Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL WHAT NOW? {Is this a trainwreck or a march to the playoffs?}  (Read 20198 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FOOTBALL WHAT NOW? {Is this a trainwreck or a march to the playoffs?}
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
This coaching staff makes no adjustments to win games. None

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
Wolford said he needs to make personnel changes.  I suspect he needs to look at coaching changes as well.  There is no reason why these kids consistently play out of position.  It looks like we give the effort.  Something to think about:

If Heacock had this defense what would it look like?  You have to vive Heacock credit, he may have hated recruiting,  but hecould get the most out of bis defense talent level. The Heacock's are excellent defensive coordinators.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »
Playoffs?  I don't want them in the playoffs.

Think maybe we can find a kicker from all these 50 states that can kick the ball in the end zone?

Or that you have confidence in trying to kick a field goal with?

No disrespect to Brown, but Wolf won't even TRY a fg longer than 30
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
Didn't get to watch.  Who was Underwood lined up over?   Heard his stats on the postgame.  Unreal.  Sometimes when you are overmatched talent wise in a one on one matchup, you give that OT some help.

C'mon Randy and OL coach, you guys know that.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
lecter, he was not that good, but he is excellent. This O-line should not have had the trouble late in the game. Early, he was being forced outside, later we could not get him to move outside, so they really had no less than 6-men in the box on any play. Which was why I was screaming to get under center with two backs. We could have 'eaten them alive' with good old off-tackle running. The sides were susceptible & they were pressuring Hess. We cannot continue to use our TE's as WR's and leave our backfield wide open. The other option to counter-act pressure in the backfield is just that ..the option. However, Hess is not built for that type of speed option ...and I do not mean that as a "dig". Also we do not use Christian Bryan anywhere near enough. We cannot continue to ignore good WR's for TE's. Also why did we not have more use of Pace with power runs and passes in the short-flat? Send Sharbaugh and Pace at them ...a great power run combo. Then Pace at 5 and Sharbaugh (or Shaw) at 10 to pass. Then hit Bryan for 10+ when the ends back off. I am confident that coach M can make the adjustments.

Power: There is not a day that has gone bye, in the last 3 seasons, that I have not wondered what coach H could have done with all this influx of cash, and be lucky enough to bring coach Shane in at OC/aHC. Now all I do is hope that coach M does not get a the big offer that we all know is coming.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:29:41 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
1-AA---we're all disappointed in the last two weeks, but for God's sake can you stop with the incessant love affair with Heacock. Wolford may or may not be the answer, but Heacock had 9 years and made the playoffs once. I think the world of Heacock as much as anyone but he didn't get the job done and his time was up. Move on. Please.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

Power: There is not a day that has gone bye, in the last 3 seasons, that I have not wondered what coach H could have done with all this influx of cash, and be lucky enough to bring coach Shane in at OC/aHC. Now all I do is hope that coach M does not get a the big offer that we all know is coming.

Heacock had many years and many opportunities to succeed as a HC.  He didn't do it.  The point of my post is that he got a ot out of his less talented players and they played well fundamentally.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
This how I see it after sleeping on it:

#1 we need a greater focus on special teams.  Easy to fix especially with fast athletes.  Need to work on down field blocking and opening up lanes when returning.  Need to get off blocks and hold the lanes when defending.

#2 Defense:  We must get a pass rush and become more disruptive to the opposing QB.  It will do several things.  First of all it will make our secondary look better.  The lack of time to throw down field will be reduced and deep routes will be less of a threat.  Secondly the pass rush will allow the LB's to move forward in the event of a run instead of backward and it will keep the opposing receivers closer to the LOS which is easier for the LB's to cover.  We need to shift the DL around and NOT line up on the opposing OL.  They need to be in a sprint to get the QB every time.  We still need to be concerned about screen plays, but if we can get pressure with 3 D linemen then we will be in better shape.  Is this possible?  Not based on what I have seen so far, but the DL pressure has to be the key.  Need to stunt and move the LB's around constantly.  I never see the LB's making calls on D.  Perhaps a contributing cause of the problem is the lack of leadership at the LB position.  The LB's need to be field generals and we are not seeing it.  How do we fix it?  I don't know.  Then after we get this corrected we need to tackle better and pursue at correct angles.  Should be able to fix this as well.

#3 Offense:  Protect the QB better and give him more time.  Hess is not throwing well when he is on the run.  his accuracy is much worse when he is on the run.  He needs enough time to get the ball out in the pocket. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:11:50 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
Andre Stubbs with 2 catches the whole game is horrible. Need to split Will Shaw out wide and stop lining him up on the line. We could sure use Davion Rogers back, I don't care what anybody says that kid made so many plays last year. He was the best player on the field. Shame for him. LB is a huge problem

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
1-AA---we're all disappointed in the last two weeks, but for God's sake can you stop with the incessant love affair with Heacock. Wolford may or may not be the answer, but Heacock had 9 years and made the playoffs once. I think the world of Heacock as much as anyone but he didn't get the job done and his time was up. Move on. Please.

Thank you. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »
I moved on quite a long time ago IP. Long before any of you did. In fact, When I called for coach H to go ...you all mocked me. Then I was proven wrong (maybe) a year later with a deep play-off run. I did not make the choice to keep him ...nor did I support it. I talk strictly because he was/is a better coach than what we have now, yet we pay more to coach W alone, than we did to coach H's entire staff. That may not be saying much ...except the truth. I am doing the same now, as I did when coach H's contract came up for renewal, the first time. Heackcock is the last coach prior to Wolf, that is the reason I use his name. If it makes you feel better, stick any former Penguin coach in my statements ...they all fit. I have no 'love affair with Heacock' ...I love YSU.

When is the last time you heard fans not want to make the post-season because they are afraid to be embarrassed?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:11:40 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »
"When is the last time you heard fans not want to make the post-season because they are afraid to be embarrassed?"

+1,000,000

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Any "fan" who says they don't want to make the post-season is a lunatic. You make the post-season and anyone can go on a run. Weather and injuries can become factors and so can lucky bounces. YSU did not have the best regular season team the first and fourth championships won in the nineties. They got hot at the right time.
As far as the money goes, yes Heacock did not get the money Wolford is. Heacock buried himself with his loyalty to poor assistant coaches. As far as sticking "any" former coach in a discussion, that discussion begins and ends with Tressel.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
We are 4-2, and people are wishing us not to make the playoffs, wishing for the old regime that couldnt ever win a big game other than in 2006...thank u Mr. Mason.  Seriously, the potential is there. we need some serious Senior leadership and a gut check from the coaching staff.

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YTOWNALUM

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
Thank u Mr. Mason?   I remember a playoff game against James Madison in 2006 when Mason was completely shut down until the 4th quarter.  How can you make comments like that and call yourself a fan?