Author Topic: fcs play-offs  (Read 13118 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: fcs play-offs
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
You guys are in the LaLa land of make believe that an FCS championship run is better than moving up.  Ask Boise St how it worked for them. Other than your teams fans nobody cares about FCS football. The Bison could pull it off like Boise did.  I don’t see many of the BCS teams wanting to drop down for a championship run!  It’s about exposure not minor football championships.  As for the costs of the football program I think the students are footing most of the bill to pay for football at YSU.   If that was taken away we would be another Butler.

I don't give a sh** if other people around the country know who we are or care. I'd rather go to the playoffs than the WhoTheHellCares Bowl brought to you by Dollar Tree.

What's about exposure? Every team has their games available to everyone now......I can pick from about a hundred games every Saturday.

If you're worried about costs, ask the administrations at places like Kent and Akron if they like losing millions a year to play "big time" football. They are guaranteed to lose money every single season with ZERO chances at ever winning anything outside of a conference championship and a garbage bowl.

If you think the prospects for a fun year are better at a school like that, go watch them. Enjoy that big time atmosphere LOL.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
You guys are in the LaLa land of make believe that an FCS championship run is better than moving up.  Ask Boise St how it worked for them. Other than your teams fans nobody cares about FCS football. The Bison could pull it off like Boise did.  I don’t see many of the BCS teams wanting to drop down for a championship run!  It’s about exposure not minor football championships.  As for the costs of the football program I think the students are footing most of the bill to pay for football at YSU.   If that was taken away we would be another Butler.

I don't give a sh** if other people around the country know who we are or care. I'd rather go to the playoffs than the WhoTheHellCares Bowl brought to you by Dollar Tree.

What's about exposure? Every team has their games available to everyone now......I can pick from about a hundred games every Saturday.

If you're worried about costs, ask the administrations at places like Kent and Akron if they like losing millions a year to play "big time" football. They are guaranteed to lose money every single season with ZERO chances at ever winning anything outside of a conference championship and a garbage bowl.

If you think the prospects for a fun year are better at a school like that, go watch them. Enjoy that big time atmosphere LOL.
I'm 100% in with HappyPenguin.  In a moment of truth, I'm sure both Kent and Akron would like to be meaningful in their programs. Honest to goodness, I did check on the  "WhoTheHellCares Bowl brought to you by Dollar Tree"  and couldn't find it on the schedule (I did see one brought to you by Dollar General instead).  I did see some games with as many fans as we had the last couple games when we were hopeless mired in the second division and terrible weather.  That second/third/even fourth tier "FBS" football is a hopeless mess for most teams and thank goodness we don't have to deal with it.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »
I'll take the MAC as is over where we are.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:04 PM »
from top to bottom we are in the best FCS conference in the country

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
I have followed YSU sports for a long time.  Always thought we would get into the MAC and then have more local rivalries, closer travel, etc.  But I have given up on that thought due to the cost involved and the YSU budget situation and the local economy.  Just doesn't seem possible.  At one point thought the MAC would come down to near our level which we could afford, but it doesn't seem possible.  If we would have gotten in in 1995, not sure what would be so today.  It was close.  For me I enjoy the games we are in and accept that is where it is.  Like that girl you wanted in HS, maybe you are better off without her.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
I have followed YSU sports for a long time.  Always thought we would get into the MAC and then have more local rivalries, closer travel, etc.  But I have given up on that thought due to the cost involved and the YSU budget situation and the local economy.  Just doesn't seem possible.  At one point thought the MAC would come down to near our level which we could afford, but it doesn't seem possible.  If we would have gotten in in 1995, not sure what would be so today.  It was close.  For me I enjoy the games we are in and accept that is where it is.  Like that girl you wanted in HS, maybe you are better off without her.

The more local games is the only reason I’d want to move to the MAC. Not sure why the MAC doesn’t move down to FCS. Seems like they’d be better off from a competitive and financial perspective

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
If the MAC would drop down that would be IDEAL for us, and probably at least half their member programs, if they were being honest with themselves.

I'm sure they would still find excuses to not play us LOL. Some of the best times I had were the Kent and Akron games I would love to play them again.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »

Boise is the very rare exception to the rule and has twice the population of Fargo to boot. Ask Marshall, Georgia Southern, Appy or Western Kentucky when was the last time they were top ten FBS. I doubt that 1 person out of 10 could tell you the conference these schools are in. So much for exposure.

Is an obscure minor bowl any better then a minor football championship? Most schools already in a power 5 conference, get very little exposure.

The separation between the Power 5 and the FBS pretenders will continue to grow and at some point there will be a break. That is when YSU must be ready to take advantage. YSU, Akron, Kent or NDSU will never make the FBS play-offs. NDSU would be crazy to move up, they have a great thing going.

I have very little interest in our current league, great conference just no interest in most of the schools. At some point YSU will be playing in a league with some of the current MAC schools, just a matter of when and at what level.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »

Boise is the very rare exception to the rule and has twice the population of Fargo to boot. Ask Marshall, Georgia Southern, Appy or Western Kentucky when was the last time they were top ten FBS. I doubt that 1 person out of 10 could tell you the conference these schools are in. So much for exposure.

Is an obscure minor bowl any better then a minor football championship? Most schools already in a power 5 conference, get very little exposure.

The separation between the Power 5 and the FBS pretenders will continue to grow and at some point there will be a break. That is when YSU must be ready to take advantage. YSU, Akron, Kent or NDSU will never make the FBS play-offs. NDSU would be crazy to move up, they have a great thing going.

I have very little interest in our current league, great conference just no interest in most of the schools. At some point YSU will be playing in a league with some of the current MAC schools, just a matter of when and at what level.

App State was ranked top 25 at one point this year. Almost beat Penn State in week 1.

YSU is never moving up due to money. Akron and Kent's programs are irrelevant. Toledo, BGSU are decent programs. Nothing serious...

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
I'll take the MAC as is over where we are.
I don't like where we are either. 
1. different conferences for football and other sports doesn't work for rivalries.
2. playing in the "Dakota League" is way bad on travel.  We are by FAR the furthest East team in the MVFC, and it kills us on travel and reduces "away visitors". 
3 MAC sucks because we would be second tier every year, in almost every sport.  Nobody wants to lose all the time.
4. Cost to compete in MAC is way beyond YSU.  Take a look at Akron budget mess.
5 OVC is only conference that makes sense for YSU!   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!