Author Topic: Press Conference Quotes:  (Read 20363 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Press Conference Quotes:
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
Watching that press conference really got me excited about YSU football. Some interesting quotes he said that I heard.

-He said if he were looking to move in a couple years, he wouldn't have taken the job.

-Said he is looking forward to having his kids graduate from Cardinal Mooney

-Said he reached out to YSU to see if they had any interest in the job, finally knew he was coming here on Monday.

-Said he wants to get BUTTS IN THE SEATS and get this community excited about YSU football again

- Said he has had a lot of interest from coaches wanting to come here but will meet with current staff today

-They haven't finalized a contract yet, will iron out the details later on

-Said Tressel was a big reason why he took the job, wants to learn a lot from him, since he has an understanding of how to coach on this level

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:39:24 AM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Press Conference Quotes:
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
Bo also said he hasn't talked to Carl about coming here but it is a possibility.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »
Here is the press conference link if you want to watch it. It  is saved on youtube:

http://youtu.be/ALJAAsglLSc

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
-He said if he were looking to move in a couple years, he wouldn't have taken the job.

-Said he is looking forward to having his kids graduate from Cardinal Mooney

-Said he reached out to YSU to see if they had any interest in the job, finally knew he was coming here on Monday.
Does this honestly sound like a guy that is going to leave us after 1-2 years as a head coach? I'd imagine whatever deal is reached, it will be a 4-5 year deal.

As he made mention of during his press conference, he would have taken one of the other offers that came his way if he wasn't committed to being the head coach here. Perhaps you can get the exact quote, but that is what he insinuated.

Congrats Ron Strollo and Jim Tressel on a great hire!

Spiderlegs

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
I watched his press conference and actually felt sorry for him. He tried so hard to convince us that he wanted to be here, but I'm thinking that the experience of being at a Big 10 just doesn't compare to being here.  No offense to us or to him--the Big 10 and FCS are just different worlds.  However, I think he will be great for us and I hope this works out well for his family.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:08 PM »
He is uncomfortable when meeting with the media, but he handled himself very well.  The most emphatic statement was the one about not moving his kids after 1 or 2 years.  That was sincere and straight from the heart.  This might be another classic example of a professional returning to the Valley.  Many have done that.  I have done that.  And nobody was paying me 150k per month for 51 months. :P

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
I'm not going to hold my breath about Coach Pelini staying longer than 2-3 years. I was reading into his body langue that he just wants to get to work and get the best staff possible and meet his team.  he don't look like he's comfortable talking to the media even before he had the run in with them while at UN. "IF" he gets the crowds to come back 17-22 K per home game and he get's YSU into the playoff's sooner than later I suspect he'll be here more than 3 years.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
In theory, he would never have to work again with the $$$$$$$$$$$$ he will get. But the YSU $$$$$$$$$$ is a good standard of living for this area and he can bank the Big Red $$$$$$$$$$$. However, people will "expect" him to do something for the YSU $$$$$$$$$$.  ;D

I recall well the fanfare for Wolf... local boy from Ursuline. Can't miss.

Then there was the Heacock press conference.  Just continuing the "dynasty".  8)

remember those press conferences for the women's BB coaches ? Hand picked by Strollo. ;D

Grab some popcorn. The show is about to start.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
Come on lets let's no fool ourselves it was Tressel that got Bo to come here and not Strollo.  Geez!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »
From an Ursuline boy to a Mooney star, gotta love Youngstown.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
Things that stuck out for me:

He was upset when someone said that he "stepped down". He disputed that.

He mentioned his want to be here and that he is not going to just hang out for for 1 or 2 years.

He expects "butts in the seats".

He expects championship football.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
Things that stuck out for me:

He was upset when someone said that he "stepped down". He disputed that.

If I correctly recall - wasn't that the same question posed to Wolford when he came here?
If we have our local press calling this job a "step down" how can we expect anyone else to respect us?

Offline huskerfan1954

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 08:46:56 PM »
Hey just wanted to give a shout out to the Y folks and wish you the best with Bo.  I have been a Husker fan for over 40 years and while I think he is a good man, father and husband, I have my doubts about him as a head coach.  Personally, when he was first hired I was very excited, he had been a great defensive coordinator for us under Frank Solich and I liked his fire!  However, 7 years later and after spending over $25 million to have him as our head coach, I am glad he is gone.  Maybe our expectations were to high and our media scrutiny to intense, but that comes with being a head coach earning $3 million a year but not really winning anything of note.  I didn't come on here to bash Bo or your program, I really hope he is successful, but wanted to give a perspective of why it didn't work out in Lincoln for Bo.  Thanks!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »
Thanks for the info, maybe a change of scenery will do the trick. Best of luck to the huskers.

btw - I loved watching those games years ago between you guys and the sooners
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline huskerfan1954

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
Thanks for remembering our glory days, hope they come back but hey, winning traditions in college football appear to be cyclical.  We are trying and have a huge fan base for such a small state, only 1.7 million in the state.  I would like to monitor Bo's success and hope you guys don't mind me chiming in every once in a while, I will always be respectful, but also truthful when it comes to Bo questions, good luck and l look forward to monitoring the Penguins performance under Bo!