Author Topic: Ladies Fall to NKU  (Read 5078 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Ladies Fall to NKU
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:50:59 AM »
Very big loss for us, as the drops us down to 6th in the standings (tied with NKU) and gives NKU all tie-breakers. This season did not go as I thought it was going to go after early-season success.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies Fall to NKU
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »
This team became a victim of unreasonable expectations created by their string of close non-conference victories in December.  They are ridiculously young, and the freshmen did not mature at the rate that we all had hoped.  They are still going to be very, very good in the upcoming years.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
I like Barnes and I agree that WBB will improve in the next few years, maybe enough to dethrone UWGB and win the HL.

However, this is the same point where Bolden left for OU after completely rebuilding the program from scratch.

Barnes had three years to prepare for Schlegel's departure and stock the cupboard.  A team of underclassman is what I'd expect from a first year HC.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
Boldon took over a winless team and, in three years, had them in the WNIT.  He deserves all the credit in the world for that.  However, he inherited two exceptional players, veteran Brandi Brown and a young Heidi Schlegel, both of whom were signed by Cindy Martin (Schlegel signed early in Martin's last season and honored her commitment.)  Boldon actually did a very poor job of recruiting freshmen, with the majority of his recruits actually leaving before graduation.  That is why we have only one senior (a transfer) and two juniors. Boldon's recruiting shortcomings are why we are so young this season.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:25:35 PM »
I like Barnes and this team as well. Every time you see an interview, you can hear basketball IQ.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:46:08 PM »
I like Barnes and I agree that WBB will improve in the next few years, maybe enough to dethrone UWGB and win the HL.

However, this is the same point where Bolden left for OU after completely rebuilding the program from scratch.

Barnes had three years to prepare for Schlegel's departure and stock the cupboard.  A team of underclassman is what I'd expect from a first year HC.

Well when you have 2 recruits leave the program due to medical issues and then one of your young post players tears an ACL, it will hold things back a bit. This team will be a force for years to come.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 03:22:33 PM »
Good points by Wick and Chief.  Barnes is very good, but if you couple Bolden's YSU record with his record at OU, I still say Bolden > Barnes.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen