Author Topic: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio  (Read 32036 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:07:37 AM »
I thought this might be a good topic to discuss after their show on Wednesday's. Today's guests will be Derrick Rivers and Hunter Wells

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
Is there a link to this?  When does this take place?

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »
Is there a link to this?  When does this take place?
Every Wednesday morning from 8 to 9 am. (They are off next week for Spring Break but will return in two weeks.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:00:13 AM by mayor »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:55:45 AM »
Hate to be this dumb, but what station?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »
To listen to this show your device must have Adobe flash player. I can't listen on my smart phone but I can on my computer. Ricky and Jeff were born to do this and both are extremely funny. They started off the show talking about coach Pepe Pearson joining the Marshall staff and what his son might do. They also mentioned about the possibility of a former Nebraska Quarterback becoming the new TE coach. Wells has gotten much stronger and has his weight up to a solid 225 pounds. Wells said his biggest challenge will be raising his standard of play and admitted that his mechanics slipped up last season and he didn't prepare the way he needed to at times. He also added that the staff has taken the necessary steps for success this season. When ask about the offense he said the coaches are incorporating more of a run with the quarterback for this season. Derek is very level headed and humble. He doesn't really go into depth with his answers, but his actions on the field speak louder then his words. He fully understands the NFL is right around the corner for him and is ready for the challenge. He wants a big year at YSU before that happens

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »
To listen to this show your device must have Adobe flash player. I can't listen on my smart phone but I can on my computer. Ricky and Jeff were born to do this and both are extremely funny. They started off the show talking about coach Pepe Pearson joining the Marshall staff and what his son might do. They also mentioned about the possibility of a former Nebraska Quarterback becoming the new TE coach. Wells has gotten much stronger and has his weight up to a solid 225 pounds. Wells said his biggest challenge will be raising his standard of play and admitted that his mechanics slipped up last season and he didn't prepare the way he needed to at times. He also added that the staff has taken the necessary steps for success this season. When ask about the offense he said the coaches are incorporating more of a run with the quarterback for this season. Derek is very level headed and humble. He doesn't really go into depth with his answers, but his actions on the field speak louder then his words. He fully understands the NFL is right around the corner for him and is ready for the challenge. He wants a big year at YSU before that happens

Well that should give Hosick a leg up on him.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »
I'm not in favor of this chief, but I think we will see a two quarterback system again this year similar to last year

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
FEVER, I disagree.  I don't think we will we will have 2 qbs in a regular rotation.  They'll pick on and he'll play.  It will come down to how much better is Wells with the added weight and conditioning vs. how good can Hosick throw.  But spring will be a "winner take all" contest.  Davis will be out of the equation as he can't run as good as Hosick or throw as good as Wells, so he has nothing to offer.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
FEVER, I disagree.  I don't think we will we will have 2 qbs in a regular rotation.  They'll pick on and he'll play.  It will come down to how much better is Wells with the added weight and conditioning vs. how good can Hosick throw.  But spring will be a "winner take all" contest.  Davis will be out of the equation as he can't run as good as Hosick or throw as good as Wells, so he has nothing to offer.
Wait, if Davis can throw better than Hosick and run better than Wells, he could still be in the equation.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Bo has had a running quarterback his entire coaching career. He wants desperately to have a quarterback that can throw on the run, be a strong pocket passer, and also make good decisions. Trent has shown the ability to do that with good accuracy out of the pocket on film. What he does in the pocket will be the big QUESTION MARK..very hard to find both on this level
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:10:41 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:29 PM »
I missed the program this am, dammit.  I wish they would have podcasts available of it.

Well's shortcomings weren't conditioning or weight.  It was his lack of mobility, compensating for that by making desperate and risky throws into coverage, and being a 1-read QB.  Maybe he can improve the last two, but mobility just isn't in his tool kit.  If that's the direction the offense is going, then he's not a part of it.

We don't know enough to judge Davis's passing ability, because he was (inexplicably) never allowed to do it, and he directly said that on last week's show.

Frankly, I'm fired up about Hosick.  After he passed up offers from BYU and San Diego State, he explained it this way:

“I want to play for a coach who cares about winning as much as I do,” Hosick said. “You’d be surprised at how hard that is to actually find. A lot of people are just satisfied with going to bowl games. That’s not what I’m here for. The goal should be a national title.”

http://www.yumasun.com/sports/awc-qb-hosick-back-for-second-season/article_05cc18ea-e28a-11e4-bf77-6f01eacc72e6.html

The 2 QB system last year was begun out of desperation when the consequences of Well's lack of mobility was evident.  There was actually a Jambar article suggesting it, and the next week it was in place.  I don't think a two QB system will be considered unless Hosick fails to impress, and if there is a two QB system, and they are looking for mobility, then it would make sense it would be Hosick and Davis.  Wells is prolly too immobile to be switched to another position, so I'd make him a reserve QB and give him snaps during junk time.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 02:12:17 PM »
I missed the program this am, dammit.  I wish they would have podcasts available of it.

Well's shortcomings weren't conditioning or weight.  It was his lack of mobility, compensating for that by making desperate and risky throws into coverage, and being a 1-read QB.  Maybe he can improve the last two, but mobility just isn't in his tool kit.  If that's the direction the offense is going, then he's not a part of it.

We don't know enough to judge Davis's passing ability, because he was (inexplicably) never allowed to do it, and he directly said that on last week's show.

Frankly, I'm fired up about Hosick.  After he passed up offers from BYU and San Diego State, he explained it this way:

“I want to play for a coach who cares about winning as much as I do,” Hosick said. “You’d be surprised at how hard that is to actually find. A lot of people are just satisfied with going to bowl games. That’s not what I’m here for. The goal should be a national title.”

http://www.yumasun.com/sports/awc-qb-hosick-back-for-second-season/article_05cc18ea-e28a-11e4-bf77-6f01eacc72e6.html

The 2 QB system last year was begun out of desperation when the consequences of Well's lack of mobility was evident.  There was actually a Jambar article suggesting it, and the next week it was in place.  I don't think a two QB system will be considered unless Hosick fails to impress, and if there is a two QB system, and they are looking for mobility, then it would make sense it would be Hosick and Davis.  Wells is prolly too immobile to be switched to another position, so I'd make him a reserve QB and give him snaps during junk time.

I was done with him when he did the pussified slide short of the first down.  He should have leaned forward and taken the hit and gotten it at all costs.  how can he say that he didn't prepare well enough when we were a whisker away from being a national title contender?  He is the leader of the team on offense and this is what we get.  Ready to move on. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:24 PM »

I was done with him when he did the pussified slide short of the first down.  He should have leaned forward and taken the hit and gotten it at all costs.  how can he say that he didn't prepare well enough when we were a whisker away from being a national title contender?  He is the leader of the team on offense and this is what we get.  Ready to move on.

Agree.  If you don't want to take a hit, then maybe tennis or bowling would be choices more suited for him.  We needed full effort from everyone.  It was painful to watch.  If he wants to play FB, I think the best outcome would be a 1AAA school or D2.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »
Montgomery never wanted Wells to run in the first place. If he were to go down with a injury then what? If your not used to being a running quarterback it's easy said then done. Wells was recruited to throw at YSU not run. I think he's a good enough runner to pick up yardage when needed and keep defenses honest. If you have a solid line, a strong running game (with one power back) and a strong group of receivers that can catch there is know need for a mobile QB. You could take more chances with your starter if you felt just as comfortable about the back-up starting. That hasn't been a luxury YSU has had as of late