Author Topic: Post-Game Thoughts?  (Read 29233 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Post-Game Thoughts?
« on: September 24, 2011, 05:13:45 PM »
Any thoughts?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Post-Game Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »
How about this ...record ...most rushing yardage ever gained against YSU ...by a single back & I think overall as well. Still don't think Kravitz is the issue? This is a middle of the pack club ...not to sound disrespectful to a team that just beat us. So what wins do we have to look forward to? I want to see YSU football. Big d-lines with run-stopping power and LB's that get in there and make plays. At some point we have to stop talking youth & "good losses" ...and win a ball game against someone with scholarship players. We win games with defense. This is not the SEC.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:54:50 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
thank you mr strollo for another great hire! You are the worst div1 athletic director! Wait a minute you have been very good at destroying what tressel built. Another 3 or 4 win year.  bring back the Vest!!!  Fire Strollo now for the sake of all ysu sports programs.

Offline Tigertown Big J

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
    • www.jjhuddle.com
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »
 >:(  Very frustrated with the lack of preparation.  It should not take us until halftime to figure out how to defend someone.  I wasn't a fan of getting rid of Coach H.  Trying to give this guy a chance, but not very confident right now. 
Go Guins!!! Drive for Five!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Shameful, embarrassing, humiliating.  Have I missed any words?  You invest your total emotions in this program, and they reward you with a sleep-walking, half-posterior performance for the first fifteen minutes.  And who was the mighty opponent: Indiana State.  An opponent that the better teams in this league will hold under 25 points and score against on at least 75% of their possessions.

Here are my final thoughts that largely echo the comments in the posts below.

First, Eric Wolford must learn to prepare a team for road games or he will meet the same fate as Jon Heacock.

Second, Eric Wolford must find a good defensive coordinator or he will meet the same fate as Jon Heacock.
Great game plan Coach Kravitz and brilliantly executed.  You made that little back look like freakin' Adrian Peterson.

Third, this atrocity of a performance will cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars.  We will not draw more than 10,000 (actual) for any of the remaining games.  Nor should we.  Casual fans have no obligation to watch bad football.

Strangely, this horror show convinced me to refuse to renew my basketball tickets.  Each year I seem to care less and less about basketball.  And the losing certainly did not elevate my enthusiasm.  But I bought tickets and went to most of the games out of a sense of loyalty to the university.  Not any more.  I have adopted a capitalist approach.  Give me a good football team and I will support both basketball teams.  Give me what I was forced to endure today and I refuse to support your secondary sports.  Ironically, that makes me the one-sport YSU fan that I used to denounce.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
We all need to calm down...Please look at the 2 Deep depth charts and count how many Seniors are in the mix...look at games started etc,,,

The roster was gutted because we needed to upgrade size, speed, athleticism, and look like a FCS team...Wolford is recruiting his ass off but this is a 3-5 yr project...and then we should be back in the mix...Indy State will win more than you think..but we have to be patient and let the rebuild happen...

When u have Fresh and Sophs manning aloit of the positions you probably are not going to win championships...

The problem is we got lucky and got an offensive genuis that knows offensive football and can tutor QB's to make the pro's...Montgomery-and Big Ben...this team is improving and growing every week..Hess is what 4 games into his soph year...so again patience ...fans
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
I think the coach gets an F today.  The team was not ready to play.  No excusses.  Looks like they thought the off week was this week.

ISU was too fast for us today. 

Speed kills and defense wins games.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
Our defense on the right side of the line was terrible, Sahir Bell loved going right!! Yes, he is a great runner with speed, but he had 4 huge runs that destroyed us. :-[

YSU's passing defense can not keep up with ISU's receivers!! Yet, ISU's defensive backs keep up with ours step for step.  :(

That fumble by our lineman on the one yd. line was super huge in ISU win. :'(

Well we still have seven more games to win.

