Author Topic: Bo  (Read 32389 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bo
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2015, 01:14:04 PM »
Dean Hood was interviewing for the YSU FB HC position and according to Scalzo, was the leading candidate until President Tressel rescued the program from yet another Strollo hiring fiasco and personally lured BP here.

http://www.ekusports.com/news/2015/11/23/FOOTBALL_1123154315.aspx

Dean Hood is now fired from EKU.

If it weren't for Tressel, Strollo would've delivered us yet another Heacock/Slocum/Martin/Hill......

When is the announcement of Monty's firing?  Why wasn't it today?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:10:52 PM by IAA Fan »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »

I believe coaches contracts good through January.  Anyway, Monty and Stoops are going to switch positions
after the remake of their new movie.  Or was that Slocum and Monty?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:39:46 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
Dean Hood was interviewing for the YSU FB HC position and according to Scalzo, was the leading candidate until President Tressel rescued the program from yet another Strollo hiring fiasco and personally lured BP here.

I bet there isn't a formal announcement at all.  I bet Bo lets the contract expire, and just promotes someone to the position.  Basically he will take the red stapler from him and fix the glitch.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »

I bet there isn't a formal announcement at all.  I bet Bo lets the contract expire, and just promotes someone to the position.  Basically he will take the red stapler from him and fix the glitch.

Then who will do the TPS reports?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2015, 04:11:15 PM »

If it weren't for Tressel, Strollo would've delivered us yet another Heacock/Slocum/Martin/Hill......

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? What do you know about EKU football? I guess about as much as you know about YSU ...nothing. You do realize that Hood was the regional finalist for the Eddie Robinson award last year? He won it back 2008? He is a defensive-minded head-coach. Exactly what we needed here.

PS: Pelini came to us, we did not go to him. Nobody "lured" coach P here other than the ghost of Don Bucci and ESPN.

PPS: the minute that coach P even thinks about releasing coach M ...we are another 4-years away from a quality team, as we will need to retool. He needs to worry about retooling his defense.

So do us all a favor and look at the record book for the past 5-years.
- You do realize that until this year, coach M's offense's have had over 2,000 yards in both passing and rushing every single season? This has only happened in 11-seasons since our program began back in 1938 & Montgomery has 5 of those in his 6-years with the program!
- You do realize that Wells was runner-up for MVFC Frosh of the year last year?
- You do realize that Well's was one of the 5-finalists for the Jerry Rice award last year as the nation's top frosh? Had he not started Wells this year, coach M would have been the fool.
- You do realize Montgomery's offenses have averaged over 30-points-per-game and have scored 28-points or more 40-times. (not even including this year).
- You do realize that Hess is the top statistical QB in YSU history?
- You do realize that when it is all said and done, that Martin Ruiz and Jermain Cook will be considered Penguin legends? Cook already is.

Yet despite all of these records up until 2015, I respect what coach M has done in 2015 more than any other year. Why, because he had to basically revamp the entire offense in mid-season. One more thing to notice ...it was when coach Shane "dumbed-down" his offense (by request from coach Wolf) that we had such diminishing returns. This is direct correlation to the lack of football skill that has been recruited buy the previous staff. Once we get our talent-level up to where it needs to be, be will be back to 30+ points-per-game and I want this to happen here, not somewhere else. You cannot dismiss a man for having a down season, because his previous 5-have been stellar!

I do not get you at all, you talk based on what you have seen yesterday. A good coach has a good body of work. I bet you that no one knows more than Shane Montgomery, just what problems have plagued the Penguin offense in 2015 and just how to fix it, yet you just 'toot your horn because' the man behind you does. Like my father always told me ..."he is behind you for a reason".

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2015, 04:20:01 PM »

PS: Pelini came to us, we did not go to him. Nobody "lured" coach P here other than the ghost of Don Bucci and ESPN.

