Author Topic: Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!  (Read 19161 times)

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pissed off with Sunday Sports of Vindy!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »
I don't think there is a conspiracy just don't want to give the competition any advantage.  Do you really think the Beacon would post a big pic and article of one of our local guys and talk about YSU football as the lead article on Sunday. Anyways I do think coverage has been a lot more informative and inciteful.

Thanks. Passing that on to Joe.

That said, I'm not sure how a feel-good piece about Jordan Italiano being named the smartest player in college football gives Kent State an advantage over YSU or anyone else. It is what it is — a nice story about a local kid doing well. Jordan is a good kid who deserved some publicity.

I know the SE at the ABJ. I'll ask him if they'd do a story on, say, a kid from Hoban or SVSM being named the smartest kid in college football while playing at YSU. But I suspect I know what his answer will be.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:01 AM »
First I did not see the paper, canceled the Vindy long ago. I am guessing that if a high school player in Columbus went to Michigan he would be given the same, yep hold your breathe on that one.

This is real simple Youngstown State - Youngstown Vindy, anyone not see the connection? Hey best of luck to the kid, really, but second or third page.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
You guys are being a just a bit too harsh. I get the Dispatch and the Vindy. If a local player was playing at a Big-6 college, he would have good Dispatch coverage. Probably not if he attended YSU or Kent. I do not see any agenda here.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »
First I did not see the paper, canceled the Vindy long ago. I am guessing that if a high school player in Columbus went to Michigan he would be given the same, yep hold your breathe on that one.

This is real simple Youngstown State - Youngstown Vindy, anyone not see the connection? Hey best of luck to the kid, really, but second or third page.
You're going to compare YSU, Kent State and The Vindicator to Ohio State, Michigan and The Dispatch? When was the last time YSU and KSU played? Other than the Penguins and Golden Flashes occasionally chasing the same recruits, they are no longer rivals. The dynamics at play in Youngstown vs. Columbus are not comparable at all.

But to answer your question, sure, if a Columbus kid was good enough and received national recognition, why wouldn't The Dispatch write about him even if he went to Michigan? You don't think The Plain Dealer ever featured Desmond Howard or Elvis Grbac when they were at Michigan? I'm sure there have been Columbus kids who went to Michigan and still made The Dispatch from time to time. But I guess by your standards, no media in the Valley should ever have done anything on Mario Manningham, Fitzgerald Toussaint or De'Veon Smith because they had the audacity to play for the Wolverines.

Also ... you do know that YSU camp did not even start until today, right? The dog days of summer are made for those kind of feel-good local stories. If you have a problem with such a story, frankly, it says more about you than it does about the paper you admit you don't even read.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2015, 08:54:55 PM »
You guys are being a just a bit too harsh. I get the Dispatch and the Vindy. If a local player was playing at a Big-6 college, he would have good Dispatch coverage. Probably not if he attended YSU or Kent. I do not see any agenda here.

I am surprised but I will take your word for it.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
THIS is why I come here. It is, of course , a complete BS thread and more of the complete hype jobs that proliferate here.  Warning -- I read the Trib, but will sometimes read articles from the Vindy and enjoy reading the Dispatch. Both the Dizzy and Trib run articles of local kids who play elsewhere and not at YSU or Ohio St. They are COVERING their reading area with news of LOCAL kids. Family, friends, classmates and local former opponents enjoy that. I hated reading the old sports writer for the Vindy who was a HOMER first class usually writing about a third rate program, with BS insight and hyping the 4th rate sports dept at YSU.  At least  with Scalzo , you get the truth , decent opinions, minus the hype and generally interesting insight.

Here, of course, the cheerleaders vent their  venom , hype a program 2nd or 3rd class in stature wondering why anyone would watch and follow Ohio St. Reality is in short supply here. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:50:31 PM by paladin »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:01 PM »
At least  with Scalzo , you get the truth , decent opinions, minus the hype and generally interesting insight.

Scalzo vigorously defended Strollo after Wolford's firing.

He's either clueless or gutless.

Everything he reports I read with suspicion.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
Ed, I think the concern over the story isn't the story itself that angers some posters on this board.  I believe it's the local attitude of High School football always trumping YSU football that irritates people.  Every night  for the past two weeks some of the local media have been outlining area high school football teams, team by team.  How about instead break down all the transfers that are scheduled to report to camp and the impact they can make at YSU since there is so much "hype" of Pelini returning to coach the Penguins.  Instead of hearing about the offensive tackle from Labrae, it's just awful.  High school football use to be a huge event but seeing as though local schools are struggling to get kids on the team, the question I must ask is how important is high school football then?

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
Ed, I think the concern over the story isn't the story itself that angers some posters on this board.  I believe it's the local attitude of High School football always trumping YSU football that irritates people.  Every night  for the past two weeks some of the local media have been outlining area high school football teams, team by team.  How about instead break down all the transfers that are scheduled to report to camp and the impact they can make at YSU since there is so much "hype" of Pelini returning to coach the Penguins.  Instead of hearing about the offensive tackle from Labrae, it's just awful.  High school football use to be a huge event but seeing as though local schools are struggling to get kids on the team, the question I must ask is how important is high school football then?

Fair enough, JP. I think you're mainly referring to the TV stations. To be fair, they pretty much have to spread out their previews over a period of weeks because of the number of teams and their limited time within each newscast. We're able to put our prep football stuff in two print products and online, so it may not seem as omnipresent.

I think you will find that we'll provide plenty of solid, informative YSU coverage with camp opening this week. In the next couple of weeks, most of our prep stuff will be done behind the scenes as we prepare to roll out the Blitz preview and Faces of Football sections and get the online stuff together.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »
I know the Vindy has had some great articles about YSU the past few weeks.  As far as local TV coverage it's pathetic.  Still breaking down high school teams and we are a week and a half away from the season and there is no coverage of the football team, it's pathetic.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:02 PM »
The tv stations not covering YSU isnt the vindicators fault though

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
Local TV coverage is a joke. Vindy or Trib didn't even cover last saturday's scrimmage... Piss poor.

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 12:15:45 AM »
Vindy ... didn't even cover last saturday's scrimmage... Piss poor.

As usual, you're wrong. But since you're admittedly not subscribing, how would you know?

It really helps to have the facts on your side when you try to rip someone or something. Otherwise, well, you just look silly.

Here is a link to Joe Scalzo's story from Sunday's Vindicator. Hint: He was at the scrimmage, for anyone — like ysufan0505 — unable to figure that out.

http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/aug/23/ysu-football-transfer-ready-to-impact-de/?newswatch
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:11:50 PM by edpuskas »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 11:49:34 AM »
I feel Joe does a good job covering the Guins.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
The tv stations not covering YSU isnt the vindicators fault though

I know it's not the Vindicator's fault.  I simply just posted that on this thread because it was the most fitting thread to post my thoughts of local TV YSU coverage.  Which is why I prefaced the statement by saying I know the Vindy has had some nice articles regarding YSU the past few weeks.