Author Topic: Attendance reality  (Read 22612 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Attendance reality
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »
For years on this board people have barked about our schedule and used it as the reason we have so many empty seats.

Last home game was against a playoff team from last year, tonight we hosted the # 3 team in the country. No more butts in the seats then our game against Howard.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance reality
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 11:07:52 PM »
It was probably roughly equivalent but to be honest I thought there were more people there tonight. Won't be many the rest of the way though I'm guessing

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:29 AM »
For the record:
Howard 12,380
SDSU    12,381
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YGUINSNO1

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 05:37:30 PM »
Yep...The usual result in stands   😕

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 06:25:29 AM »
Attendance has been pretty good this year ...so far. The two new loges (from the media moving across the field) sold in advance and the line is still long for more. It was smart to let the HS bands stay as reward for the trip. I propose that we do a parade of bands before the game next time. Bring in about 6-10 bands for the parade & then they march right into Stambaugh for the show.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
The two new loges (from the media moving across the field) sold in advance and the line is still long for more.
Perhaps we screwed up not building loges to the end of East stands extending the Don C Multimedia Center from end to end?  Would have been MUCH easier to do as one project than starting a second one later?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
For the record:
Howard 12,380
SDSU    12,381

Point made that it is not about who we are playing. There is a core group of YSU fans and others that it is not that important to. Just the way it is.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 08:46:10 PM »
Guinpen, I suppose that is a valid point. But, as a core fan, I still prefer games against opponents like SDSU.
On another note, had we beaten UNI the week prior, I believe attendance would have been better.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:02 AM »
I think its safe to say diehard fans of yesterday are gone and not just at YSU.  People want an experience not just a chairback seat.  Food and social environment.  The game is merely an after thgt.  Thats why I think a beer garden and patio area that overlooks the field is the way to go.  Between the the east stands and beeghly. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »
I think its safe to say diehard fans of yesterday are gone and not just at YSU.  People want an experience not just a chairback seat.  Food and social environment.  The game is merely an after thgt.  Thats why I think a beer garden and patio area that overlooks the field is the way to go.  Between the the east stands and beeghly.
I think that sounds like an interesting idea.  "The Corner" is VERY successful for the Indians, and worth trying.  Club seating with food service facilities is another idea many, including JMU, have tried with GREAT success.  One thing for sure, if you aren't moving forward, you are moving backward!  I think the DCMC is a great addition, but with -0- fan benefits.  We most often vote based on the economy, and I am strongly considering voting "NO" on the Penguin Club next year.  I can buy a portable seat back for about $20 vs. several HUNDRED dollars. I can afford the seating, but want to register a "no" vote to being ignored.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 05:30:24 PM »
Reality is that 10-15k is the norm now.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 09:07:43 AM »
10-15 what the norm in the past too.  I could only find 1997 attendance records for our championship years, but we averaged less than 15K in 1997 and that included Kent State which brought more fans than does South Dakota.   BTW 1997 biggest crowd was Buffalo which is also an easy away game trip for their fans.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »

agree

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 01:30:33 PM »
From an old media guide, here are the average attendance figures for the six seasons that Tressel took the team to the national championship game:

1991   11,619
1992   11,935
1993   10,717
1994   16,181
1997   14,721
1999   16,765

We all remember a few big crowds from the 90s, but they were not the norm.  It took three consecutive appearances in the championship game to produce a huge bump in attendance.

In this age of ESPN+ HD streaming, we are actually doing okay.  Beyond a few select programs, most FCS teams struggle at the gate.  If you have ESPN streaming, you can see that for yourself on any Saturday afternoon.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Again good points Wick. I also think that might have been about the time that they enclosed the stadium, so much of that bump could have been from the people that used to stand around the fence.