Good post from the other thread I thought should be here. This is EXACTLY the point I am making. Our style of defense is not conducive to play in the Gateway. Just because the name changed does not mean the ball did. I just do not want to keep waiting to find out what we already know. Our secondary is all speed ...none of them know where the ball is most of the time. In this league, they are slower than ours, but they make plays on the ball. This forces the receivers to stay close as well. We just chase after them.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:14:28 PM »
We all need to calm down...Please look at the 2 Deep depth charts and count how many Seniors are in the mix...look at games started etc,,,

The roster was gutted because we needed to upgrade size, speed, athleticism, and look like a FCS team...Wolford is recruiting his a$$ off but this is a 3-5 yr project...and then we should be back in the mix...Indy State will win more than you think..but we have to be patient and let the rebuild happen...

When u have Fresh and Sophs manning aloit of the positions you probably are not going to win championships...

The problem is we got lucky and got an offensive genuis that knows offensive football and can tutor QB's to make the pro's...Montgomery-and Big Ben...this team is improving and growing every week..Hess is what 4 games into his soph year...so again patience ...fans

Good post
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
A couple quick observations:

Why weren't we prepared to handle the blitz?

With all the crappy play we still had a chance at the end.  Why in the world try an on-side kick?  I know we had two TOs left, did we have 3?

Onside kicks are successful what 3% of the time?

We're down 2, the better play is to kick deep, hope to hold them deep and get decent field position on a punt.

Kicking deep could have brought a holding penalty against them which probably happens 10-15% of the time (guessing of course)----10-15% is better odds than the 3% of recovering an onside kick.

I hated that call.

I'll have more to say tommw after I watch the game again, but THIS TEAM WAS NOT READY TO PLAY and that is on the coaching staff.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
A couple of things.  I believe Wolford is going to be good for us but he may have to change his D-Coordinator at years end.  Our defense is aweful and we still have to play UNI, NDSU, and SIU on the road.
Remember the program was a mess talent wise under Heacock and getting worse each year.  We need to win out at home and pray for a miracle on the road.  Finishing 6-5 if we go undefeated at home is a 3 game improvement over LY but we need to learn to play on the road and play 4 quarters of football.

If we are still struggling after 2012 season then we need to worry.  2012 should be the playoff year.  I hope.  It wouldn't surprise me we change D-Coordinators at years end.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:18:32 AM »
What is Devont'a Davis' status on the defense? I see he is falling on the depth chart and has NO recorded tackles the last two games.... Does it bother anyone else that when Wolford discusses playing on the road in the MVFC it's like a loss is a forgone conclusion?  You would think we were playing in Baton Rouge against LSU......Lastly, maybe Mike Stoops can replace Kravitz as it appears his days are numbered at U of Arizona.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
What is Devont'a Davis' status on the defense? I see he is falling on the depth chart and has NO recorded tackles the last two games.... Does it bother anyone else that when Wolford discusses playing on the road in the MVFC it's like a loss is a forgone conclusion?  You would think we were playing in Baton Rouge against LSU......Lastly, maybe Mike Stoops can replace Kravitz as it appears his days are numbered at U of Arizona.

On Stoops, if he doesn't survive at Arizona, do you really think he's going to drop down and come be the D coordinator at a mid tier FCS program after leading a BCS program? I think not

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
I really was kidding................ UofA was torched for 400+ on the ground...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 08:16:10 AM »
A couple quick observations:

Why weren't we prepared to handle the blitz?

With all the crappy play we still had a chance at the end.  Why in the world try an on-side kick?  I know we had two TOs left, did we have 3?

Onside kicks are successful what 3% of the time?

We're down 2, the better play is to kick deep, hope to hold them deep and get decent field position on a punt.

Kicking deep could have brought a holding penalty against them which probably happens 10-15% of the time (guessing of course)----10-15% is better odds than the 3% of recovering an onside kick.

I hated that call.

I'll have more to say tommw after I watch the game again, but THIS TEAM WAS NOT READY TO PLAY and that is on the coaching staff.

I was thinking on-side kick waaaay earlier(2nd qtr).  It doesn't look like we practice them.