Author Topic: Road Warriors: Youngstown St Penguins vs North Dakota St. Bison game week thread  (Read 25127 times)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Amazing coverage here.  YSU play by play guy was on radio here today.   Up can download the app and listen from 11-1p central and 4-6p central

http://www.bison1660.com

Frazier won't play I'm fairly certain.    lance Dunn and chase morlock

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
We match up very poorly as Nation pointed out. I don't see this as the week the offense gets their act together, please prove me wrong. I would love to see about 20 short passes...lets start with baby steps and get everyone's confidence bolstered.

The final two games we should win and get the offense going a bit. Even being average on O and we will be a threat in the post season.

This week hurts though, 24-9

If Well can get up to speed and the OL blocks and we get Jodi in space we may have a chance.  They had trouble with him last year.  However they will dare us to pass and I think they will go to Zone coverage to make it difficult on Wells.  If the OL can block them they will be forced to go into man coverage to get more leverage on the line.  Lets hope they are forced to go to man coverage and Wells can hit his targets.  That all hinges on the ability for the receivers to get open.  If they get pressure in a zone it is over early.

I agree.  We need a game plan that moves the chains.  THIS IS A BiG GAME! Big plays.   We need to be physical on both sides of the ball.  I feel we need to give the Rock to Ruiz 25 carries Saturday for us to be successful.  We need to keep it less than 7 in the first half and and do what we have been doing all season win the second half and control the 4th qtr.  Hunter doesn't have to be a star here.  If he can keep the chains moving is all I want. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The Bison will be in their Green helmets and gold uniforms, hopefully this will be are good luck charm. It will most certainly look like Christmas day inside the Fargo dome with our RED. I think Wells gives us the best chance to stretch the defenses and  give us a balanced offense.The wide receivers will be the whole key in this, they have to come up big on Saturday. They need to run the proper routes where the ball is being thrown, block downfield, get open and catch the ball it's that simple. I would like to see us go more to a hurry up offense in this game. I think we need to stretch the defense first and then run and throw more passes on first down

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The Bison will be in their Green helmets and gold uniforms, hopefully this will be are good luck charm. It will most certainly look like Christmas day inside the Fargo dome with our RED. I think Wells gives us the best chance to stretch the defenses and  give us a balanced offense.The wide receivers will be the whole key in this, they have to come up big on Saturday. They need to run the proper routes where the ball is being thrown, block downfield, get open and catch the ball it's that simple. I would like to see us go more to a hurry up offense in this game. I think we need to stretch the defense first and then run and throw more passes on first down

Need to be careful what you wish for. This hurry up spread offense that Monty loves kills the defense in the end. 50 second 3 and outs hurt, especially when NDSU will line it up and run the ball up our ass ~ 8-14 play drives taking up to 5-7 minutes will get the defense tired in a hurry. Need to play NDSU's game, use the big TE's on our roster for short passes and use #37 up since he's our strongest runner.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Red is right, but we are in such a need for rhythm right now & three times we have seen him use that new really tight pistol offense and resulted in late victories. I think the combination of what we have done in years past with Wells in combination of especially those last 4-drives with Mays (in the tight pistol & I am not saying we have to use Mays ..just that offensive set) ca be a really great combination that may help give us first-half heavy points and some of the second-half TOP we have been missing last year.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:43:23 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
It is the day before NDSU and I sign in and find we don't have a single blog response regarding the game.

