league!  6-5 at best!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The last 2 games have been very surreal.  We beat Pitt, Northern Iowa.  Then we went to a bye week, and we look clueless? thoughts
I think we will still make the playoff. we should be able to get in with 3 losses since we have beaten Pit and we did not play any D2 team. I am steill an optimist. Let us don't forget that we have lost to the top 2 teams in the conference.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Yep!  And Southern Illinois beat the team we just played 17-0.  If we don't fix the defense before the next game, this season is over!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSUGO...
We beat Pitt, that game Pitt seemed to be out of touch with reality.
Then there were those cake games.  Northern Iowa, who
seems to be out of sorts for this season, and we played
them on our field.  NDSU, lets face it they are really a
good team.  Today...what can I say...Southern Illinois
beat Illinois State last week.  To me, this was a win, win
game for YSU.  GEEZ....I know where I put the blame.
What do all of you think.  Question.  WHOM DO WE BLAME
FOR OUR LOSS TODAY?

Offline castoff

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
YSUGO...
We beat Pitt, that game Pitt seemed to be out of touch with reality.
Then there were those cake games.  Northern Iowa, who
seems to be out of sorts for this season, and we played
them on our field.  NDSU, lets face it they are really a
good team.  Today...what can I say...Southern Illinois
beat Illinois State last week.  To me, this was a win, win
game for YSU.  GEEZ....I know where I put the blame.
What do all of you think.  Question.  WHOM DO WE BLAME
FOR OUR LOSS TODAY?

Coach Wolford has a 24 hour rule.  I think Strollo should take advantage of the 24 hour rule and make some coaching changes, and he should start at the top.

Does that answer your question as to who, I blame?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:04:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
WOW.....and Indiana State goes out and beats #1 NDSU.  Crap, we still have to play them yet too

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Soooooo, let's see here.  SIU beat ISU (R) and YSU plays SIU next week.  And NDSU loses to ISU (B) and we've to play them.  Oh yeah and theres SDSU yet.  We have a real shot at losing 3 more games this year.  What happens if that scenario plays out and we lose?  I think you have to now start asking for Wolford's dismissal.  What a HUGE disappointment this coaching staff has become.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Counting only the statistics from league games, we score a mediocre 25 points per game and we give up a staggering average of 39+ per game.  And we are supposed to believe that this is a playoff team!  Wolford might not respect our grasp of football, but we all know that this penguin won't fly >:(

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I agree we are getting worse as the year progresses and we still have to play teams that will just roll over our pitiful defense.  I originally thought 9-2 at the beginning of the year but 7-4/6-5 is more reality.  We will probably lose a home game to either Indiana St or S. ill and get killed at S. Dakota st.  7-4 record will not get us in the playoffs.   Wolford needs to stop worrying about out scoring opponents because it isn't working out.  Our offense sucks when it counts.    So far we are heading towards a major trainwreck conducted by Wolford and his overrated staff.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FOOTBALL WHAT NOW? {Is this a trainwreck or a march to the playoffs?}
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
The offense blew it today. Offensive line looked horrible. Hess has some horrible throws. Receivers could not get separation and then dropped balls. Unbelievable to have them score 28 unanswered points..... Wow

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
I know this has been mentioned in the past but one has to wonder the effect Wolfords willingness to start younger players over upperclassmen the past couple of years.  How do you justify some of the decisions they made?  I dont see how you build team unity.... In watching todays game I guess you dont.....?  Who stops the bleeding and who is the leader on defense?  There is NO enthusiasm, No one leading by example.... Everything is REACTIVE rather than PROACTIVE....  They have to WIN 2 out of 3 from SIU, Indy St, SDS to make the playoffs......!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:01:19 PM by goodnews »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »
WOW.....and Indiana State goes out and beats #1 NDSU.  Crap, we still have to play them yet too

I told you guys that NDSU is not that good. Just think how bad this score would have been had we not had 6 stops by the defense today. Just how bad is ILS that our defense was able to get 6 stops? NDSU is not done losing and ILS is going to lose a lot of games between now an Thanksgiving.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »
My thoughts is anyone cares:

There is no excuse to blow a 21 point lead (which should have been a 28 point lead had we not had the off sides penalty and had to re-kick).

I really can't believe how the defense lines up in coverage, the corner back is 12 yards off the receiver, the Lb's are lined up like dominoes and the DL actually lines up on their OL.  The best part is that the other team changes the play when they see the safety alignment and we don't switch it up.  As a matter of fact, more often than not the LB's actually back up.  There are rarely any stunts or movement on defense.  It looks like backyard football.

Why aren't these kids on the DL taught to bull rush the QB and avoid their OL as much as possible.  Use your technique when needed, but if you can get a clear shot, then go for it.  It looked as if we were actually lining up with our opponents OL to stay on the block until the runner came through.  If the DL can get into the backfield, then the LB's can clean up and they won't have as much time to throw.  Watch LSU's DL from the South Carolina game.  They put on a clinic on how you get to the QB.

I can't believe that people are in denial about our defensive issues and want to blame the O.  The freaking secondary face-guarded like eleventy billion times and got called for it once.  Why are we doing this?  They sure as hell are not playing like football players. You would think that they would understand this basic concept by now after playing the game their whole entire life.  They have opportunities to get INT's but they never turn around.

We got burned on a gadget play again.  I called it it two plays before.  I expected a flea flicker or halfback pass and it happened.  We got sucked in because we don't play with discipline and can't make the reads fast enough.  3rd time this season.

The special teams.........well there was an improvement, but the careless 5 yard off-sides penalty cost us a re-kick where we went into one of those mental lapses again.  Second time around we let them have it on the 50.  We are inconsistent because we can't kick the ball out of the end zone even if the wind is at our backs.  We don't block well enough to free up Stubbs on the return either.  As fast as he is we should be expect to start on the 40.  The best teams put their starters on special teams and place emphasis on special teams as I said last week it appears to be an afterthought.

Stupid penalties were a big factor as well.  That 15 yard personal foul by #2 happened at a really bad time.  It looked like we were driving. 

The 4th down and 16 call to go for it with the wind at your back at the 44 yard line?  Do I need to explain this?  Perhaps I will just say that the odds are less in your favor the further the distance on 4th down.  STUPID.

The offense was shut down from good DL play.  We were not able to pick up the blitz and the receivers could not get open before Hess could get the ball off.  As a result Hess was on the run and his accuracy is much worse while on the run. Where are the adjustments on offense?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:30:23 AM by penguinpower »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:39:53 AM »
"The offense was shut down from good DL play.  We were not able to pick up the blitz and the receivers could not get open before Hess could get the ball off.  As a result Hess was on the run and his accuracy is much worse while on the run. Where are the adjustments on offense?"

According to Coach Wolford, we're not built for that either.  hahahahhahahah