Author Topic: Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!  (Read 19165 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:34:56 AM »
Nice job Vindy, instead of YSU all over the center of Sports Section, what do we see, a full color article with extra pics of a kid from Canfield that plays for KENT ST.  YSU, is on the side as filler of the opening of Camp.  I understand its a local kid, BUT HE isn't bigger than the YSU Program. He should have been where YSU was.  NICE Advertisement for KENT ST. VINDY!  I think I will be canceling my subscription.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:35:40 AM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »
GET OVER IT.  Kid is representing what it takes to be a STUDENT athlete and is from the area.  What, should I not care about Fitzgerald Toussaint because he went off to play Big Ten football and not YSU? 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:27 PM »
GET OVER IT.  Kid is representing what it takes to be a STUDENT athlete and is from the area.  What, should I not care about Fitzgerald Toussaint because he went off to play Big Ten football and not YSU?

I agree with  YSUGO.  Complete bulllsh** high school mentality by vindy.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:17:50 PM »
Good point. The kid excels in his academic achievements. Put him on page 1 in academic section of the newspaper. Put him front and center in page 1 of the sports sections when he wins BIG player of the year.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »
Yes, there is this persistent and annoying small town mentality in which your high school affiliation seems to follow you for the rest of your life.  Probably due to the fact that this is a working class community with few people who attend college.  I enjoy watching high school football, but I care only about local kids who come to YSU.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 12:12:06 AM »
Cancelled my subscription to the vindy years ago lol.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:24:37 AM »
Yes, there is this persistent and annoying small town mentality in which your high school affiliation seems to follow you for the rest of your life.  Probably due to the fact that this is a working class community with few people who attend college.  I enjoy watching high school football, but I care only about local kids who come to YSU.

My sentiments exactly.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »

Wick:
I see it as high schools touting the success of their student athletes to get publicity much as universities use football to sell themselves.  The kids shouldn't be denied their chance in the sun. That part doesn't bother me, but I wish the newspapers focused more on the local area and YSU.  The local media could do wonders to promote attendance at YSU games.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »
How dare that kid pick another school to attend. We should never write anything about them after they graduate high school if they don't go to YSU. The heck with them.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:01:55 PM »
I have to ask edpuskas, are you the same as the person by that name who works at the vindicator  ;D.

But yeah guys, if they were a local kid, i don't see why they cant get coverage too. Besides, vindy and trib provide the most coverage you are going to see of YSU. I dont think dropping the vindy is the answer.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
How dare that kid pick another school to attend. We should never write anything about them after they graduate high school if they don't go to YSU. The heck with them.

Yeah, that makes sense.

It does make sense.  Go to any other city the size of Youngstown or bigger that has a college football team and see what if they mention anyone that doesn't attend their home college.  You may hear something if they make the pros.  No one but the kids family gives a sh**.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 08:45:41 PM »
I am glad they are writing about the kid,  But Youngstown Football program was like 3rd fiddle on the weeks biggest paper.  You have 2 of college footballs best Coaches and we play in the toughest FCS football Conference, do some research and write about that.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:29:24 PM »
I am glad they are writing about the kid,  But Youngstown Football program was like 3rd fiddle on the weeks biggest paper.  You have 2 of college footballs best Coaches and we play in the toughest FCS football Conference, do some research and write about that.

http://www.vindy.com/weblogs/penguin-insider/2015/aug/01/breaking-down-ysus-fall-camp-roster/

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/aug/02/ysu-football-pelinis-promise-all-eyes-on/

Joe Scalzo had a 20-inch story and a lengthy blog entry over the weekend. Links provided. And you're complaining because someone else got their picture on B1? Yes, because YSU football players never get their photos in the paper.

What else, exactly, needs to be researched and written about before anyone even arrives for camp? Did you read any of Joe's stuff?

All due respect, get back to me after camp actually begins and then tell me we aren't doing enough. Nothing much, aside from rumors about transfers, has happened since the end of spring workouts and we've still had stories — including Bo's talk with the Curbstone Coaches last week.

You can't say, with a straight face anyway, that the Penguins get no coverage.

But here's the question I have: Why, if there is a story about another player or another program, is it considered an affront to YSU? That makes no sense.

FYI, the Italiano story was originally scheduled to run Saturday. It was held a day because of space purposes. There is no vast right-wing (or left-wing, for that matter) conspiracy to prop up Kent State football. We just like local stories. All kinds of local stories.

And that, as they say, is the end of the story.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »
I've had my issues with the Vindy's coverage in the past, which is well documented in my post history, however I was not at all irritated with the coverage. It was the first weekend in August, not September or October or November when football should be a front-page story.

If it were a Kent or Akron story in the heart of football season, sure I'd be upset, but cmon guys, let's not all get in a hissy fit over a story about an excellent student-athlete that embodies everything you should ask for in a young adult.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 11:00:46 PM »
I don't think there is a conspiracy just don't want to give the competition any advantage.  Do you really think the Beacon would post a big pic and article of one of our local guys and talk about YSU football as the lead article on Sunday. Anyways I do think coverage has been a lot more informative and inciteful.
A Penguin for life!!!