Author Topic: Doug Phillips  (Read 43842 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Doug Phillips
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
Guess we are not going to get that national recruiting footprint that I was hoping for.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2020, 08:41:39 PM »
I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.  You just never know how these hires are going to go.  I thought for sure that Bo would be a slam dunk.  He won 9 or 10 games each of his 7 seasons at one of the top 20 programs in the country, and yet he went 18-22 in MV conference play while with the Guins.  He also oversaw one of the most embarrassing losses in YSU football history.  It will be interesting.  Maybe he'll bring back the spring game.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »
Strollo emphasized the committee was not solely looking for a coach with local ties, but it did help.

“I’m sure that’s kind of the perception that we’re looking for that,” he said. “We aren’t. We reached out on anyone that came across our table and could identify. When all things are equal, there’s a great advantage to have someone who has a local connection to high school coaches, has connection to the state of Ohio. There might be some candidates that we talk to that have similar resumes, but if their resumes were from California or Texas, it didn’t make sense to us.

Strollo is a clown. The last head coach to have not grown up in the Mahoning Valley was Tressel lol.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
Guess we are not going to get that national recruiting footprint that I was hoping for.

I dont think he was saying that. He was stating that NDSU and SDSU have a national footprint a.d up to this point we did not.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2020, 09:47:25 PM »
Chief is right, Strollo is a clown.  YSU has a small time vision. 

But, Tressel 💯 hired Phillips.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:25 AM »
I am just saying that I expected that we would go with less experience (and cost) at Head Coach and make up for it with a couple of solid coordinators (like when we had Carl and Shane). However, judging from the selections, everyone is Youngstown. NE Ohio has diminishing returns on HS ball. The best HS ball has been in SW Ohio for years now. Central Ohio is the only place where football is growing at the HS level.

NDSU and SDSU recruit mostly untapped resources and this is a major part of their success. NE Ohio is not untapped. In fact it used to be perhaps the most popular area in the mid-west for recruiting. The xDSU's are pulling the top athletes from their area ...we are not and never going to. We have to recruit more nationally, or at least in these other parts of Ohio. Coach Shane could recruit nationally, but he brought us the bottom 2/3 of the state. Coach Carl clearly had a national footprint and his name will bring local kids.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »
All this talk about "national footprint"  Southern Ohio being the only place football is growing etc. is LOL funny.  I think St. Eds, Hoban, ST. Ignatius would beg to differ, and the 2019 champions were from all over the state.  The champions in 2018 were St. Edward (Division I), Archbishop Hoban (Division II), Kenston (Division III), Wyoming (Division IV), Orrville (Division V), Kirtland (Division VI) and McComb (Division VII) would also fly in the face of the Southern premise.  What you DO notice when looking at state champions is they repeat and repeat, which says the most important thing is NOT where they are from, but who is the coach.  THAT is what's important. Top talent goes Power 5, second line talent goes mid-majors and we get what's left.  Once in a while one slips through like Rivers, Reed, or maybe Crenshaw, but by in large we get third tier talent and so it comes to coaching.  Let's hope Phillips is the guy. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2020, 07:42:48 AM »
Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

Also, this does not mean that I will not get behind our new staff, I am already there. It seems as though coach P is doing some homework and look how many mistakes coach Wolf made going after a nationally known experienced candidate at DC. Yet his regional hire at OC, turned out to be a sensational choice. It is becoming equally clear that JT is more involved at this point, he is a recognized commodity.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

Also, this does not mean that I will not get behind our new staff, I am already there. It seems as though coach P is doing some homework and look how many mistakes coach Wolf made going after a nationally known experienced candidate at DC. Yet his regional hire at OC, turned out to be a sensational choice. It is becoming equally clear that JT is more involved at this point, he is a recognized commodity.
We had no name coordinators paid peanuts in the 90's.  If the HC is "the guy", they he will develop coordinators or find coordinators that can coach, but don't yet have "big names".   Football, more than any other sport is all about the HC.  Let's all hope Phillips is "the guy!"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »

You're killing me Smalls! How do you figure that Wolfords OC was any better than the DC? I know you love Monty but face it he had a huge problem in the MVFC as all the coaches and assistance had since YSU entering the MVFC. Monty's O put up incredible numbers during the weenie schedule but when it came time for when it counted (MVFC schedule) the statistics fell drastically. JT was the only coach YSU had that did well in the MVFC which yielded ~ 97 NC, 99 Runner up NC, 2000 1st round loss to Richmond. Since JT Heacock's 06 run and out right MVFC championship ring was his glory. Wolford's 5 years zero zip nada! Bo 2016 run with Wolf's kids and a bit of JT magic was his glory.

