Author Topic: Post-Game Thoughts?  (Read 29240 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Game Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
Gentlemen,

Wow!  When Pita trashes our coaches, the verdict is in and this conversation is over. 8)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
I think the coaching staff should have to do laps!

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
the bottom line is until YSU fires STROLLO we will never see changes in our sports programs.  Let's hire the "VEST" for AD at least he knows how to achieve what we all desire and that is winning sports programs!!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »
WICK.....You made me laugh.  I calls em as I sees em

I do agree with the Coaches doing laps....for this one
perhaps around Kent would be good.  Sorry had to
say that.

I know, I'm a tough disciplinarian....age does that to you.

P. S.....STROLLO being let go....That is so senseless, it
is impossible to respond to that statement.  Could we
meet for a debate on that topic?  Good grief, what,  do you
think AD's have a Crystal Ball that they look into before they
do their hires........gimme a break!!!

GO PENGUINS

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
So everyone knows.......I am not trying to trash the coaching staff.  I am simply stating that coaching WAS an issue in this game.  ISU is a good team, but we have shown that we can play very, very well.  As coach Wolford states "The expectation here is Championships".  I do not care if we are beaten because of talent, and I'm not saying that we are at the level of winning NC's with the current experience level, and talent level, but the fundamentals were not there.  I would be proud if they would have played well and not won.  We played well for 1 half of football.  We didn't get off the bus for 2 qtrs.  The good thing is that at least we didn't have a rash of penalties. 

Keep in mind that Indiana State's game plan probably changed when they got up by 3 td's.  Mine would have anyway.  I would have run risky blitzing schemes.  Why not?  What do you have to lose...........a TD?  Big deal, we'll just score again.  Up by 3td's on offense..I would get a little more conservative with the O and I think they did.  Why risk a T/O?  The problem is that they didn't run risky plays.  They scored on toss sweep run plays.  It doesn't get any better than that if you are Indiana State.

This whole thing irritates the hell out of me.  I guess the reason is that IF (and that is a very qualified IF) we were somehow able to develop the D and keep playing good O and special teams we could possibly (but unlikely) play for the conference championship with the talent level on the team.  However, it is not going to happen when you give up big plays like we did and it is particularly frustrating to watch a team run the same play over and over and not be able to stop it.

Does anyone remember when we ran the read option against Illinois State in 2006?  That was the first time we used it.  Mason was our RB.  They had no answer.  We ran it every play and blew them out at home (I was there they were ranked 3rd at the time) and then we ran it in the playoffs against them and they still had no answer.  The same thing happened to us this week and last week as well.

I know that we have a young team but please spare me the excuses.  They were not that good IMOP.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:45:02 PM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »
the bottom line is until YSU fires STROLLO we will never see changes in our sports programs.  Let's hire the "VEST" for AD at least he knows how to achieve what we all desire and that is winning sports programs!!

The last time I checked the VEST didn't have wining anything programs except football.  The VEST is not for hire.  He is working for the Colts.

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
Strollo's track record of hiring speaks for its self.   

Offline YTOWNALUM

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
I was sick after this performance.  It appeared to me that people were giving up out there. 

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 02:37:08 AM »

Yea, hire Tre$$le back so he can bring more NCAA sanctions back to YSU.  He's proven he'll win at all costs no matter what rules are broken.  What a fraud

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:24 AM »
and what does any of this have to with Penguin football? If you want a trash Strollo/Heacock/Tressel thread ...than make it. None of these guys had anything to do with Saturday's loss. Start looking at some defensive coaches with the team now.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 08:02:17 AM »
Well I've waited to say my piece on this matter so here it goes;

1.  Indy State is a good football team period.

2.  Coaching staff needs a class on preperation.

3.  Pita and Ray you missed a great toast hosted by myself :) Road warriors ROCK!!  8)

GooooGuins!!!!!!!!!! 9-2
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 03:08:22 PM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
I think this goes back to something I was talking about previously ...the lack of use with some of our experienced players. I understand what people are saying about the better players need to play, but that can only go so far. You are always going to hope that the newest players are more skilled (or at least as-skilled) as you current starters. This means you are continuing to recruit well. Position coaches are only going to be able to teach "so much". There comes a point when an experienced player is the best coach of young players. Lack of this is what is going to extend the time the coaches will need improve the team.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
We all need to calm down...Please look at the 2 Deep depth charts and count how many Seniors are in the mix...look at games started etc,,,

The roster was gutted because we needed to upgrade size, speed, athleticism, and look like a FCS team...Wolford is recruiting his a$$ off but this is a 3-5 yr project...and then we should be back in the mix...Indy State will win more than you think..but we have to be patient and let the rebuild happen...

When u have Fresh and Sophs manning aloit of the positions you probably are not going to win championships...

The problem is we got lucky and got an offensive genuis that knows offensive football and can tutor QB's to make the pro's...Montgomery-and Big Ben...this team is improving and growing every week..Hess is what 4 games into his soph year...so again patience ...fans

Agree 100%. Some folks thinks this stuff happens overnight. It doesn't.

Coach could go the "full JUCO" route and get us better quicker. But that is a slippery slope. After each year or two, the cupboard is bare again. He's trying to find a balance between JUCO's (who can play now and keep us fans happy) and 4 year guys (who will build the solid championship foundation).

And it'll take 4 years minimum. Understand that reality.

With that said, we should see incremental improvement each year. Last year wasn't good. This game wasn't good.

But I can see the talent he has brought in. With patience and support (from us), I think Coach will get there.

Let's stay positive so potential recruits who read this stuff get excited. A player or two can make all the difference in the world.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:44:22 PM by Pizza »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
Pizza,

I am not one of those people that doesn't realize it is going to take time. What bothered me is that we were the better team last Saturday. Had we came to play the way we did against Michigan State, we would have beaten them by more than 2 scores. We shouldn't have lost that game. Take away the 21 spot and we win. We played in a fog. The first 15 minutes. That is in addition to the fact that we almost scored a defensive TD that we fumbled out of the endzone and gave it back. That is a play I blame on youth. That is a play that he will learn from. I know that coach practice ball protection.

The real problem that I had was the fact that we may need this win at the end if the year to have a shot at the playoffs. I believe that we could make some noise in the conference this year. That was an unnecessary loss.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
Pizza,

I am not one of those people that doesn't realize it is going to take time. What bothered me is that we were the better team last Saturday. Had we came to play the way we did against Michigan State, we would have beaten them by more than 2 scores. We shouldn't have lost that game. Take away the 21 spot and we win. We played in a fog. The first 15 minutes. That is in addition to the fact that we almost scored a defensive TD that we fumbled out of the endzone and gave it back. That is a play I blame on youth. That is a play that he will learn from. I know that coach practice ball protection.

The real problem that I had was the fact that we may need this win at the end if the year to have a shot at the playoffs. I believe that we could make some noise in the conference this year. That was an unnecessary loss.

Yep. I pretty much agree.

An unnecessary loss. Gotta win the games you should......and a few you shouldn't, to be great.