Author Topic: Transfer Portal  (Read 20352 times)

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Transfer Portal
« on: March 20, 2023, 09:16:23 AM »
Will Dunn is the first YSU player to entered the transfer portal.  Not really surprised by this.  He was one I could see dropping down to D2 or D3. 

His PT disappeared after the Detroit home game at the end of January, and I'm pretty sure that was the game Cohill yelled at him after a turnover.  He also played the most mins in that game at 19 than he did all season.  After that he only played in 6 of the final 11 games for a total of 13 mins and did not score.   

He really improved from his freshman year to his sophomore year and even started 13 games last year.  I was hoping for more improvement this year.  He did hit 6 of his 13 3-point attempts this year.  He seemed to struggle on the defensive side this year and turned the ball over too much.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Portal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:19:44 AM »
He is from Michigan and was recruited by Ferris state and Hillsdale and I heard a rumor that Ashland was showing some interest.  Just opens up another spot for transfer portal.  Who will be next?

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »
He is from Michigan and was recruited by Ferris state and Hillsdale and I heard a rumor that Ashland was showing some interest.  Just opens up another spot for transfer portal.  Who will be next?

Sorry I started this topic before I saw you had already done one. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 03:20:30 PM »
Not a surprise.  Will's minutes went down this season and I wish him well.  He really provided a big spark in some games in the 21-22 season,  Watched him play in the Cleveland pro-am and he was really drilling the three point shot.

Noticed Garvin Clarke from Akron is in the portal.  I'm pretty sure YSU offered him out of high school and not sure if that means anything or not in 2023.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 04:23:40 PM »
Not a surprise.  Will's minutes went down this season and I wish him well.  He really provided a big spark in some games in the 21-22 season,  Watched him play in the Cleveland pro-am and he was really drilling the three point shot.

Noticed Garvin Clarke from Akron is in the portal.  I'm pretty sure YSU offered him out of high school and not sure if that means anything or not in 2023.

Dunn shot well in HS with 3 balls is not the same as in D-1. Being 6’8” in HS, I am sure almost no one could defend him on those shots. It is almost like watching 3 point shots in warm up before the game. You may be able to shoot 10 in a row, but may not be able to make one in the game with good defense.

At about the same height, he is not Akuchie or Nelson who could create the 3 point shot opportunities.

I wish him success in the future.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »
 Best of luck to Will. I can tell you that the coaches are being very, very aggressive in the portal.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 12:01:09 PM »
Portal is terrible. Why do  think so many schools, that barely have business being the the NCAA tourney, are upsetting good teams?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 12:19:42 PM »
At first i thought it was bad for the game but now i see how a team can benefit from the portal as we did this past year.   I have no problem with teams and coaches taking advantage of the portal.  Any more from YSU plan on transferring out besides Dunn?

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 12:24:42 PM »
At first i thought it was bad for the game but now i see how a team can benefit from the portal as we did this past year.   I have no problem with teams and coaches taking advantage of the portal.  Any more from YSU plan on transferring out besides Dunn?

I agree with you. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 12:30:22 PM »
So you guys want to convert DI to to I-AA in non-football sports? Because that is exactly what the portal is doing. That and forcing higher salaries.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 12:31:35 PM »
Without the transfer portal, coach would have to bring in 4 freshmen this past season.
Adding them to our bench players, it would be lucky for us to win 5 games instead of  24.
The portal makes it more balance for the teams. The NCAA and NIT tournaments became more competitive.
Recruiting at the portal became more competitive and more challenging for the coaches.
I think our coaching staff is doing a good job. We shall wait and see who they are coming up with in the portal.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 12:42:01 PM »
Look if we were not previously competitive without the the portal, just what makes you think we will be anymore competitive WITH the the portal going forward? It is not like we are the only team that makes use of it. If it was Calhoun (not the portal), then he should be just as successful without the portal. Portal is terrible.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:49:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 01:16:55 PM »
Look if we were not previously competitive without the the portal, just what makes you think we will be anymore competitive WITH the the portal going forward? It is not like we are the only team that makes use of it. If it was Calhoun (not the portal), then he should be just as successful without the portal. Portal is terrible.

I would say he was pretty successful without the portal with guys like DQ, Naz, Covington, and Akuchie and where the program was headed until COVID, injuries, and the portal started. 

So you're basically saying it's a bad thing the mid majors are competitive in the tournament?  And that YSU nearly knocked off Oklahoma State

I'm not going to sit here and brag the portal up, but it is giving mid majors more of a chance

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 01:47:00 PM »
The transfer portal is the most radical change in the nature of college basketball since the beginning of the awarding of scholarships. Coaches that can navigate the new system (Calhoun) will thrive; coaches that are lost in this new process (that Green Bay guy who was fired during the season) will disappear. I don't like it but am glad our guy can function in this new world.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 02:57:28 PM »
     Agree Calhoun can function in this new environment and should maximize these abilities.  I would like to see the coaching staff strive more for defense and rebounding as opposed to an offense orientation.  Defense and rebounding travel well.  Offense left us vulnerable on off nights (to good defense and rebounding).  It was evident watching the Horizon League tournament and March Madness over the past two weekends that inferior teams that are quick, play defense and rebound have an advantage in pressure situations.     

Calhoun has been average at best recruiting from high schools.  For every "DQ, Naz, Covington, and Akuchie" there was an Alex Vargo, Daniel Ogoro, Cheick Traore, Luke Chicone, and Michael Lucarotti.  Division 2 talents all.  Atiba Taylor and Jelani Simmons were borderline Division 1 players.  Now Will Dunn and perhaps Jacori Owens will join the list.     

I do not like the portal.  However, we have a better opportunity to win with it than recruiting in the high schools.