Funny, but we have all this bravado predicting big wins etc., and we all know in our hearts that our O is sooooo bad that getting out of Fargo no worse than 28-6 would be a huge moral victory.  I have a friend whose son was a guard for YSU in the ‘00s and I told him in all my years watching YSU, this might be the best D we’ve ever had, at least the most talented.  But it is also be the worst offense I’ve seen.  At very best, a mediocre line, terrible WR play (hopefully due to inexperience), combined with very inconsistent RB’s and certainly the poorest combined effort at QB ever.   You’d have to go back to Dike Beede and the single wing to find passing as bad as we’ve seen this season.   Really sad to waste this D.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I am going to go out on a limb and predict 28-24 Good Guys. The best D we have had (by far) was Heacock's 1994. They set an NCAA record that may still stand at 8.5 (or 9.5) points-per-game allowed. I hope it was 1994, I will need to look that up. This year we have a D that is predominantly over-achieving and an O that is predominantly under-achieving. Overall I really expect Carl's D to be even better (or at least more talented) next year, but we lose a couple of ends that this year's D is built on; so we do not want to blow the opportunity those two afford us. On O, we need to trust the staff and see if this line and Wells can get it together. I would like to see the offense stay with select receivers that are used to Wells throwing. I love Jodi, but perhaps we try sets where he is not a 1st-down back. Ryan's hands are pretty good. I do not expect Wells to light the world on fire this weekend, but I think he will improve this offense. Again ...special teams is everything tomorrow.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
I am going to go out on a limb and predict 28-24 Good Guys. The best D we have had (by far) was Heacock's 1994. They set an NCAA record that may still stand at 8.5 (or 9.5) points-per-game allowed. I hope it was 1994, I will need to look that up. This year we have a D that is predominantly over-achieving and an O that is predominantly under-achieving. Overall I really expect Carl's D to be even better (or at least more talented) next year, but we lose a couple of ends that this year's D is built on; so we do not want to blow the opportunity those two afford us. On O, we need to trust the staff and see if this line and Wells can get it together. I would like to see the offense stay with select receivers that are used to Wells throwing. I love Jodi, but perhaps we try sets where he is not a 1st-down back. Ryan's hands are pretty good. I do not expect Wells to light the world on fire this weekend, but I think he will improve this offense. Again ...special teams is everything tomorrow.

Seniors on the defense: Moss, both Rivers, Eric Thompson, Dawson, Alexander, Pinnock, Bishop, Dortch, Jameel Smith, Jaylin Kelly, and Hagood.

The drop off next year will be substantial on defense.  The offense will be the same old same old. 

This is the year if "it" is going to happen.

"Trust the staff" on offense.  How's that been working out so far?  Maybe some ppl actually suck at their job?  Ever use Comcast?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Just as some people suck at being fans. Perhaps people might be more interested in your opinions if you made some specific suggestions besides defense is "great" and offense "sucks"? I made a couple of specific suggestions for tomorrow's game ...use different TB's on first-down and stick to specific receivers that are use to the harder throwing of Wells to the hands. Suggestions like this are what fans do. Unlike you; I know that no other OC, that we can afford, can do any better. So you just keep moving forward. You used to complain when we put up 30+ in the first-half alone because our pathetic D could not stop anyone from scoring 50+ and "we did not score in the second half". Yet you knew that Wolf gave coach M orders to dumb-down the offense and that not too many DC's had trouble adjusting to it at the half. Now the shoe is on the other foot, but you have seen what we are capable of. So you do not like the guy ...fine. How does that help anyone? Not that we are listened to, but it makes us feel good to think that someone might. this is what computer desk coaches (like all of us) do. BTW we are 6-2 with 2 of our 3 weakest teams remaining on the schedule ...so 'lighten up Francis'. This weekend is for the conference crown and a home play-off game. Simply put:

-If we finish out 3-0 we host a play-off game or 2.
-If we go 2-1 we are in and we travel.
-If we go 1-2 or 0-3 we are out of the play-off hunt.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:32:17 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
It's great to have hope; but I don't really expect a rusty Hunter Wells making wonderful passes to inept receivers who don't seem to get open and sometimes drop passes right in their hands. We don't seem to use "timed passes" that is: the QB and the receiver have a predetermined spot. The QB throws to that spot prior to the receiver actually being there yet. This has to be practiced often to be effective. These passes are usually "curl" passes designed for 7-15 yds.

I see some hope with a wonderful defensive unit, but can the offense seize the opportunities? This maybe the least effective YSU offense team that I have seen in over 50 years of watching YSU football.

NDSU  20   YSU  13

I hope I'm wrong!

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile

1994 was the BEST DEFENSE at YSU!!  I might be a little bias!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NDSU 24

YSU 13

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Win the battle up front and control the time of possession.
YSU. 16
NDSU  14

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com

1994 was the BEST DEFENSE at YSU!!  I might be a little bias!

You earned the right!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
ndsu 27
ysu 9

i changed my prediction after seeing NDSU Warming up.... they are fired up!!!