Author Topic: Post-Game Thoughts?  (Read 29246 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Post-Game Thoughts?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
Wick, I think you are going over the top with basketball. Heck I am very excited about Penguin hoops this year. We had all three TO's left Lecter ...Wolf did not call his last one ...nice sign of maturation as a HC, I was very pleased.

Maybe Kravitz is used to a higher talent level, but I just think we need more work on fundamentals. Then more use of upper-classmen to help. The secondary of ISU watched the ball the whole way ...you will not get any INTs that way (unless the pass is bad) ...but it is a good place to start. We need to worry about weight up front ...before height. I know you can make someone bigger, but not taller, but I do not buy it. We cannot wait 30-minutes to find a way to bring pressure.

Coach T and coach H always had issues with small backs (Freeny, Karpenter, Edwards, Stecker, even that little guy from Marshall). Although I misspoke in my previous post. Bell did not have 296 against us ...it was 256. So Bell did not set a record ...he is is second. The 1999 Adrian Peterson still has him by 4-yards. 

BTW: I forgot to mention how terrific Sharbaugh was in the game. Nice!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:41:13 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 08:53:37 AM »
Here is what I saw:

Coaching staff did not have the team ready to play.  How could we be so well prepared for Michigan State, Valpo and Illinois State and be so unprepared for Indiana State?

I may be answering my own question, but the offense was still in the second half lull it was in at the end of the Illinois State Game at the beginning of this game.

Indiana State played faster or least it appeared that way to me.

I see that our inability to recognize problems in defensive alignment is becoming a common theme.  Against Illinois State the receiver ran the same route on every single 3rd down and we were burned over the middle.  In this game we had the same type of issue where they ran the ball to the outside.  They also had the TE open over the middle.

Why don't we know how to run press coverage?  With our speed we should be in man in the secondary running true bump and run.  It's like we run the press half assed.  We are not covering well enough and it does not appear that we are using our safety and LB's for run support.  How many times did we have a LB in man coverage on a WR?  We did not get off of our blocks yesterday, especially on the corners.  Someone teach the corners how to get off their blocks please!

Finally, why do we show our defensive alignment all the time?  We only stunt on a blitz (and we are not blitzing much).  There is no shifting on the DL or by the LB's or the Safety.  When we do blitz we always show where it is coming from before the play is run.  Every time the tackle is gapped out that is the side the blitz is coming from.  All the QB has to do is read it and throw a bubble screen to the half back or get his WR open behind him.  I watched the RB release, block the corner down and get the WR open and I saw them get the ball to the RB while the WR blocked the corner out of bounds on the same defensive play.  They had two answers for that alignment.   We have to have the speed and physical play to get off of our blocks. 

I know we are young and this is a project, but my goodness we make it look like a 7 on 7 the way we play defense.  I think that Indiana State had a great game plan against our defense.  They did a great job of identifying our weaknesses.  One of them is that it takes us way, way way too long to identify a problem, coach the player up, and then get him to stop it.  USE a time out if something is looking like that.  Especially early in the game when you are getting taken to the woodshed.  Try to find an answer.

Our offense looked mortal against the blitz this week.  Why?  Illinois State blitzed and we were able to deal with it.  What happened this week?  Were we outmatched or not playing hard or both?

Damnit, The Buckeyes are going to suck this year so I was at least hoping that I could look forward to a possible playoff run or at least get close.  But you can't expect to be in the mix when you let someone score that many points on you, especially the way they did it.  That little running back should have been planted early and often.  Why do we have to load the box to stop a run play too?  Where are our LB's?  i never see them make plays unless they are in the secondary.  Is that a problem?

Starting to rant so I'll stop.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:55:47 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 08:54:31 AM »
1AA,
I agree with fundamentals.  We are lacking in that area for whatever reason.  Our defense is athletic and talented but we are not in position most of the time and too many missed tackles.  That is on the defensive coaches to fix yet it has been an issue two years now. 

I hope the week off this week the coaches make fundatmentals a priority.

SDSU will not be an easy game if we are not ready.  They almost beat Ill. St. on the road.

I dread the road game at NDSU that can get ugly.  They are probably the best team in the FCS right now.

Offline YSU RON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:09 AM »
Relax, it is only Wolford's start of his second year. It will take time to correct the disaster that Heacock left him. As you can see I didn't call him coach Heacock as he was not that or a recruiter or was he any good with the fans who supported the team. Heacock's team had to be gutted and replaced with players who can play. So give the team some time. Watch for a good team next year and the year after. Until then keep supporting this coach and team. GO YSU PENGUINS

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Let's not bring this back to a coach T vs. coach H vs. a coach W thread. We had plenty of time under the first two ...not as much under coach W. We just want to see some quality football for the massive increase in $$ the current staff has. I want to see improvement, no matter how slight it may be. So far I have seen two GFC O-backs rip us apart. I have seen two GFC QB's have good outings against us. We have yet to face the conference's best in either position.

We have seen some improvement in areas ...o line, QB, use of a more power-oriented back and a multi-back set on offense. Some improvement in routs by the WR's. Finally a realization that TE's are still vital in this conference ...especially with a pro-set QB. I fully expect Montgomery to mix in some non-QB snaps this season or next.

On defense I see some more advanced formations than under the predecessors, but no results.

