Author Topic: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio  (Read 31937 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:41 AM »
O.C. Shane Montgomery was on the show today. He sounded really concerned with the receivers and the youth at that position. He pretty much said with the quarterback drops if the receivers don't do a better job of creating separation and  catching the ball this offense will struggle. Basically the same problem as last season along with the offensive line injuries. I think he feels good about the rest of the offense as a whole

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »
A couple of us have been saying that. But to hear it from Coach M. Gives it some traction. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »
Well, that is really concerning as well though. If he has mentioned it, he is speaking to the fact that we haven't noticeably improved on that. I was hoping some of the developing youth would also develop their hands.  :-[

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 06:48:25 PM »
Remember we have the juco coming in from California who supposedly catches everything that he touches.  Need at least two more receivers that we can count on.  An FBS transfer, perhaps?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 10:29:42 AM »
I have no idea how the JUCO is going to perform, but I wish I had a buck for every recruit that came in "catching everything he touches", including Scott from Hubbard, if I recall.  (Technically I suppose it's true in Scott's case.  We haven't thrown him anything and he hasn't dropped anything)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:38 PM »
Fever,

From your observations at the practices, do any redshirt freshmen from Pelini's first class show any potential as receivers?  Wide receiver seems to be the position where Wolford's habit of recruiting "athletes" rather than "football players" has hurt us the most.  I will never forget the sure touchdown pass that went right through the hands of one of those athletes during the fourth quarter of the NDSU game last November.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 12:27:48 AM »
From what I've seen, Harvin and Shakelford have shown good promise. Scott from Hubbard as well. Some issues with route running and holding onto the ball. They have small, speedy guys that can play the slot as well...... Won't know much until fall camp.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 08:01:54 AM »
Some consistent ball delivery will go a long way as well.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 08:55:57 AM »
Some consistent ball delivery will go a long way as well.
This is an underappreciated part of the game.  Good grief, I could catch balls from Tom Brady, the ball is right there, every time.  Same with LeBron and the Cavs. You get the ball delivered in the right spot consistently and good things happen.  Spring ball just complicates the problem, because so many different guys are throwing the ball it never comes the way you expect.   Once somebody is getting “starter reps” things should improve a little, but comments like “Some issues with route running and holding onto the ball,” reminds me of the doctor saying “the surgery was a success, but the patient died.”   What else is there but route running and catching the ball?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
Final show today with BP calling in.  Sounds like a FBS tackle may transfer here...welcome news.  It was very entertaining and informative show, sorry to see it end.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »
Final show today with BP calling in.  Sounds like a FBS tackle may transfer here...welcome news.  It was very entertaining and informative show, sorry to see it end.
I agree. I enjoyed the show and it was nice to hear about the team from the players prospective. Bo seems like he has the backing of the players and it is nice to see that he supports them in things they do off the field as well.  fb

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
I thought it was just over for the summer? If not. I will set up a spot for them on this site. It is actually quite easy to do, it is the entertainment that is the hard part.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
I thought it was just over for the summer? If not. I will set up a spot for them on this site. It is actually quite easy to do, it is the entertainment that is the hard part.
That would be GREAT!