Author Topic: Scalzo: YSU men must start run tonight  (Read 18259 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Scalzo: YSU men must start run tonight
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
Chief I am not saying to take Wernicki; I am not even saying that we need a new HC. I am saying that if we are going to need a new HC, Wernicki is just as good or better of a choice than Macfadden & he had advantages that make him an even better consideration.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:44:22 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
I just checked McFadden's biography on the Akron site.  He graduated from there in 2005 and started to work in that program immediately.  He is the recruiting coordinator for a mid-major program that wins 20 games on a consistent basis.  This is the stage of his life and his career when he is ready to head his own program.

If Wernicki had any aspirations to be something other than "Slocum's boy," he should have advanced to a better job years ago.  He is now toxic in the coaching profession, closely tied to the worst DI coach in the country.  That last statement is fact, not opinion.  Research last season proved conclusively that Slocum was the worse long tenured DI coach in the country. 

Here is something to add perspective to the conversation.  Can we all agree that major league baseball teams that lose 100 games are really bad?  Losing exactly 100 games gives you a winning percentage of 38%.  During Slocum's long tenure as our basketball coach, guess what his winning percentage turns out to be?  Yep, 38%.  We tolerate a basketball coach who is the equivalent of a baseball manager who loses 100 games for over a decade.  Twilight Zone stuff, for those old enough to understand the reference.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
Why not bring him up?  This program needs a facelift and fresh start with new blood!  I'm tired of losing players we recruited every year, and the continuous lack of continuity in the program other than losing!  Every year short one post player and obvious lack of depth at other key positions!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2017, 03:20:25 PM »
Basketball has been dead to me for YSU. Horizon is a nothing since Butler left and we still haven't made up any ground.  We don't retain our core group young players and we lead the country in "homesick players"! Total BS.  No D can't hit foul shots same thing every year. Nobody cares and the kids can feel that and as the season progresses they play like that.  Add to a weak conference and an unimagitive home non league schedule loaded non D 1 programs that just take a space on the calendar and schedule and you have a recipe of futility.  Nobody on Slocums staff should be considered Nobody.  If we can't afford a coach at our level get the hell out and just hold a try out every year and bring in a different Local HS coach every game or even better yet have a drawing among the season ticket holders every game to be the coach.  My point we are a joke and don't see it changing with a Slocum assistant coach.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:21:35 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
I feel your pain GO, but I do not see it changing with a coach from Akron either. If I am not mistaken, Slocum has no more extensions, so if he is retained, it will be a new agreement. So I am favor of one of the following two things:

1. A contract to Slocum with concrete winning expectations & program monetary guarantees from the administration. Or,
2. Letting Strollo reach out to a more serious program once again. I know it did not work out once prior and maybe the funds are not there, but in that case ... back to #1.

I am just not in favor of a low mid-major assistant, local guy or not. If we do not have the funds, then keep things as they are now. $tay away from football and WBB when in search of funds.