Author Topic: Scalzo: YSU men must start run tonight  (Read 18294 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: YSU men must start run tonight
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »
YOUNGSTOWN – If there was a time Youngstown State needed to make a stand, that time is now.

The men’s basketball team is in eighth place in the Horizon League, but had two close games against UIC and Milwaukee this month that could’ve made this team 5-4 and a half-game out of fourth place.

The top six teams at the end of the regular season have to win three games in the March 3-7 postseason tournament at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit to advance to the NCAA Tournament.

YSU is 3-6 in the Horizon League and 9-13 overall and has five of its next seven games at the Beeghly Center — starting tonight against last-place Cleveland State (6-15, 2-7), starting at 7.

The Vikings have won four of the last five against YSU, the exception being CSU’s home game last season at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. That was one of the Penguins’ best defensive performances in recent memory.

As good as YSU is offensively, scoring nearly 80 points per game, the Penguins are near the bottom of the league defensively, surrendering more than 86 points per game.

“We know they’re going to play hard, going to play physical and pick you up full-court over the floor,” YSU coach Jerry Slocum said. “That’s their M.O. They’ve had games in the 50s.”

CSU averages 66 points per game, dead last in the league, but is second in defense — allowing 68 per game.

The Penguins cannot think they can get away with simply outscoring this opponent. They need, like the game last year in the Q, to make some stops. YSU did make some of those necessary moves in last week’s game at Green Bay, winning for the first time since a first-round post-season game in 2003.

The Penguins limited the Green Bay offense to 44 percent from the floor and won the rebounding edge.

Maybe it had to do with the easier travel schedule this season. Last year, YSU had a nightmarish delay in Chicago, delaying it almost 10 hours from getting to Green Bay. No time to practice in Green Bay’s Resch Center.

“It was our best trip up there, to be honest with you,” Slocum said. “It was 40 degrees. Normally you’re waiting for the dog sleds to show up. Normally we don’t get to practice in the Resch. We had two really good practices there before we played. For all intensive purposes, it was about as smooth a trip as we’ve had.”

It should’ve been a sweep in Wisconsin, which would’ve been the Penguins first in school history of Green Bay and Milwaukee. YSU couldn’t complete the sweep of the Panthers, losing in overtime.

The Penguins couldn’t hold on to a nine-point lead with 6:36 remaining in regulation as August Haas drove through YSU’s interior defense and missed a layup in the final seconds, as YSU’s Devin Haygood was there to swat it away. Milwaukee’s Brett Prahl grabbed the offensive rebound and quickly heaved up a putback to send the game into overtime. There, the Panthers outscored the Penguins 19-10 to win in overtime.

“Last shot of game, Dev (Devin Haygood) made a great block,” Slocum said of the final six minutes. “Kid caught it, walked underneath the basket, took four steps and threw up a prayer. It went in to tie it. I thought we were deflated going into overtime, lost our focus a little bit because I thought that we played so well.

“I wouldn’t have change a lot except a call or the courage to make a call.”

That game, combined with losing in overtime to UIC earlier this month — two games that slipped away from the Penguins — could’ve made this team 5-4 in the league.

Five of the next seven games, including the next three, are at the Beeghly Center. YSU has to take advantage as it hosts CSU, Oakland, Detroit, Wright State and Northern Kentucky in home games next week. Then, there’s a road game at UIC in this stretch — a good time to exact revenge in Chicago, a place the Penguins have won before. Except for first-place Valparaiso (16-4, 6-1), most of these other teams in the league are very beatable.

YSU has had five players reach double figures the past two games. The rebounding and assist-to-turnover ratio is good as well, but YSU needs to play better defense. Giving up 86 a game won’t translate into too many wins. You can’t count on offense to outscore an opponent.

“The thing that hurts is that you don’t get the benefit of your effort,” Slocum said. “I think that’s been the case of our UIC game. Obviously the Milwaukee game there. It is what it is. We’ll keep getting better. That’s the encouraging thing for me. We came out of last week better than we played the week before.”

The top six in the Horizon League is well within YSU’s reach.

That starts with a win tonight against Cleveland State. YSU is 1-2 at the Beeghly Center in league play.

“We’ve got to play better at home,” Slocum said. ” We’ve got to take care of our home floor. With the landscape of the league, the team that gets hot in February is going to win. Everybody has proven they can lose. Everybody has proven that somebody can beat them. You’re on a neutral floor. My goal is for us to get better and peak at the end.”

