Author Topic: 2016 Football Coaching Staff  (Read 47454 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Football Coaching Staff
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
Oh......... didn't know that. Art ?  I guess UNI was artful all those years of winning MVFC titles and NDSU just became "artful" winning national titles ?

The reality is , it IS A SCIENCE. Measurables,  times, film, disecting techniques ( if they have them), grades and test scores. Sure sounds like "art" ?

I think not.

Ohio St. isn't "artful". Neither is NDSU or UNI. Maybe YSU needs a refresher course.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:56:18 PM by paladin »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 02:23:00 PM »
"The reality is , it IS A SCIENCE. Measurables,  times, film, disecting techniques"

You just couldn't be more wrong.  If you are anywhere near correct, then Renaldo Nehemiah was a far better receiver than Jerry Rice?   Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't anywhere near the top 10 QBs of all time? 
You should read what you have written and think about it for a second and then issue me a formal apology for your stupidity. 

You know tons of guys on the blog are threatening to block you and I haven't considered it because I can look past your silly bluster and sometimes see something of a point, but you are simply so ignorant with this topic, I am becoming bored with you.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
Thanks.... you just made my point. Some one who is fast isn't necessarily a good WRs. Hows his hands ? Moves ?  Film will tell you that. level of competition he  played against ?  What is artful ?  Typical local good old boy "expert" you are .

Guys  are going to block me ? Who... the good old boys who think they have the answers ?   The cheerleaders who contribute to YSU's failures by failing to demand excellence and  coddling losers ?

STOP.... stop I say. I'm breaking out in a cold sweat worrying over that ....................................... NOT !   People who aren't blind and have REAL interest in what goes on here  will continue to read me. My opinion may be of interest to more than you know.  Lots  of people READ here but don't post. Fair minded people are thirsty for info and those who don't blindly follow a good old boys club will read.

But keep spreading the BS. People laugh at the humor .  The "self importance" of the feeble minded and their closed minds bothers me not.   The world values different opinions. So do the readers of this board. Grow up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:30:04 PM by paladin »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
Oh......... didn't know that. Art ?  I guess UNI was artful all those years of winning MVFC titles and NDSU just became "artful" winning national titles ?

The reality is , it IS A SCIENCE. Measurables,  times, film, disecting techniques ( if they have them), grades and test scores. Sure sounds like "art" ?

I think not.

Ohio St. isn't "artful". Neither is NDSU or UNI. Maybe YSU needs a refresher course.  ;D

Oh Paladin ...will you argue over anything? Recruiting is ART, LUCK, SKILL (which you could call a science, but inexact at best). However, the truth is, most of these guys are ranked & you (as a coach) are just going to take the best number that is available at the time you need someone. If there are 100 LB's available, YSU is going to try and not have to take #100, while OSU is going to try and not take #2. That is where the luck comes in.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 04:25:11 PM »

I think not.

Oh Paladin ...will you argue over anything? Recruiting is ART, LUCK, SKILL (which you could call a science, but inexact at best). However, the truth is, most of these guys are ranked & you (as a coach) are just going to take the best number that is available at the time you need someone. If there are 100 LB's available, YSU is going to try and not have to take #100, while OSU is going to try and not take #2. That is where the luck comes in.

As a Professor in the College of STEM, I can tell you that STEM is also an art in additional to being a Science. Using engineering principles to design a product is also an Art. I know, he is going to tell me that he knows more about science and engineering than I. My experience in managing a engineering team to design/market global products might not even matter to him.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 11:39:47 AM »
Thanks.... you just made my point. Some one who is fast isn't necessarily a good WRs. Hows his hands ? Moves ?  Film will tell you that. level of competition he  played against ?  What is artful ?  Typical local good old boy "expert" you are .

Guys  are going to block me ? Who... the good old boys who think they have the answers ?   The cheerleaders who contribute to YSU's failures by failing to demand excellence and  coddling losers ?

STOP.... stop I say. I'm breaking out in a cold sweat worrying over that ....................................... NOT !   People who aren't blind and have REAL interest in what goes on here  will continue to read me. My opinion may be of interest to more than you know.  Lots  of people READ here but don't post. Fair minded people are thirsty for info and those who don't blindly follow a good old boys club will read.

But keep spreading the BS. People laugh at the humor .  The "self importance" of the feeble minded and their closed minds bothers me not.   The world values different opinions. So do the readers of this board. Grow up.

