Author Topic: New Video board for Stambaugh  (Read 30719 times)

Offline JVysu2000

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
New Video board for Stambaugh
« on: May 14, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »
Crews are taking down the old scoreboard to make room for a new video board at the Ice Castle

Check out @YSU_Robb's Tweet: https://twitter.com/YSU_Robb/status/598871008867688448?s=09

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New Video board for Stambaugh
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
YES! Thank you lord. Time to upgrade from 1999.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
YES! Thank you lord. Time to upgrade from 1999.

Amen to that!  Many high schools have better that the one we are "losing". 
Anybody know who is paying?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Pepsi? ;D

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
We don't have money for faculty and staff salaries, but we have money to fix scoreboards and stadium lights. YSU has lost track of its priorities.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »
We don't have money for faculty and staff salaries, but we have money to fix scoreboards and stadium lights. YSU has lost track of its priorities.

Do we know where the money is coming from yet?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »

Do we know where the money is coming from yet?
Typical response you'd see from the uninformed to stir the pot... I'm referring to spider btw.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:45:59 PM »
The money for the construction of new athletic facilities (the Watts, the track, the soccer and softball fields) or for improvements in the existing structures (stadium and gym) never comes from the general fund.  It comes from private donations (ex. Watson and Tressel families or Farmers National Bank) or from the proceeds from the football money game.  As penguinpower suggested,  perhaps this is a benefit from the conversion to Pepsi.  That move made no sense without a big cash payout.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
I am told from within the university that the lights are being funded by the YSU Foundation.  I sure hope my source is wrong, but if my source is, I know that lots of other people have been told the same thing. Either way, the Foundation may have some serious damage control to do, either to correct a rumor that is now widely spread or to explain why it is funding this project given some of the other needs of the university.

A new scoreboard is a luxury. If the scoreboard turns out to be Pepsi money, I'd be fine with that. If it is coming from internal funds or the Foundation, no, I am not fine with that at all. I have mixed feelings about the money coming from donations--Tressel and company need to be raising money for the academic side right now, though engineering just got a $2.5 million gift so they obviously are, thus I won't make a big deal about someone wanting to fund stadium lights.

Be careful with the ad hominem remarks.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:05:14 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 08:39:54 AM »
Spiderlegs
Apparently the University has to clear everything with you?  It is my understanding that the Youngstown State University Foundation is an independent, autonomous, private, non-profit corporation.  If you are a contributor, and their contributions don't make sense to you, then my suggestion is to contribute so something that does meet your goals.   Otherwise, I would suggest their actions are appropriate.
It is VERY clear, as has been demonstrated over time at YSU and literally hundreds of universities across the country, that football is a key focus point, rallying point, and point of pride.  Investing money (Pepsi or whoever’s) in football facilities helps to improve the overall experience of the program.   That improved experience helps with growth and pride at the school and in the community and contributes to overall growth and development of the university.  Enrollment has been slipping.  What better way to raise the profile and interest in YSU than to return the football program to prominence?   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »

Whom ever you see advertising on the board in August, will be who is paying for it.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

Whom ever you see advertising on the board in August, will be who is paying for it.

1AA, just curious, but come fall there is this great new video board with a Pepsi logo all over it, are you going to "update" your tag line at the bottom of each posting?  Just asking!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 11:47:25 AM »
Even the small scoreboard is getting updated!

https://mobile.twitter.com/YoungstownStFB/status/599229602356187136

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »

1AA, just curious, but come fall there is this great new video board with a Pepsi logo all over it, are you going to "update" your tag line at the bottom of each posting?  Just asking!

No, I want my Coke back. If Pepsi decides to release a version using real cane sugar ...I may rethink my position. :)

ValleyTalk

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
Here you go spider...

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - Penguin fans will notice a big difference in the end zone when attending home games at Stambaugh Stadium this coming football season.

Workers were at Beede Field this week dismantling the existing 17 by 12.5 foot DiamondVision display installed in 2004.

It will be replaced by a new, larger videoboard that will cost between $350,000 and $400,000.

Assistant Director of Athletic Marketing & Promotions, Robb Schmidt says no public funds are being used for the new videoboard.

According to Schmidt, funding for the project is coming from Pepsi as part of its 10- year “pouring” rights contract with Youngstown State.

YSU has previously funded other scoreboard projects in the same way.

YSU has supplied 21 News with a rendering of what the new videoboard is expected look like when fans return for the first home game on September 12.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:56:48 PM by ValleyTalk »