Author Topic: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL OFFICIALLY DEAD  (Read 32837 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL OFFICIALLY DEAD
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
 WOW!   We have lost our last three men's basketball games, all at home, and not one post here!  What is worse that someone talking bad about you?   When no one is talking about you at all.

This is a site of loyal YSU fans, probably the most loyal in our valley, and yet no BB talk.   

I am one of those who still can't believe Slocum is employed as our coach.  His record is awful, he has not engaged the community, and he looks miserable.   How can Strollo and Tressel continue to let this go on and on?

Although Tressel is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and looks to be on his way to being a great President.  He had very mixed results in hiring coaches as athletic director.  He hired John Robic, probably because Larry Brown and John Calipari gave the basketball program money to do so.

YSU basketball fans deserve more.  We haven't had a conference competitive team since Dan Peters was coaching us in the Mid Con.

Very sad.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL OFFICIALLY DEAD
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:42:36 AM »
We lost our last four games.......may be five as UIC is an improved team late in the season.

This is JS's last few games. My hope is President Tressel takes an active role in hiring his replacement, much like he did with FB and Bo Pelini....otherwise we'll get a Strollo hire....like Slocum, Hill, Martin......I hope Tressel appreciates that the second highest revenue generating sport with an annual operating budget of $1.3M is worthy of his concern and attention.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
We lost our last four games.......may be five as UIC is an improved team late in the season.

This is JS's last few games. My hope is President Tressel takes an active role in hiring his replacement, much like he did with FB and Bo Pelini....otherwise we'll get a Strollo hire....like Slocum, Hill, Martin......I hope Tressel appreciates that the second highest revenue generating sport with an annual operating budget of $1.3M is worthy of his concern and attention.
Listening to his radio and TV interviews. JS appeared to be absolutely miserable. I would not be surprised that he had already been told about his future at YSU.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
When Slocum retires, I really don't look for Tressel to be actively involved in selecting his replacement, as he surely was in the hiring of Pelini.  He has no expertise in basketball, and he got burned by his Robic hire while AD. (Although remember that Robic was brought in to coach a low major Mid-Continent squad that was suddenly thrust into the mid-major Horizon League.)

What I am worried about is the lack of interest among worthwhile candidates when Slocum is out of the picture.  As Since1990 noted, the program is dead in the community, there are no funds to infuse into the operation, and any prospective coach will realize that hoops is secondary in the athletic department.  Who would come here? 

Someone suggested McFadden, the assistant at Akron and a valley native.  Not knowing any details about this guy, he would seem on the surface to be a logical choice.  He certainly knows the facts listed in the above paragraph.  If he still would be willing to try, I say give him the chance.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
Again I say why hire McFadden when Wernicki is as-qualified ...if not more so. Then we do not lose so many players. I still think Slocum get's his final year at a minimum, but is not holding up his part of the bargain for anything further. This is a really good team and Slocum has always been able to bring in a couple of good players. I think there is going to be a lot of chemistry.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:37:32 PM »
If the selection process if left to our AD, then we will have a clone of Jerry Slocum as the next MBB HC.  It will be a certain failure.  Strollo was getting ready to hire Dean Hood as the FB HC (who I think had made two visits to the YSU campus) until Tressel inserted himself into the process.  BTW, EKU has subsequently fired Hood.  Tressel has networking skills, and is able to sell YSU. I am fully aware of the HC recruiting limitations, but YSU has had Tressel, Pelini, and Bolden as HC of sports, so we can swing for the fences on this one....if the right batter is at the plate.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:54:29 PM »
Again I say why hire McFadden when Wernicki is as-qualified ...if not more so. Then we do not lose so many players. I still think Slocum get's his final year at a minimum, but is not holding up his part of the bargain for anything further. This is a really good team and Slocum has always been able to bring in a couple of good players. I think there is going to be a lot of chemistry.

Define "really good."

Any coach associated with this debacle needs to leave.

"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."
- Albert Einstein

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »

Need someone who does not have any ties to this program. I agree with Nation.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »
Einstein was an idiot most of the time. His theories have never been proven or disproved ...just accepted. The first media boy from the scientific community.

The quote you made assumes that one can play basketball on a different level of consciousness. Guess what? This is NCAA basketball at YSU and always will be. The only thing that you can do is change the level of consciousness in the community-at-large and winning has only a little to do with that. You want more focus in general & I do not. I like football. YSU is football. I want more fans at football games. I want more tailgating at football games. I would give up the sport of MBB is a second to achieve my football goals. So you certainly better not spend any of my football monies on MBB.

So, this is an opinion share by more than a few fans of YSU. In addition, Title-IX means useless women's sports are here to stay (Sorry ladies, but the truth is the truth) & need every remaining ounce of non-football monies. So you have to respect the Strollo for the decisions that he has to make with this being the prevailing mentality. He has no on-campus friends, as most professors think any sport is a complete waste of time (and they may be right). I do not want to spend $300k+ on a new MBB coach and another $150 for a good assistant and another $100k if you want a second-assistant.

This is what AD's and HC's deal with everyday.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 02:35:09 PM »
Here's an Oliver Cromwell quote.....for some reason this seems like an appropriate place for it:

"You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
  Many good points made in the post above    It is accurate that Strollo was ready to hire Dean Hood as football coach, and he was indeed fired by Eastern KY at the end of this past year.  Hood would have set our program back years.

The comment that our basketball program is 'really good' is ridiculous.   As for hiring Wernicki, that is delusional.  What program fires the head coach because the program is in shambles, then hires his top assistant?   That makes no sense.

Agree as well that we need someone who has no ties to the program.  McFadden would be a likely candidate, only he can decide if the blueprint that is in place at Akron can be successful here. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:41 PM »
I never said the program is good. I said that this is a good team & it is. This is the most depth that I can remember in a decade.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
With the hilarious insight you always provide 1AA......I would never "block" you.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 03:39:44 PM »
I never said the program is good. I said that this is a good team & it is. This is the most depth that I can remember in a decade.

Oh boy.... I'm sorry but you cannot say that about a 9-17 team.... Just can't.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:34 PM »