Author Topic: Assistant Coaches  (Read 120233 times)

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »
Wolford did not have the last say on play calling. Maybe on a 4th down or out of a timeout, but for the most part, Montgomery calls the plays... And when you get shut out in half of league games in the 2nd half, that's a problem. This will not change as long as he's here.
This is absolutely correct. Wolf's background is an OL coach. He has probably never called a play on his own. Monty would certainly listen to his advice but most OC's don't want someone else in their head when they are trying to think.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 05:23:07 AM »
While Pelini wasn’t ready to release any names on Monday — “We’ll release it all when everything is in place and ready to go” — a source said he plans to retain offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery, a former head coach at Miami (Ohio) who spent the last five years on Eric Wolford’s staff. Linebackers coach Ron Stoops (a fellow Cardinal Mooney graduate and former assistant for the Cardinals) and safeties coach Michael Zordich (a former assistant at Cardinal Mooney) also will be back and offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo is likely to return, the source said. Defensive coordinator Jamie Bryant will not return.“I’m looking for high-energy guys, guys that share my philosophy,” Pelini said of his coaching staff. “Guys I know or guys I get to know that really fit what I want to do and how we’re gonna run the program and what we want to do to help these kids grow. That’s what it’s all about.” - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/06/pelini-settles-in-at-ysu/#sthash.clyVcQe6.dpuf

ValleyTalk

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
While Pelini wasn’t ready to release any names on Monday — “We’ll release it all when everything is in place and ready to go” — a source said he plans to retain offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery, a former head coach at Miami (Ohio) who spent the last five years on Eric Wolford’s staff. Linebackers coach Ron Stoops (a fellow Cardinal Mooney graduate and former assistant for the Cardinals) and safeties coach Michael Zordich (a former assistant at Cardinal Mooney) also will be back and offensive line coach Carmen Bricillo is likely to return, the source said. Defensive coordinator Jamie Bryant will not return.“I’m looking for high-energy guys, guys that share my philosophy,” Pelini said of his coaching staff. “Guys I know or guys I get to know that really fit what I want to do and how we’re gonna run the program and what we want to do to help these kids grow. That’s what it’s all about.” - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2015/jan/06/pelini-settles-in-at-ysu/#sthash.clyVcQe6.dpuf
I'm very happy to hear Bricillo is likely staying. Of all of our old assistants, he is the one I wanted to keep most.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2015, 08:11:33 AM »
Looks like Montgomery, Zordich, and Stoops are locks to stay.... Grad assistant coming over from Nebraska per Football Scoop.

"Youngstown State: Bo Pelini has retained Shane Montgomery, Ron Stoops and Mike Zordich per Chad Krispinsky who covers YSU. A source tells FootballScoop that former Nebraska grad assistant TJ Hollowell will join Pelini’s staff as linebackers coach."

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
The ones I would most like to see stay are Bricillo, Bryant and Gallon.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Youngstown State: Per sources Bo Pelini plans to move Ross Watson on the field…we hear as defensive backs coach. We also hear he is working to bring an additional person or two from Nebraska. Will update…

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2015, 06:49:13 PM »
Youngstown State: Per sources Bo Pelini plans to move Ross Watson on the field…we hear as defensive backs coach. We also hear he is working to bring an additional person or two from Nebraska. Will update…

Watson coached with Pelini at Nebraska early in his career before going to FAU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
I thought this was good article. For those of you complaining about second-half adjustments and Coach M.  here is coach Helfrich of Oregon:

“To a certain degree, the scheme and maneuvering go into it, but the ‘x-factor’ is guys being ready to play, guys being confident, all those kind of things that go into prep that are infinitely important right now Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in terms of how we prepare for a game week.”

“Then, during the game, there are certainly adjustments, but I think that’s one of the most overrated things in the world, is these drastic adjustments that these guys say they make…that just doesn’t happen. You don’t change your offense at halftime. That just doesn’t happen.”

I could not agree more. Coach M make his adjustments on the fly. If it stops working ...it is time for the defense to suck it up & give him another opportunity.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2015, 08:05:40 AM »
 I hear that Carl Pelini, Bo's brother will be the defensive coordinator.  Not sure with his checkered past this is the best move.  My source may be wrong, but he usually is spot on.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »
I heard that Bricillo is staying is that true?  Good news if that is true.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »
I hear that Carl Pelini, Bo's brother will be the defensive coordinator.  Not sure with his checkered past this is the best move.  My source may be wrong, but he usually is spot on.
You can't be serious! When Bo first got hired that question was brought up to him and he even said that wouldn't be a good idea

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »
Kyle Brey, son of Notre Dame head basketball coach Mike Brey is reportedly on the staff with Pelini. Was a grad assistant the last 2 years at Nebraska. Played tight end and fullback at Buffalo.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
Kyle Brey, son of Notre Dame head basketball coach Mike Brey is reportedly on the staff with Pelini. Was a grad assistant the last 2 years at Nebraska. Played tight end and fullback at Buffalo.

I have heard the same from 2 sources.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:37 PM »
Let's try to keep a running record of whom we think will be a part of the staff. Obviously positions could change:

Offense:
Shane Montgomery = OC
Carmen Bricillo = O Line

Defense:
Ron Stoops = Linebackers and Recruiting Coordinator
Mike Zordich = Safeties
Ross Watson = Defensive Backs
T.J. Hollowell = Linebackers
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:16:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
Any word about Coach Sims?
I always thought he knew his stuff, but got walked on by Kravitz, Tracey and Bryant.
Who knows why?
Several times Tracey would step in front of Sims while he had the D Line at his attention.