Tressel flew personally to Lincoln to meet with Bo...to recruit him.  Before Tressel inserted himself into the process, Strollo was close to hiring this failed EKU HC (the EKU had at least two visits to YSU by then).  IDK who made initial contact with who...i do recall a Vindy article about it...but Bo said himself that Tressel was a HUGE incentive to come to YSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2015, 04:31:31 PM »
Not even close to being true. The initial job call and recruiting came to Ron Strollo, as is proper. Sure Pelini knows that there is an ex-football guy as president ...that would help anybody that came in here. He is helped no more than anyone else. Do you even realize how far away from football that Tressel needs to stay ...and he does just that. The very first call came from Bo's attorney & Strollo made it happen. I also know that Strollo was listening to Bo's rant while Bo was preparing to make his welcoming address and Strollo did not come out until he had heard it. Strollo cares more and does more for this school than anyone else, that is why he should and will remain. I do think you may be right that there was a call to President T, but the attorney was referred to Strollo.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:48:11 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
?????

Everything in my post is 100% accurate.

You are blinded by your man-love for our doofus AD.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
What the heck does it matter guys, he is here and I am happy about it.

I would guess that some things happened this year that Bo had no way of knowing. Example - level of talent is just not what he was used to coaching, depth also an issue. Maybe the biggest  surprise may have been the quality, or lack there of, of the refs. Every seen your kids team get hosed by a ref at their jr-high basketball game, same thing.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 11:21:24 PM »

Tressel flew personally to Lincoln to meet with Bo...to recruit him.  Before Tressel inserted himself into the process, Strollo was close to hiring this failed EKU HC (the EKU had at least two visits to YSU by then).  IDK who made initial contact with who...i do recall a Vindy article about it...but Bo said himself that Tressel was a HUGE incentive to come to YSU.

I thought Tressel was in Lincoln for a Followship of Christian Athletes program as a favor to Tom Osborne....

That doesn't mean he couldn't have spoken with Bo, but that wasn't the reason he was there initially.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 04:48:00 AM »

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? What do you know about EKU football? I guess about as much as you know about YSU ...nothing. You do realize that Hood was the regional finalist for the Eddie Robinson award last year? He won it back 2008? He is a defensive-minded head-coach. Exactly what we needed here.

PPS: the minute that coach P even thinks about releasing coach M ...we are another 4-years away from a quality team, as we will need to retool. He needs to worry about retooling his defense.

So do us all a favor and look at the record book for the past 5-years.
- You do realize that until this year, coach M's offense's have had over 2,000 yards in both passing and rushing every single season? This has only happened in 11-seasons since our program began back in 1938 & Montgomery has 5 of those in his 6-years with the program!
- You do realize that Wells was runner-up for MVFC Frosh of the year last year?
- You do realize that Well's was one of the 5-finalists for the Jerry Rice award last year as the nation's top frosh? Had he not started Wells this year, coach M would have been the fool.
- You do realize Montgomery's offenses have averaged over 30-points-per-game and have scored 28-points or more 40-times. (not even including this year).
- You do realize that Hess is the top statistical QB in YSU history?
- You do realize that when it is all said and done, that Martin Ruiz and Jermain Cook will be considered Penguin legends? Cook already is.

Yet despite all of these records up until 2015, I respect what coach M has done in 2015 more than any other year. Why, because he had to basically revamp the entire offense in mid-season. One more thing to notice ...it was when coach Shane "dumbed-down" his offense (by request from coach Wolf) that we had such diminishing returns. This is direct correlation to the lack of football skill that has been recruited buy the previous staff. Once we get our talent-level up to where it needs to be, be will be back to 30+ points-per-game and I want this to happen here, not somewhere else. You cannot dismiss a man for having a down season, because his previous 5-have been stellar!

I do not get you at all, you talk based on what you have seen yesterday. A good coach has a good body of work. I bet you that no one knows more than Shane Montgomery, just what problems have plagued the Penguin offense in 2015 and just how to fix it, yet you just 'toot your horn because' the man behind you does. Like my father always told me ..."he is behind you for a reason".

Retool the defense?  Huh?  How about punt on the offense and start over. Defense is top ten and we have the stats to prove it.  Offense is terrible and is ranked #51.  Care to explain why we run read option with a QB that can't run the ball?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:54:52 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2015, 06:56:41 AM »
simple. The tools are not there. As I said, right now we are well-coached, but if a team alters their scheme in any way, we completely collapse.  i.e. halftime adjustments or trick plays. We need to start with a more base defense (which we are doing now btw) and continue to work. BTW, considering this is the worst offense we have had in 6 years ... I would not think we were #51.