Thanks for your attention!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »
I was angry when we hired Phillips because rumors suggested that a wealthy donor had subverted the will of the committee.  It brought back terrible memories of the "Monus gang" and all the damage they did to the university.

Now as the facts become more clear, it looks like we were fortunate beyond all expectations.  Phillips was a position coach for a top 25 FBS program.  His coordinators (apparently, nothing official yet) have experience "as coordinators" on the D2, D3, or even FCS level.  Given monetary constraints, two weeks ago I did not believe any of this was possible.  There are no guarantees, but this was the logical move in the direction away from the Pelini debacle.

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 12:17:00 PM »
Good post Wick250. I was here through the Monus debacle and shared the same fears. Its possible that Sebo tipped the scales but wealthy donors are influential at most universities for better and worse. What matters now is the outcome.  I was also here through the Tressel years and while I have issues with Tressel as president, I also saw the power of YSU football to unite the community in a positive way.  That may not be repeatable for a number of reasons at that scale, but restoring some part of the past can do nothing but help. Its clear that Pelini ran from developing the connection between the University and the community to the point that anger became apathy. At least when fans are angry they care. It will be difficult to develop interest from apathy but I hope he is successful.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
A couple things are true.  Bob Sebo has a ton of money.  JT and BS are friends.

EVERYTHING ELSE BEING THROW AROUND HERE IS SHIFTY ADAM SHIFF level of SPECULATION WITHOUT A SHRED OF ACTUAL EVIDENCE OF ANYTHING FACTUAL. 
Jim Tressel, Bob Sebo and ESPECIALLY Doug Phillips deserve better treatment.  You guys all call yourselves fans then "report" that since JT was as BS's house he must have "bought" the job for Doug Phillips with a donation!?!?!?!  You need FACTS to back up such a ridiculous claim!  I challenge ANYBODY on the "Sebo donation to influence the Phillips hiring" bandwagon to produce any evidence, and if not to apologize on this thread to JT, BS, and especially Coach Phillips.
This has been embarrassing and I find if completely unacceptable treatment to men I find admirable.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »

You're killing me Smalls! How do you figure that Wolfords OC was any better than the DC? I know you love Monty but face it he had a huge problem in the MVFC as all the coaches and assistance had since YSU entering the MVFC. Monty's O put up incredible numbers during the weenie schedule but when it came time for when it counted (MVFC schedule) the statistics fell drastically. JT was the only coach YSU had that did well in the MVFC which yielded ~ 97 NC, 99 Runner up NC, 2000 1st round loss to Richmond. Since JT Heacock's 06 run and out right MVFC championship ring was his glory. Wolford's 5 years zero zip nada! Bo 2016 run with Wolf's kids and a bit of JT magic was his glory.

Thanks for your attention!

Red: You are just continuing on with your "hatefest". Anyone with any brains only has to look at coach M's record. The point that I am making is that I thought we may go more national with the assistants and did not. I am showing how the big name hire out of Florida was a big bust, while the Ohio guy proved to be very successful. I am hoping we will see the same this time around.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »
  We all hope, or at least most of are rooting for Phillips to win.  But come on, Tressel is not beyond shady dealings.

Phillips was 5th out of 7 when the committee interviewed.  It was tim Tyrrell's job, Don Treadwell next, then Shane Montgomery.

Tressel and Sebo together in Florida, Sebo writes the check.  Tressel makes the hire.  It's over now, let's hope Tressel made the right call.  Yes, I am skeptical and think a running backs coach from Cincinnati, who was out of football for 7 years is going to struggle.

Phillips I think is average, we need more than average to turn this ship around.  Just my opinion.