Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 99635 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
Seriously we play in the toughest conference in FCS and we are hiring a HS coach. You guys are ok with this.  The media needs to ask why.  How is he better than Montgomery or any other proven  college coach.

Monty was a train wreck as a HC.

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2020, 07:32:45 PM »
Seriously we play in the toughest conference in FCS and we are hiring a HS coach. You guys are ok with this.  The media needs to ask why.  How is he better than Montgomery or any other proven  college coach.

May be this is the low cost option that we could afford.
I could not afford a Cadillac on my YSU salary, so I drive a Chevy. Lol

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2020, 08:26:42 PM »
Tyrell is a done deal then? So I heard tressel wanted him, how does that everyone else feel about the hire? Big jump from high school to FCS

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »

May be this is the low cost option that we could afford.
I could not afford a Cadillac on my YSU salary, so I drive a Chevy. Lol

I hope the hire is not just for money reasons but assuming that it is not I would guess that he would not cost as much as the others. That said it would stand to reason that there would be more money for a stronger staff.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:18 PM »
IMO...we have had three straight busts in 20 years.  All with FCS, FBS, and NFL resumes.  How has that worked out for us?  I mean, we aren’t replacing Tressel or Bohl or Meyer or an “All Time” HC?  We are trying to get out of the damn gutter.  If Tyrell doesn’t work out...oh well. I mean...I know it CAN get worse than what we’ve had but unfortunately...not by much.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2020, 09:30:14 PM »
So again how is a HC coach have any of the qualifications in running a Div 1 program.  The Bison and other conference members are laughing their ass of and penciling in another 4 wins.  How is the HC coach better than a coach who coordinated pro football offenses and asst coaches that have recruited nationally.  Our program is on fumes and this could just redline us out of D1 football.  Sigh
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2020, 09:44:45 PM »
So again how is a HC coach have any of the qualifications in running a Div 1 program.  The Bison and other conference members are laughing their a$$ of and penciling in another 4 wins.  How is the HC coach better than a coach who coordinated pro football offenses and asst coaches that have recruited nationally.  Our program is on fumes and this could just redline us out of D1 football.  Sigh
With you on all your thoughts and concerns. This program will not come close to 4 wins. It's going to get ugly real quick and it starts with Akron, the zips are going to humiliate us

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »
If he gets stuck with Bo's assistants you are probably right.  Its safe to say this guy knows talent and can relate to the kids of today.  If he can recruit Ohio, Western PA and get back to South Florida he will be able to billed what the last three coaches couldn't.  He can dream and so can we.  Its a huge gamble but exciting at the same time. If Crenshaw is a done deal he has something to build upon.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2020, 10:12:02 PM »
Worth sharing this posting from Cleveland.com when he was hired at Hoban:

“Tyrrell returns to Northeast Ohio after spending five season as head coach at Chaminade-Madonna College Prep in Hollywood, Fla. Tyrrell amassed a 39-18 record at Chaminade-Madonna, including a 13-1 record and trip to the state semifinals in his second season.

He was named South Florida coach of the year by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and district coach of the year in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Tyrrell was the head coach at Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas for seven seasons. He also served as tight ends/tackles coach at Youngstown State from 1991-2001.

Tyrrell graduated from Youngstown Ursuline and Youngstown State, where he was a member of the 1993, 1994, and 1997 Division I-AA National Championship teams.“

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:57 PM »
Starting to wonder if he was headed to YSU as a coordinator prior to Bo resigning? Just seems too coincidental.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 11:30:17 PM by goodnews »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »
Financial restrictions are an obstacle that we cannot avoid.  Given that context, it looks like it came down to hiring one of two recycled head coaches with poor records (Montgomery and Treadwell at Miami) or gambling on a radical new approach.  If Tressel was not at YSU, this decision would freak me out.  But I will support the call of the guy in town who knows a hundred times more about football coaching than any of us on this site.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »

“Tyrrell returns to Northeast Ohio after spending five season as head coach at Chaminade-Madonna College Prep in Hollywood, Fla. Tyrrell amassed a 39-18 record at Chaminade-Madonna, including a 13-1 record and trip to the state semifinals in his second season.

He was named South Florida coach of the year by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and district coach of the year in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Tyrrell was the head coach at Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas for seven seasons. He also served as tight ends/tackles coach at Youngstown State from 1991-2001.

Tyrrell graduated from Youngstown Ursuline and Youngstown State, where he was a member of the 1993, 1994, and 1997 Division I-AA National Championship teams.“

Somethings not quite right with this bio... he was a coach from 91-2001? But was also on the 93 94 and 97 championship teams?

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
Those of you who are putting all of your faith in Tressel, remember a couple of things...first, he was responsible for Bo coming here.  How did that work out?  Second, for all of the accomplishments that are public, the state of YSU as an organization under his leadership, has been mixed at best.  There is plenty of money at YSU. Like all organizations, they cry poor when they dont want to do something and find the money for what they want to do.  If he is such a great fund raiser, and the rich powerful alums are behind a particular person, money can be had to subsidize a coach and staff for the term of the contract. 

If you want to give him credit for recruiting a HS coach and the coach is successful, great. If its another bust, dont blame Strollo, its on him.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
  I enjoy the conversation both ways on the hiring of Tim Tyrrell.  Thats what I enjoy most about this site, that we can agree to disagree, and there is a place for YSU fans to have discussion.

Without question this hire is a risk, and it is Tressel's hire, however he will be long gone when we determined if Tyrrell is successful;  so Strollo will get the praise of criticism.  The safe way would have been Treadwell or Montgomery.  I think Montgomery would have been a disaster.  I like the risk, and only time will tell on the success.

As for Tressel, he is God like in this community, but he has his scars as well.  Without question, a great football coach.  Mixed results in hiring as an AD here at YSU.  He put together a committee several years ago to hire a basketball coach, most of the committee nixed John Robic, but he did what he wanted and hired Robic, who was a bust.   If you are going to do what you want anyway, don't put together a fraud committee.  Tressel has had issues with following the rules.  Ray Isaac getting paid to do nothing by Mickey Monus was orchestrated by Tressel and his lying to the NCAA cost him his job at Ohio State.

But back to Tyrrell, he needs our support, and we need to give him a chance, he is one of our own.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2020, 09:07:07 AM »

Somethings not quite right with this bio... he was a coach from 91-2001? But was also on the 93 94 and 97 championship teams?

Asked my buddy who was on the championship teams in 93 and 94, and he stated he was a player coach from 1991 to 1994, then stayed on as a coach and he graduated.