Author Topic: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio  (Read 32053 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 05:04:12 PM »
I'm going to take in 3 practices this week. I will do my best to inform everyone on all 3 phases of the game and individual and group sessions and what players stand out to me and how the new coaches are interacting with the players. I will give my honest and informed opinion for those who are interested

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 05:11:35 PM »
Awesome Fever ...thanks!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
"I believe his role would've been huge if not for the injury. If healthy this year he will take added pressure off either quarterback"

Yes, but there WAS the injury.  My question is, for all that pay attention to the off-season workouts etc. Is he back working out?
Go Guins- From the information I received from today's practice Ryan looked very good and hasn't missed a beat. Even tho its early in the quarterback competition Hosick, Davis, and Mays all struggled in the team sessions and all 3 threw pick 6's. Wells looked very sharp and threw several long passes over the middle two of them to the tight ends

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2016, 10:42:21 PM »
Yes I heard the same as Fever.... QB's a little rusty.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »

[/quote] Go Guins- From the information I received from today's practice Ryan looked very good and hasn't missed a beat. Even tho its early in the quarterback competition Hosick, Davis, and Mays all struggled in the team sessions and all 3 threw pick 6's. Wells looked very sharp and threw several long passes over the middle two of them to the tight ends
[/quote]

Fever: Thanks for the update and I look forward to your continuing reports.  I know football is a fall sport, but spring practice is a sure sign that spring is on the way. (Not that we have much to complain about this winter!)
Used to be the 4 greatest words in sports were: "pitchers and catchers report," but the spring game has surpassed that as the bell ringer of spring in most of our minds!  Really looking forward to being in the playoffs again...............FINALLY!
You know, Paladin would be slamming me for my unbridled support and blind optimism.  But this is exactly the time for optimism and enthusiasm and I make no apologies!  Go Penguins!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »
"I believe his role would've been huge if not for the injury. If healthy this year he will take added pressure off either quarterback"

Yes, but there WAS the injury.  My question is, for all that pay attention to the off-season workouts etc. Is he back working out?
Go Guins- From the information I received from today's practice Ryan looked very good and hasn't missed a beat. Even tho its early in the quarterback competition Hosick, Davis, and Mays all struggled in the team sessions and all 3 threw pick 6's. Wells looked very sharp and threw several long passes over the middle two of them to the tight ends

Fever, Thank you for the information.
If the session was focusing on passing, I have no doubt that Wells will do well. However, I am interested in finding out, later in the spring practice, how he would do in a pass/run option situation.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
Even tho its early in the quarterback competition Hosick, Davis, and Mays all struggled in the team sessions and all 3 threw pick 6's.

Yikes.  They picked up where Wells left off in the fall.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 02:48:43 PM »
Even tho its early in the quarterback competition Hosick, Davis, and Mays all struggled in the team sessions and all 3 threw pick 6's.

Yikes.  They picked up where Wells left off in the fall.
I'm not sure that the first workout of the spring it exactly time to panic.  Let's give the players and coachs at least a couple days before we do! 
I'll bet money (a very small amount) we come out of the spring with the QB race down to 2 (Trent & Hunter) but probably go well into the fall before picking a starter, and even then playing 2 regularly.  Right now the bigger concern is WR, OL and can Ryan Moore return to form.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2016, 09:01:48 AM »
Great show today guys!! You two are good together.  fb

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
Great show today guys!! You two are good together.  fb

Great show indeed.  Nice review and insider info of Pro Day, Spring practice, and the new coaches.  Information you just don't get from the local media.  I'd like to know more about the injury to I'tavius, though.  It was interesting to hear a QB's perspective of the QB competition.  I'm getting the sense that #7 (Hosick) is not making the impact that was hoped for, although still so very early in the process.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 05:40:57 PM »
My apologies but I won't be able to report on today's practice. I've experienced some flight delays from S.F. to Chicago to A.C.A. because of the higher winds in the region , but I will be in Youngstown area with family for the next week or so, reports will be on there way. Yes Go if we can't get enthusiastic about the possibilities that exist for this season then we all have serious problems. Bo has even said it himself that he fully expects to contend for a National championship and anything less would be a disappointment and I truly believe this. He is a smart coach and knows exactly what he has here. It was a learning curve for him and his staff in 2015 and I think he would really like to have a few of those games back and feels partly responsible for the collapse and won't let it happen again. The players are buying into his system for year 2 and I believe many leaders will step up. It's early yet and players will be rusty. I'm sure Trent for example has worked some with the offense and receivers this off-season. Hunter has a leg up with almost two full seasons under his belt and tons of reps with his teammates and his familiarity with the YSU defense. Bo and Shane both have a plan in this Quarterback competition and right now that's the million dollar question. You could very well see a rotation once again, but  thats not something I'm in favor of. We need other quarterbacks to step up and show us they can throw and make good sound decisions along the way
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:55:30 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
Nathan Mays was the only guest today and you can tell he's a very smart and intelligent kid. He feels like he has improved a great deal from last season. Tanner Garry called in from Slippery Rock and ask Ricky how the quarterback competition was going. Ricky said it was going good and it's the best he's ever played since joining YSU and the coaches are happy with his performance

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:49 AM »
Ryan Moore was on the show today and he is officially hanging up the cleats for good. He is a very smart kid and will have a bright future ahead of him. Big loss for the offense, but I have a good idea who that bigger back might be

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
Ryan Moore was on the show today and he is officially hanging up the cleats for good. He is a very smart kid and will have a bright future ahead of him. Big loss for the offense, but I have a good idea who that bigger back might be

Disappointed for the kid.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Nine injuries in three years.  I totally get his reason for opting out.  Interesting that he won't encourage his kids to play FB.  Sounds like a solid kid, as is everyone interviewed on that show. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen