Author Topic: Vs. JMU In Game Thread  (Read 52585 times)

ytowngirl

Re: Vs. JMU In Game Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:08 PM »
Ytown Girl - I can tell you with 100% certainty that Montgomery has had better offers almost every year he has been here. I know his family pretty well and this is a fact. His family loves the area and his oldest son is a freshman on the YSU baseball team. His younger son is a junior in high school and they did not want to move during his high school years unless it was just something amazing. I look for him to be gone for sure after his younger son graduates.
Also - not sure where all the hatred from you towards Montgomery stems from... this offense OVER performed this year. Find me another team in the country that played 4 quarterbacks and went as far as us. We really missed the 4 suspended starters in the JMU game but our players and coaches never quit. For those of you questioning his game time adjustments, I am not sure what else you wanted him to do. Wells threw to 10 different receivers. After it was obvious that the running game was not going to work, the coaches found other ways to get Jody the ball and he had 10 catches himself. What else would you have tried?
Nobody is more upset about not winning that game on Saturday than the people in that locker room but this fan base needs to realize how much this team achieved this year and be proud of them all.

He's still not a good coach in a lot of peoples opinion.  Sorry but the QB position is a mess and definitely not a strong point with YSU.  I can almost bet Pelini is being told to retain monty for some odd reason.  People seem content with a mediocre OC.  Good for him if he has better offers but it's time for a change.  There are plenty of adjustments he could have made.  Stop forcing Webb.  While he's a great weapon his small size really showed against JMU.  Pound the ball with a bigger running back. 

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2017, 09:30:42 PM »
Boy for all the hype JMU got they seem real overrated. they look slow and un-athletic. 

we should shut down their runnung game with ease especially that RB, beating up on those creampuffs in his career really helps pad those stats.

if Wells can get going, im fully confident we will win with ease.

Hahahahaha

Offline footballfanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
Ytown girl ~ your comment about Bo was told to retain him shows just how clueless you really are!!! Do you know Bo Pelini???? Do you honestly think he really cares if someone told him to retain Montgomery?! Bo always has and always will make his own decisions. The people that don't think he is a good coach are a few football board posters that have never coached a down of college football! If Bo Pelini thinks he is good enough to keep then he must be. Again, tell me what you would have done other than "run a bigger back?"  We definitely missed Ruiz in this game but it doesn't matter who you have at RB if the o line is struggling! Again... tell me another team in the country that played 4 QB's and went as far as YSU?
Let's trust Bo with the decisions ~ he seems to know football!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:06:46 PM by footballfanatic »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
Look, add me to the list of "not being a Shane Montgomery fan."  But this particular game had absolutely NOTHING to do with his game plan or whether he failed to adjust.  YSU ran into a BUZZ SAW named James Madison University.  And they are VERY good.

The offensive line was overmatched from the first drive on, special teams was weak again and the secondary was not very good.  People can sit here and talk and b**** about all of this and it really doesn't matter.  They got beat....on Saturday, 6 Jan 2017 they weren't the better team.  Am I disappointed....ABSOLUTELY.  Am I proud...ABSOLUTELY.

I was there, I watched that game live.  I watched that OL walk off the field multiple times with their heads down.  They didn't quit, but knew they were overmatched.  sh** happens, deal with it!!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »
In 2015, YSU had the nations #1 pass D.  Why did we go 5-6?  Offense.  Who's in charge of the offense? That's all that needs to be asked.  The OC manages the offense top down from recruiting to developing players to play calling. 

In the Natty, the shortcomings were again offense, as well as special teams.  Definitely a pattern has formed. That's just the way it is. 

As far as Bo goes, he's not a god, and makes mistakes.

If we want to improve, we should address our shortcomings, which are primarily the offense.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
At the end of the day missing key players hurt us.  They were too stupid to stay out of trouble and it cost us.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2017, 09:50:43 AM »
At the end of the day missing key players hurt us.  They were too stupid to stay out of trouble and it cost us.

Absolutely. 4 starters being out hurts. 4 of our most important starters at that.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2017, 10:07:02 AM »
 I look at what we could have done to win this game. Well at 100% I think we have a good chance. Ruiz was just too much to overcome. He can get to the next level and then pick up speed. This would have forced JMU's LB's inside and then given us a chance to work in space. We3 had no outside run game & our offense thrives on this.  Also, the line could have better protected Wells, both in general and with a run-game. I am impressed by a couple of those young WR's we have.

