Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 21363 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 03:22:39 PM »
Due to our economically challenged athletic Department. The portal and Calhoun are a gift from god! It has kept the stockpiling of players at the majors and gave the mids a fighting chance.  The bigs didn’t want another Butler and with transfer rules eased up were cherry picking good players and recruits.  The portal fixed it.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 04:18:31 PM »
I tend to agree with the above posters that feel coach C and the portal are a good mix.  Coach hit it out of the park in his 2022 portal haul and 2023 remains to be seen.  In sales you're as good as your last sale.

Having been at YSU for six years has given Calhoun time to build relationships with players and coaches.  I'm sure he's seen many college prospects at his camps he has annually.
I know he recruited Nelson out of hs and not sure on Cohil but he had a relationship with Dwayne and Brandon Rush while they were in high school.

I always hear that building relationships is the #1 factor in recruiting so I think coach C has a decent foundation laid down.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 04:19:26 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 05:26:32 PM »
I hope coach can get players from the portal that will be here for couple of years instead of one and done.
I hope a lot of power 5 bench players will join the mid majors by entering the portal to get more playing time.

Speaking on the question on whether coach C will stay after this year’s success, the FDU head coach just left to join Iona after just one year on the job. Of course, he took the team to the big dance and took down the one seat.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 07:28:19 PM »
I hope coach can get players from the portal that will be here for couple of years instead of one and done.
I hope a lot of power 5 bench players will join the mid majors by entering the portal to get more playing time.

Speaking on the question on whether coach C will stay after this year’s success, the FDU head coach just left to join Iona after just one year on the job. Of course, he took the team to the big dance and took down the one seat.

That whole dynamic with FDU is crazy.  If it weren't for the ridiculous rule that a school moving up to D1 can't be eligible for postseason, Merrimack would have made the tournament and Tobin Anderson wouldn't even have been considered for the Iona job. 

Instead FDU gets a play in game and wins, then takes down Purdue, and nearly pulled off another upset to the Sweet 16.  It got the FDU program a ton of exposure.  I did not know FDU had the smallest team in college basketball and didn't realize he took a 4-win team to what he accomplished in one year.  As I mentioned before, ironically Brandon Rush was at FDU last year. 

However, with that success now FDU is probably starting all over again.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 08:46:40 PM »
Portal New way of recruiting.   We seem to have adapted well and lets ride the success. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 09:45:32 PM »
News reported that Rick Pitino who had just took over St. John’s MBB team indicted that he would get rid of most of the players currently on the team because they would not fit into his style of play. Hopefully, Calhoun would be able to grab one of those guys when they enter the portal.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »

That whole dynamic with FDU is crazy.  If it weren't for the ridiculous rule that a school moving up to D1 can't be eligible for postseason, Merrimack would have made the tournament and Tobin Anderson wouldn't even have been considered for the Iona job. 

Instead FDU gets a play in game and wins, then takes down Purdue, and nearly pulled off another upset to the Sweet 16.  It got the FDU program a ton of exposure.  I did not know FDU had the smallest team in college basketball and didn't realize he took a 4-win team to what he accomplished in one year.  As I mentioned before, ironically Brandon Rush was at FDU last year. 

However, with that success now FDU is probably starting all over again.

The whole dynamic of your post is wrong.

Anderson was a finalist for the job when Pitino got it.  To say he wouldn't even be considered is probably the furthest from the truth.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 10:47:54 AM »

The NCAA issued an updated memo to college athletics programs regarding the waiver process for undergraduates who are two-time transfers.

“In all sports, four-year undergraduate student athletes who decide to transfer to a new NCAA school can generally be eligible to compete for the new school provided that they have not previously transferred and notify their current school by entering the NCAA Transfer Portal during their sport-specific transfer window,” the memo read.

Of course, that practice has been standard for a few years now, as college athletes became immediately eligible at their new institutions as a first-time transfer upon the inception of the transfer portal.

The memo continued, and noted the rules for athletes who did not qualify for the one-time transfer exception to become immediately eligible.

“A waiver process remains available for undergraduate student-athletes who do not qualify for the one-time transfer exception; however there have been changes made to the types of requests that will be considered.

“An undergraduate transfer waiver will only be considered for student-athletes who transfer for reasons related to the student-athlete’s physical or mental health and well-being; due to exigent circumstances outside the student-athlete’s control (e.g., physical or sexual assault or discrimination based on a protected class); or assertions involving diagnosed education impacting disabilities.”

The memo also said that waivers will no longer be approved just because the athlete’s participation opportunity at their former school changed, or even because of a coaching change or a change in the athlete’s scholarship status.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2023, 12:38:29 PM »
So that means that the 1,000 or so athletes that entered the portal are exempt from that?  need clarification

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2023, 02:32:17 PM »
I assume Exigent circumstances should include the lost of scholarship from the current school.
If that is true, we can only get players from the portal after they have completed 4 year of eligibility.
All others can only receiver waivers if they meet the exigent circumstances.
So, if we want to get players (from portal) who could play more than one year, they must receive waivers.
Am I on the right track?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2023, 02:39:23 PM »
Double ET i have no clue if you are on the right track?  Anyone else who knows the portal pretty good? 
Need answers on this subject

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 03:26:46 PM »
Maceo Austin from Sharon Kennedy is transferring from Duquesne .   He hasn't played much though last 2 years due to personal issues.    See if he considers us or is it not worth the personal issues.  He is listed at 6-5 and was a fairly high rated recruit out of High school.  Averaged 7 points a game as freshman at Duquesne.  But seem to have fallen off of the map and now wants to make a comeback for a year.   Any thoughts?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 03:46:03 PM »
I assume Exigent circumstances should include the lost of scholarship from the current school.
If that is true, we can only get players from the portal after they have completed 4 year of eligibility.
All others can only receiver waivers if they meet the exigent circumstances.
So, if we want to get players (from portal) who could play more than one year, they must receive waivers.
Am I on the right track?

Look again at the information that guinpen provided for us this morning. If a player from his original school wants to transfer to YSU, he could do so no matter how many years of eligibility he had remaining. Those "exigent circumstances" would only apply to a player who had previously transferred.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 04:11:24 PM »
Don't forget the extra year they get due to covid.   I believe they are using the 19-20 year as a guide.  That is why Rush is able to get an extra year

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2023, 04:27:31 PM »
Maceo Austin from Sharon Kennedy is transferring from Duquesne .   He hasn't played much though last 2 years due to personal issues.    See if he considers us or is it not worth the personal issues.  He is listed at 6-5 and was a fairly high rated recruit out of High school.  Averaged 7 points a game as freshman at Duquesne.  But seem to have fallen off of the map and now wants to make a comeback for a year.   Any thoughts?

Yes.  His dad having a disabilty always wanted Maceo to play close to home and Duquense was a great option.   Maybe YSU will be a great fit too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:30:05 PM by ucfpengbuck »