I know this is very basic, and may sound naive in today's world of read-oriented offenses. However, I have always believed that an offense has two weapons ...running and passing. I have always watched YSU coaches do different things, but they tried to shut down one or the other. I prefer to stop the run in this conference, then let them beat us with the pass. Yes this requires top-notch db's/cb's that can play man. It requires big run-stopping lines; but most of all it requires line-backers from h3ll.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:53:57 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
REALLY....?????

I am stunned by all these posts.....

1) we win that game running away if we don't fumble the ball on defense going in.....

2) there were guys in position all day to make plays on defense...they just did not tackle...if you look
at every big plays Ind. St. had... we had multiple chances to bring em down....

3) there is not a team in the country that will letter as many fresh - sophs on defense as YSU...growing
pains...not a whole lot left to Coach W on D...

4) always difficult to travel that far and win on the road...AND...this is not your fathers Ind. St. team...so enough of the ..."we always beat these guys BS"...they will win there share of games this year...that team
is not bad...

5) as far as the onside kick....what did you expect them to do...even if they kick it away...with the TO's...they get the ball back with no time...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
Trian,

I'm not sure which game you were watching but I saw an average. Team beat us down like we didn't belong in the first half. More specifically the first 15 minutes. They had such a large lead that they could blitz the crap out of us. That. Is not the way you start a game  It took way to long for us to make any adjustments to what they were doing and I watched our safeties give up on plays. There were missed tackles but we were out of postion on thos toss sweep plays around the edge.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
So i guess after everybody checked out the 2 deep depth chart..they think we are going to be effective with frosh, and sophomores and JC transfers with very few gameday starts under their belts..not going to happen...

We have a long way to go and i am sure the tackling issues will be addressed during the bye week.

This team was gutted for a reason   we lacked depth, talent and athleticism, size..and that has been addressed. 

If we would have got a favorable call on the fumble recovery we would have a W...

I agree about the onside kick would have kicked it away...
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
Relax, it is only Wolford's start of his second year. It will take time to correct the disaster that Heacock left him. As you can see I didn't call him coach Heacock as he was not that or a recruiter or was he any good with the fans who supported the team. Heacock's team had to be gutted and replaced with players who can play. So give the team some time. Watch for a good team next year and the year after. Until then keep supporting this coach and team. GO YSU PENGUINS

Accountability dammit!  We're blaming Heacock still?   This sounds like one of those "Blame Bush" excuses.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
I felt the on-side kick was smart. just not executed well. We were not going to stop Bell. I also thought about the onside kick earlier. Also, we were afraid to blitz when we had them still in shock with the comeback attempt. However, it was allowing 21-points in the first 15-minutes that killed us. Then, not scoring on our opening possession of the second half was the dagger. We needed the turn-over, but we lost that as well. Although I am not convinced the ball did not cross. Replay had only one angle ...basically from behind & left.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:38:18 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
How could they run 4 sweeps for touchdowns.  It was not fancy or deceptive it was a sweep.  We looked lost defensively.  They made it look so easy.   The schedule does not get easier  North Dakota handled Minnesota.   I hope we make some adjustments over the next 2 weeks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:55:54 PM by YSU1 »

Offline YSU RON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »

Accountability dammit!  We're blaming Heacock still?   This sounds like one of those "Blame Bush" excuses.
Heacock is the problem for the shape the program was left to the current coach and you can't fix that big of a mess in 1 season plus 4 games. You could bring in the best coach in all of football and it wouldn't get done this quick. As far as accountability if after a few years he desn't produce then you hold him accountable. So don't get all worked up. At least you put Heacock in the company of the worst President in the history of this country.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »

Heacock is the problem for the shape the program was left to the current coach and you can't fix that big of a mess in 1 season plus 4 games. You could bring in the best coach in all of football and it wouldn't get done this quick. As far as accountability if after a few years he desn't produce then you hold him accountable. So don't get all worked up. At least you put Heacock in the company of the worst President in the history of this country.

What ever retard.  No one is claiming Wolford is Heacock.  That loss was on the coaching staff.  Not due to the talent level.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
If you go to the official athletic department website, you can see this headline: "Football's Valiant Comeback Falls Short at Indiana State."  This underscores the problem we have endured here for over a decade.  We accept mediocrity.  Clearly, yesterday was no moral victory because of any comeback.  It might have been the most unprepared any YSU team has ever been for a football game.

Now several posters have correctly cited the youth and inexperience of our defensive players.  That is very true, and I could accept it if they lined up properly, played hard, but lost to better opponents.  But the effort was not there during that first quarter and the schemes were atrocious.  That is on the coaches for either calling the wrong formations or not pulling starters faster if they were disregarding proper instructions.

Last night I watched a high school team with about two marginal D1 prospects defeat a nationally recruited all star team with over a dozen top tier D1 prospects.  Now Mooney loses to Red Lion 9 times out of 10, but yesterday a highly motivated and properly prepared team beat the odds.  All I am asking our exceptionally well-paid (for our level of football) staff to do is motivate our players and provide them with the technical knowledge to play up to their abilities.  That did not happen yesterday.  And that is why I continue to rebel against mediocrity.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »
Penguin Power..I am in total agreement

I made Pigs in the Blanket to serve fans,for our "stay at home, watch on TV"
(which was not an easy task for this long time road warrior) and
I know I did MORE prep work on those Pigs, than our coaches did
for the teams 1st half of the game, at least that is how I read it.  Too
bad for the team, the potential is there, I'm convinced of that....but Oh
my gosh.....the leaders were out to lunch!!!!

GO PENGUINS