On offense JMU players were not what I would call elite ...none of them. However, they work well together. Look at that QB, not to insult the guy as he just whipped us, but was he even in the top half of the QB's we faced this year? (WVU, ILS, SDSU, NDSU, UNI)? Nope. Pregame hype had me scared about that back, well he got his yards, but he was not even averaging 3 yards-per carry after the first 2 drives. However, we were down 14-0 at that point with stupid TO's and a short field. Our defense finally settled in on them. Yet coach Carl brought up our safeties in run support and they simply knew to pick on our terrible secondary, as every balanced (offense) team did all season against us. Our D line has never seemed that bad, I do not understand why we creep up like that. If you look at our losses, we do this in every one of them. JMU did the same thing but they had a secondary. Heck that was the strength of their team

None-the-less. Our inability to run, our miscues on special teams and our secondary all add up to a lopsided game.

Nation, who cares about 2015 at the end of 2016?  Your OC has been here for 8 years, so if you are going to judge him either do it for 2016, or his entire tenure.  In 2015, our pass coverage and D line was terrible & not much better in 2016. Last year Carl dropped back and doubled-up. This year he stacked the front. I do not blame coach Carl or Bo ...in fact I respect the improvements in just 2 years. Yet in 2016, our offense was stellar most games once we settled in on a QB. You are just afraid to say anything negative about a guys named Pelini ....either one of them. We have many shortcomings on defense and in head-coaching ...you can fool some people, but no one that watched the games. Heacock loaded up the front under Tressel, but we had a secondary that could play on an island. Just because Bo says the defense was "okay" in every press conference does not mean it is so. He is covering and it pi**** me off every time he does it. I lose respect for him. People who watch the game also know the shortcomings on offense and special teams. We don't look at the game with the focus of getting rid of a coach. Have you ever once asked why we do not have a special teams coach? Last year we did not even have one and this year we brought over an under-qualified coach just to cover. That is the fault of your Head-coach. You are right about one thing ... coach Bo is no god and needs to stay out of the O and D ...maybe take over as special teams coordinator. Let his OC and DC do their jobs. The season is over and now the coordinators jobs switch over to recruiting.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:22:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2017, 11:03:15 AM »

Absolutely. 4 starters being out hurts. 4 of our most important starters at that.
True--Dirtydukes should send them all thank you cards--but I'm sure he's the type that thinks JMU would've still won easily 8)

Offline Dukester

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »
Boy for all the hype JMU got they seem real overrated. they look slow and un-athletic. 

we should shut down their runnung game with ease especially that RB, beating up on those creampuffs in his career really helps pad those stats.

if Wells can get going, im fully confident we will win with ease.

Hahahahaha

That's funny.  He's probably one of those that chant "over-rated" which really belittles your own team.

Guinfan1990 - you guys had an under rated team.  They played hard through a lot of adversity and had a great year.

Getting to the Championship far exceeded anything either of our teams have done lately. 

Offline dirtydukes

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2017, 02:01:47 PM »

True--Dirtydukes should send them all thank you cards--but I'm sure he's the type that thinks JMU would've still won easily 8)

We went up 21-0 and went into protect mode.  We could have beat you all 84-0.

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Dukester - you seem to be one of the many nice, classy JMU fans that I interacted with in Frisco.  Congratulations , you guys deserved it.

Dirtydukes - I also ran into some classless JMU d***** bags and/or inbred hillbillies.  You certainly seem to fall into one of those categories.  Maybe both.  Go away now

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2017, 03:19:03 PM »

Don't believe coach Houston has a "protect mode" in his playbook--a blind man could see that both teams were playing as hard as they could ???

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Without the fatal turnovers, I'm not sure JMU would have won at all. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2017, 05:46:02 PM »

Not true dirty. Take away our 2 miscues and that last drive was for the game (remember we blew the snap on a field goal). Even the one announcer corrected the other noting that JMU brought pressure from the left side twice in the final drive. That was a very hard-fought game. Had YSU been able to turn up to the beginning ...result would have been quite the opposite of what it was. Not to take away from your win and it's dominance; but don't make it more than it is. You went into "big play mode" and it worked. You were lucky as so many times teams get bit on the back side when they do that. Your secondary was awesome and won the game for you. It allowed you to stack the front and we were without our best back. Well I do not want to insult Jody ...we were without one of the two heads of our offensive dragon. YSU is not a big-play team. Our offense is more methodical.