You are a complete fool.  If you were right, there would never be a bust 1st round QB in the NFL.  The most important thing in picking a football player is not size, not speed, not arm or leg strength, not any of that.  It's heart, and judging a person's heart is an art not a science.  If you are right, Ryan Leaf and Todd Marinovich are  in the NFL Hall of Fame and Payton Manning and Tom Brady are distant memories for NFL fanatics to remember.  Unlike you I don't think I'm smarter than everybody on the planet.  I just know I am smarter and think more clearly than you.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 09:06:54 AM »
While this "coaching staff" thread seems to evolved into the recruiting thread, I would like to add that if you look at a school like Alabama, it shows that recruiting isn't as easy as some suggest.  Alabama gets top notch players and every year they over recruit and then thin the heard by removing players already on scholarship.  Does that make the coaching staff poor at judging recruits?  This is a practice that I certainly do not condone, but it show that even top tier coaches aren't experts.

If college football makes the scholarship shuffle the norm, then the Northwestern players have a case.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »
ScarletRook, if I understand your point, then I think I disagree. 
If 'bama or anybody else, recruits a football player and he "can't play" then you are saying he is entitled to his 4 year scholarship anyway?  And if I have an academic scholarship and I let my grades slip, then they have to pay for schooling anyway?  (they don't!) We enter into an agreement.  I pay your school costs and you play for my football team.  If you can’t play, then you aren’t honoring your part of the agreement and I revoke the agreement.  That seems straight forward to me. 

Back to coaching thread.  There isn't a coach or GM/AD that doesn't have a long list of players they were high on and turned into complete busts.  Some here think recruiting is just about the numbers, but the heart of the matter is the heart.  I remember when Indy was back and forth between Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf, as hard as that is to believe.  One had heart and succeeded, but I bet you a buck Leaf could throw harder and run faster. Judging talent is the hardest part of coaching, IMO.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 10:54:55 AM »
ScarletRook, if I understand your point, then I think I disagree. 
If 'bama or anybody else, recruits a football player and he "can't play" then you are saying he is entitled to his 4 year scholarship anyway?  And if I have an academic scholarship and I let my grades slip, then they have to pay for schooling anyway?  (they don't!) We enter into an agreement.  I pay your school costs and you play for my football team.  If you can’t play, then you aren’t honoring your part of the agreement and I revoke the agreement.  That seems straight forward to me. 

go guins:
I don't think you see my point entirely, but time doesn't permit me to elaborate right now.  I understand your viewpoint.
As far as grades this is from the NCAA rules:

Remaining Eligible: Academics

Because intercollegiate athletics is part of the fabric of the university, student-athletes must be committed to academic achievement and the pursuit of a degree.

Student-athletes must meet academic standards throughout their careers on campus to remain eligible to participate in intercollegiate athletics. Member institutions in each division create academic standards specific to that division’s goals.

In Division I, student-athletes must complete 40 percent of the coursework required for a degree by the end of their second year. They must complete 60 percent by the end of their third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year. Student-athletes are allowed five years to graduate while receiving athletically related financial aid. All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements that are related to an institution’s own GPA standards for graduation.

Teams in Division I are also subject to the Academic Progress Rate (APR), a standard that measures a team’s academic progress by assigning points to each individual student-athlete for eligibility and retention/graduation.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
Rook,
You and I aren't on the same page.  If you point is, once committed to a recruit, always committed to a recruit, I don't agree.  That's how I read your original post on the subject. If you point is different, I missed it.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
go guins:

Didn't express myself very well in first post - things have come up so can't elaborate.  We may be on the same page or just agree to disagree.  Either way - GO GUINS  Spring Practice coming soon.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
Any names for replacements of the coaches leaving??

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2016, 01:53:34 PM »
Per reports, Nic McKissic-Luke is the new RB's coach. Had the same title at South Dakota State the last few years. Coached Zenner when he was there.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
Per reports, Nic McKissic-Luke is the new RB's coach. Had the same title at South Dakota State the last few years. Coached Zenner when he was there.
Thanks Chief for keeping us informed. Coach Luke played at Alabama before transferring to Alabama A&M and then spent 5 years coaching in the Division 2 ranks before joining the Jackrabbit's in 2013. He's a true believer in the power running game. This could be a good thing
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:13:21 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
LB Coach TJ Hollowell has left.