Author Topic: 2017 Recruiting class  (Read 114127 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Recruiting class
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Ryan Lezzer, WR/DB from Clearview, PA committed tonight. Offers from Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Navy, Army, Air Force along with several FCS schools. Very solid athlete.

He chose an FCS school in the Natty over teams in the G5, where there is no hope for a Natty...unless....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/group-of-five-teams-considering-their-own-playoff-after-feeling-jilted-by-the-cfp-163808257.html

Maybe the NEC, Patriot, MEAC, and Pioneer should have their own playoff too. Seriously if the G5 wants to have a shot at the playoffs, then drop to FCS....although some won't even have a shot there either.

Well maybe he didn't want to commit to military service. Usually they offer guys with really good grades but are average athetes.

Could be, but I'm sure playing in the Army-Navy game in front of the President would be a draw.  I have no idea what his particular reasons were.  I was just thinking of what distinguishes us from every school he rejected.  Whatever it was, was big since he gave up FCOA to be a Penguin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:46:46 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
Ryan Lezzer is my nephew.  I wasn't able to watch him play in high school but I'm sure we have an awesome athlete. Very excited he selected YSU and can't wait to watch him play as a penguin!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:22:41 PM by ysuscuba »
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline Guinfan1990

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »
Lezzer might have something to him, averaged 16 yards per catch as a junior and 18 yards per catch as a senior.

ytowngirl

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 10:50:54 AM »
Lezzer might have something to him, averaged 16 yards per catch as a junior and 18 yards per catch as a senior.

Is he being recruited as a WR or a CB?  Sites say CB.  Either way hope he does well. 

Offline Guinfan1990

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
I asked a friend of mine who could be transfering out of Ohio State thats a WR and he said RS Fresh Alex Stump from St. Eds.

Kid was a beast in HS, always thought he could do better at a YSU than a Ohio St.

ytowngirl

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
I asked a friend of mine who could be transfering out of Ohio State thats a WR and he said RS Fresh Alex Stump from St. Eds.

Kid was a beast in HS, always thought he could do better at a YSU than a Ohio St.

Info on Stump.  Doesn't look like he got any playing time this season:

he was considered the No. 1 receiver in Ohio as well as the No. 3 receiver in the Midwest region while also earning national receiving rankings of No. 23 by Scout, No. 36 by 247Sports and No. 42 by Rivals ... PrepStar named him all-Midwest Region

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
Really liked Stump coming out of high school. Made some big plays for a big time program. Solid get if he comes here.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »
Add QB Joe Craycraft from Marion to the list. 6-4, 200 pound with a strong arm. Needed a QB in this class.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4813931/joe-craycraft

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 08:11:30 PM »
Add QB Joe Craycraft from Marion to the list. 6-4, 200 pound with a strong arm. Needed a QB in this class.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4813931/joe-craycraft

Looks good.  He has escapability and elusiveness, and runs designed QB runs.  Doesn't just put it in park in the pocket.  Shouldn't saddle the offense with consistently negative rushing yards.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 08:40:02 PM »
Started playing QB in 9th grade. Level of competition isn't great but has some tools.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 09:33:36 PM »
QB looks okay.  He will RS I would hope. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
I'm reading some of these posts and it seems like all we need to do is tweek a couple positions and we are good to go for another deep playoff run.
I simply don't see it that way.  Our entire starding defensive backfield is gone.  The key to our D was constant pressure from the DE's and they are both gone (probably to the NFL) Both our RB's are gone. Our best receiver and punt returner is at least gone for a good while (and he was KEY in a couple of wins with punt returns) The left side of our OL is gone.  We are back in the same mess at QB with either running with a pass option or a drop back passer. 
I'm confortable with TE LB's DT's and Kicking.  Everything else has some biq holes.
Anybody see it differently than this?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
I thought we were getting Koontz from Boardman? I guess not. We really have no need for him, but he is solid.