Author Topic: Doug Phillips  (Read 43844 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Phillips
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »
Phillips Talks-the Talk...… time will tell if he can Walk-the-Walk..... Posting on Twitter pics of National Title trophies.  The fact is its irrelevant nearly 25 years ago.  Yes there is championship history but these coaches need to make their own history.  Its all getting OLD.  The last 3 coaches come in with the same MESSAGE to get the job.  We are Youngstown, We are tough, We a full of history, blah blah blah. SHOW ME DONT TELL ME. Its a broken record at this point and these clowns fall for it each time.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:35:37 PM by goodnews »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

Also, this does not mean that I will not get behind our new staff, I am already there. It seems as though coach P is doing some homework and look how many mistakes coach Wolf made going after a nationally known experienced candidate at DC. Yet his regional hire at OC, turned out to be a sensational choice. It is becoming equally clear that JT is more involved at this point, he is a recognized commodity.

You're killing me Smalls! How do you figure that Wolfords OC was any better than the DC? I know you love Monty but face it he had a huge problem in the MVFC as all the coaches and assistance had since YSU entering the MVFC. Monty's O put up incredible numbers during the weenie schedule but when it came time for when it counted (MVFC schedule) the statistics fell drastically. JT was the only coach YSU had that did well in the MVFC which yielded ~ 97 NC, 99 Runner up NC, 2000 1st round loss to Richmond. Since JT Heacock's 06 run and out right MVFC championship ring was his glory. Wolford's 5 years zero zip nada! Bo 2016 run with Wolf's kids and a bit of JT magic was his glory.

Thanks for your attention!

Red: You are just continuing on with your "hatefest". Anyone with any brains only has to look at coach M's record. The point that I am making is that I thought we may go more national with the assistants and did not. I am showing how the big name hire out of Florida was a big bust, while the Ohio guy proved to be very successful. I am hoping we will see the same this time around.

Dan Dan Dan,,, I even thanked you for paying attention. There is no "hate fest" Monty was not the superstar coach you make him out to be. His record alone debunks your argument. As the O-coordinator here, his offense was offensive when it came time to play the big boys in the MVFC no more no less. My brain is not clouded by delusional thought for some high powered offense that didn't exist under your man crush.

Bottom line: I'm pretty excited to see if the new guys are better than the old guy's. The bar isn't set to high for them considering the last 19 years.  fb

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »
Well Red, I guess you can call my post "Apocalypse Now". You see it as a war movie.  ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 08:48:23 AM »
  We all hope, or at least most of are rooting for Phillips to win.  But come on, Tressel is not beyond shady dealings.

Phillips was 5th out of 7 when the committee interviewed.  It was tim Tyrrell's job, Don Treadwell next, then Shane Montgomery.

Tressel and Sebo together in Florida, Sebo writes the check.  Tressel makes the hire.  It's over now, let's hope Tressel made the right call.  Yes, I am skeptical and think a running backs coach from Cincinnati, who was out of football for 7 years is going to struggle.

Phillips I think is average, we need more than average to turn this ship around.  Just my opinion.
One thing for DAMN SURE, it's just you opinion.  Show me the check!!  You are SLAMMING Jim Tressel and Bob Sebo, you better have some damn facts!!  You better have some facts to trash people like JT and BS.  Prove this claim or I am calling you a lying sack of sh**!  Put up, big mouth.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
Well Red, I guess you can call my post "Apocalypse Now". You see it as a war movie.  ;)

WOW Joe Biden!! That made me laugh out loud! Only because I don't know what the hell this means  ??? You "lying dogged face pony soldier"  8)

Next time I'm at a home game I have to make it a point to stop by your TG  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 10:18:49 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »

WOW Joe Biden!! That made me laugh out loud! Only because I don't know what the hell this means  ??? You "lying dogged face pony soldier"  8)

Next time I'm at a home game I have to make it a point to stop by your TG  ;D

I figured you would be one of us that might get that. :) We are at the new lot now. It will be good to have people stop by. We are by the 3rd light post on the northeast side. You will see the two sets of flags on each end. Always food and drink around.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
We have a fresh start in Football.  New coach who really seems to want to be here which is so important.  Most of the hires so far have been in contact with JT or one of his former coaches along the way. Most are young and should be hungry to do well rather than guys who have been at the big schools and things didn't work out. Hope they can put it all together.  Recruiting is the key along with hard work with our players who hopefully will buy in to the new group.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2020, 08:08:16 PM »
  We all hope, or at least most of are rooting for Phillips to win.  But come on, Tressel is not beyond shady dealings.

Phillips was 5th out of 7 when the committee interviewed.  It was tim Tyrrell's job, Don Treadwell next, then Shane Montgomery.

Tressel and Sebo together in Florida, Sebo writes the check.  Tressel makes the hire.  It's over now, let's hope Tressel made the right call.  Yes, I am skeptical and think a running backs coach from Cincinnati, who was out of football for 7 years is going to struggle.

Phillips I think is average, we need more than average to turn this ship around.  Just my opinion.
One thing for DAMN SURE, it's just you opinion.  Show me the check!!  You are SLAMMING Jim Tressel and Bob Sebo, you better have some damn facts!!  You better have some facts to trash people like JT and BS.  Prove this claim or I am calling you a lying sack of sh**!  Put up, big mouth.

Thinking along the same lines, do we really know JT is staying with Sebo and if so, so what. Has anyone seen a check? Why would Sebo be so interested in DP? Any proof that JT wanted DP? This site does not have a good track record with rumors.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »

Thinking along the same lines, do we really know JT is staying with Sebo and if so, so what. Has anyone seen a check? Why would Sebo be so interested in DP? Any proof that JT wanted DP? This site does not have a good track record with rumors.
I agree, JT is entitled to have friends.  I have friends stay with us on Hilton Head all the time, and maybe I should have been getting big checke?!?!?  Some of this crap reads like Bob S. thinks finding Doug P a job is his life's work.  I assume they were both in Salem at the same time, but it is a bunch of years later and would be easier just to give Phillips the money directly.  Tressel seems to start with $1M and go up with donors! 
I would assume JT was involved with hiring DP.  He is without doubt the smartest football mind at YSU, I hope they use the resource.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!