The Penguins are playing well, but they need to translate that into victories — not another 20-loss season. This team is much better than that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:48:56 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicator: Penguins dynamic sprinters
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:04:02 PM »
When have Slocum's team's ever peaked down the stretch?  Where is Rosic?   I thought this team was supposed to be better defensively!  If you're not going to play your guys coach, don't recruit them.  No wonder two to three guys leave the team every season! Also, good luck with the three-game sweep the writer is looking for, I'd be surprised if YSU does not get smoked by Oakland and Detroit.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicator: Penguins dynamic sprinters
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
When have Slocum's team's ever peaked down the stretch?  Where is Rosic?   I thought this team was supposed to be better defensively!  If you're not going to play your guys coach, don't recruit them.  No wonder two to three guys leave the team every season! Also, good luck with the three-game sweep the writer is looking for, I'd be surprised if YSU does not get smoked by Oakland and Detroit.

Rosic and Williams have battled injuries for most of the season.  Williams dressed last night for the first time in quite awhile.  He's showed flashes of being impressive. 

Oakland for sure will be a tough game, but this team has been competitive in almost every game this year outside of Jacksonville & Ohio State.  I thought they even played hard & competed against Michigan State & Valpo.  If it wasn't for a fluke play at the end of the Milwaukee game they'd be on a 3-game win streak.  Tough loss also to UIC in OT too but they have really played pretty well & hard in the last 7 dating back to the Wright State win. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: YSU men must start run tonight
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
A wins a win but having a 15 point lead I was hoping for a blowout not a nail biter.   We had our foot on CSU's neck and it could have been a blow out.   Need one more guy to step up.   Donlan is in a funk and Kaufman who has been playing well can't stay out of foul trouble.  I hope Slocum is looking for a JC or transfer big man.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 11:26:40 AM »
Scalzo??? He is in Canton IAA FAN.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 12:13:26 PM »
Last night's performance is obvious at Slocum needs to go. He cannot coach he cannot hold a lead and his teams never played defense or shoot free throws well same story year after year. It's kind of a joke now. We'll be lucky to win one more game the rest of the year

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:15:11 PM »
Really don't think you can blame foul shooting on Slocum. Frantz, Donlan, Santiago & Davis have been excellent at the line. Morse has hit been hit & miss from the line this year. 8 of 10 last night but overall shooting under 70% which is disappointing. The rest of the team is unacceptable. It's hard to believe Haygood is as bad as he is & hard to imagine anyone can be that bad at this level. It's really to the point it's a detriment when he's fouled shooting if he doesn't score.

I think we'll get at least 3 more wins. I think we'll beat Detroit, UIC & win 1 or 2 against Cleveland State, Wright State & Oakland

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
When has Slocum ever signed, kept and actually developed a big man ? It's not how his teams are. He would've been the best coach for the Youngstown Pride and 6-5 under league. His teams live and die by the 3. Mostly die.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
When has Slocum ever signed, kept and actually developed a big man ? It's not how his teams are. He would've been the best coach for the Youngstown Pride and 6-5 under league. His teams live and die by the 3. Mostly die.
Bobby Hain  ;)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »
Still!  How many guys will transfer or quit off of this year's team?  Continuity in the program is a must.  And most other Horizon league fans are calling of our ouster out of the league!  Unacceptable for an NCAA BB Program.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 03:26:26 PM »
We Received last in free throws percent and defense,.   Those who think program is OK need to get your head checked.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
Join the NEC  we might compete and teams are closer.  Horizon is above our heads

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
Marcus Keene is only leading the country in scoring.  You can not lose kids like that.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 06:50:17 PM »
Brace yourself.  Many of you are not going to like what I am about to say.  After talking to several officials in the athletic department (not Strollo,) I now believe that Slocum will be here until he decides to retire.  They actually believe that he is doing a good job.  It might take an act of divine intervention (or at least Tressel intervention) to enact change.  And I suspect that Tressel cares about as little for basketball as president as he did as athletic director.

Pride, the Horizon League is sinking like a rock in the power ratings.  It used to be around 11-13 most seasons.  Last time I looked it was 20.  That is low major status.  Which is very good for us.  If you cannot beat them, let them deteriorate down to your lousy level.

Nation, Horizon League fans might be the most ignorant in the country.  They can never look beyond their precious sport of men's basketball and do not realize that the league is a comprehensive DI conference minus football.  The league offers 19 championships each year in men and women's sports.  Over the last three academic years, Oakland has won the most.  YSU is second.