Author Topic: Doug Phillips  (Read 43852 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Phillips
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
Pete you are correct.  Just heard that Tressel who has been in Florida since last Saturday has been staying with Sebo at his home.   That he and his wife Ellen are there with Sebo and his wife.  This smells really bad.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
Pete you are correct.  Just heard that Tressel who has been in Florida since last Saturday has been staying with Sebo at his home.   That he and his wife Ellen are there with Sebo and his wife.  This smells really bad.
How in the world does this "smell bad"?  You guys watch to much MSNBC conspiracy stories.  I am certainly NOT saying JT didn't influenced this choice, but BS DIDN'T pay him to pick Phillips!  You guys are weak Oliver Stone wannabes!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 10:42:28 AM »
My two cents for what it's worth (no dog in the fight) just a casual fan.

MoRon and JT are going the cheap route to coaching until Donald D'Alesio is done learning the ropes in his "unpaid" stint with BO at LSU. He'll come back as HC and they'll rename Stambaugh to D'Alesio.

Sadly JT seems to be going off the deep end  with the good ole boy system :'(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:03:38 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 11:11:07 AM »

MoRon and JT are going the cheap route to coaching until Donald D'Alesio is done learning the ropes in his "unpaid" stint with BO at LSU. He'll come back as HC and they'll rename Stambaugh to D'Alesio.

Who said Dalesio’s job at LSU was unpaid?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 11:34:05 AM »

Who said Dalesio’s job at LSU was unpaid?

Sorry I skimmed the article and thought I seen a comment about an unpaid position.

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop-...bruary-2-2020/

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
How in the world does this "smell bad"?  You guys watch to much MSNBC conspiracy stories.  I am certainly NOT saying JT didn't influenced this choice, but BS DIDN'T pay him to pick Phillips!  You guys are weak Oliver Stone wannabes!

I don't have a dog in the fight either...just relaying how it all went down when Tyrrell was in and then out so fast.  Money talks... BS walks...we complain all the time on how much money NDSU has...well that comes from oil money donations from boosters...we finally get one and people complain...take the money...let's face it...it is all recruiting and assistant coaches in college football.  Until I see that, I won't pass judgement.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Northcoast Penguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »
I don't know which is more entertaining.  Reading these post or the Impeachment Sham.  Three (3) coaches have been shamed, the facts from a "good source" were false, claims of JT buying this coach while in Florida without facts and having your minds already made up that the newly hired coach is a bad choice before his hiring is announced AND before he is introduced to anyone.

It is what it is.  The program had regressed and everyone wants the 90's back again.  Not going to happen for some time.  Either support this guy and the program or stay home but stop the trashing the new coach.  He should be welcomed to the community and program by the fans and alumnus.  He has a difficult job as it is.  Totally surprised by these posts.  Been following YSU since the 80's.  Never have I seen anyone come down as hard on a coach as this one.  We all need to lighten up, support this guy and the University with this choice.

My rant is done!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
 Northcoast no sham, these are all facts:
1. Tressel left for Florida last Saturday, all week staying at the home of Bob Sebo who pushed hard for Doug Phillips. Sebo is making a significant gift to YSU.
2. Phillips was not in top three as of Wednesday night.  He did interview last weekend in Canton, and the committee did not make the cut.
3. Tressel stepped in and said we are hiring Phillips.
4. Phillips was out of football for seven years, most recently running backs coach at Cincinnati.  Never a coordinator.

Now this is opinion:  If Tressel was going to step in, he could have at least been part of the interview process in Canton and not vacationing in Florida.  Another opinion, Phillips in way over his head, this has disaster written all over it.

Also hearing staff will be mostly grad assistants and young guys from Cincinnati and Iowa State. We will see if this is accurate.  I am sure Phillips will hire his brother who is a high school coach at Stow.

I'm done til spring ball. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 02:04:37 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 02:25:33 PM »
Money talks and Sebo strikes, that's all I have to say.

Online goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
I hope its a SIGNIFICANT CHECK since YSU Football is now the PAWN.  He certainly has the $$$$ to make a difference.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 02:48:32 PM »
If YSU does not have the money to compete at this level, they should drop back to Division 2.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 04:33:31 PM »
If YSU does not have the money to compete at this level, they should drop back to Division 2.

Come on guys let’s have some perspective. The MVFC is harder to compete in than the MAC. We have a very competitive FCS football team and are probably in the top quartile when it comes to the entire subdivision. Butler was an atrocity... but we usually do very well against non conference teams (Samford, Howard, Robert Morris, Duquesne etc.

We’re a competitive FCS program, just not elite like we want to be.

Online goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 04:37:29 PM »
We will find out on 9/5 if the MAC is easier.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »
This thread has taught me a couple of things.

1. Most folks on this board need better sources.
2. Way too many negative Nancy's.

As much as I hate to admit it, I no longer feel that we are on the same level as the mid MAc schools. A true YSU fan really only has one option at this point, trust that the powers to be know what they are doing and give the new coach a chance to prove himself. I believe that JT came to us as a lowly QB coach and look how he turned out, Let's all hope that Doug does better.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2020, 05:50:57 PM »
This may or may not make you feel better, depending on your stance on this selection.

As everybody now knows, Phillips was a position coach at Cincinnati for the past three years.  Did you realize how highly rated Cincinnati football has been lately?  Here are the final ratings for this past season from a sample of polling services.

#21 AP
#21 Coaches
#21 Massey
#30 Sagarin

So we hired a position coach from a nearly top 20 ranked program (whether Cincy deserved that status is irrelevant....they have it.)  One week ago in the aftermath of the revelation about Marrow's salary, a FBS position coach at a successful program seemed out-of-bounds.

Take this for whatever you think it is worth.