Author Topic: Press Conference Quotes:  (Read 20513 times)

Offline huskerfan1954

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Press Conference Quotes:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:40 PM »
By the way, love your site, on our Huskermax site you can monitor but they charge you 10 or 20 dollars to be able to post!!!!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
Stop in any time, our last coach leaned to the "O" side of the ball and in my humble opinion neglected the "D". Hoping that Bo will bring the "D" up to where it needs to be.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 10:48:10 PM »
Hey, Husker. Been reading the "Husker Board" on Huskeronline. Whats the deal with Bo punching out a Ref ? And appears he has been recorded before  in "private" player  meetings. Sounds like the players recorded the meetings and leaked them to the press.  So much for "players loved him" ?

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Redringo, but is it true that the AD didn't talk much to him?  How about not coming in and visiting/spending time with players?

In his press conference here, he was pretty clear that things seemed fine when Coach Osborne was the AD.  Just not with the new guy. 

I get your point though, he has had some pretty embarrassing moments on the sideline.  And to all the folks who know him here, I get the whole passion and wanting to win.  But everyone here has to admit (or at least those who have seen his outbursts during games, which I have), he really needs to work on changing that side of his passion. 

I would just love to see him create a wonderful legacy at YSU.  At the end of the day, it didn't really matter to me who got the job.  I just want to see that individual be wildly successful at YSU.  In this case, it's Bo Pelini and I hope he hits a grand slam in Youngstown.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:41:37 PM by SoupCity »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »
Redringo,

Thanks for the thoughts, I could only guess as to why what happened at NU happened. There is a lot of pressure to win here at YSU, but the pressure here would be nothing compared to the pressure at your level. Maybe a move home and less pressure is what Bo needs.

Only time will tell, but for now I am excited to have him.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

kforbs126

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Another Husker fan here. I'm 52 years old and have been a husker fan all my life. I supported Bo throughout his entire tenure at NU. I even forgave him after nearly hitting a ref with his hat (Iowa 2013) and the nasty press conference that followed ("If they want to fire me, go ahead!"). But after losing to Minnesota, (two years in a row), a team that hadn't  beaten NU in 53 years (they ran 4 plays the entire game this year and Pelini couldn't figure it out?) and the Wisconsin debacles, I'm done.
 All you have to do is look back on all of the blowouts, the turning point in most of those games came when Bo lost his cool. With his chasing players to the bench, screaming and frothing at the mouth, you can see the vibe on the sidelines go from fired up to fragile. After that, it was all over.
Then there's his parting tirade to the players. What kind of an example is that? Blaming his failures on everyone but himself. "I don't get any support from the administration" he says. That is nothing but laughable. Bo had a huge recruiting budget, private jet, a 92,000 seat stadium that has been sold out since 1962 and boosters with very deep pockets. He could literally have anything he wanted as the head coach at NU.
In the end he blamed everyone but himself for his failings.
Ask yourselves YSU fan, Is this the guy I want molding my son?

Much respect to you all and thanks for your time.

Sour grapes.  Nebraska isn't going to be good for a very long time.  You can't recruit kids to go there.  And they hire Mike Riley, LOL.  Yeah good one right there.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:34:17 PM by kforbs126 »

kforbs126

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »
The whole thing with the AD was a two way street. I know people close to the program and Bo didn't like Eichorst from day one and avoided him as much as possible. If Eichorst had been showing up in the locker room and at practices, Bo would have blamed his problems on the "scrutiny".

I loved Bo when we made the hire. I thought, "yeah, this could be the beginning of another dynasty" but after getting kicked in the teeth too many times, I'd had enough.

I realize the spotlight is extremely bright here but Bo knew that coming in, that's why he was paid the big bucks. It got the best of him. For all of his bravado, Bo has very thin skin.

Eichorst is a d***** bag who screwed Miami over.  He's just waiting for the AD job at Wisconsin when Alvarez steps down. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:34:33 PM by kforbs126 »

kforbs126

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »
The whole thing with the AD was a two way street. I know people close to the program and Bo didn't like Eichorst from day one and avoided him as much as possible. If Eichorst had been showing up in the locker room and at practices, Bo would have blamed his problems on the "scrutiny".

I loved Bo when we made the hire. I thought, "yeah, this could be the beginning of another dynasty" but after getting kicked in the teeth too many times, I'd had enough.

I realize the spotlight is extremely bright here but Bo knew that coming in, that's why he was paid the big bucks. It got the best of him. For all of his bravado, Bo has very thin skin.

Eichorst is a d***** bag who screwed Miami over.  He's just waiting for the AD job at Wisconsin when Alvarez steps down.

Husker fans pride ourselves on hard work, dignity, class and pride. 1/4 doesn't cut it.

Good for you but you aren't going to win when you can't recruit kids to come there.  Your AD is also a big time loser.  Read up and do some research.  It's not hard to find out he was hated at Miami. 

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/10/um-canes-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst-could-be-on-his-way-out-to-nebraska.html

kforbs126

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »

Husker fans pride ourselves on hard work, dignity, class and pride. 1/4 doesn't cut it.

Good for you but you aren't going to win when you can't recruit kids to come there.  Your AD is also a big time loser.  Read up and do some research.  It's not hard to find out he was hated at Miami. 

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiami/2012/10/um-canes-athletic-director-shawn-eichorst-could-be-on-his-way-out-to-nebraska.html

Do you really think you're showing me some thing new? Give me a break.
Melvin Gordon didn't run for 408 against Eichorst. He did it against a poorly coached team with SUPERIOR ahteletes.
Are you related to Bo? You both like to deflect.

Deflect what?  That Nebraska is still living in the past and you fired a coach with an average of 9+ wins to hire Mike Riley.  So what Bo is a d*****bag, oh well.  I'm not related to Bo but I laugh at the fact that people didn't like his behavior.  That's the bible belt for you.   

kforbs126

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:02 AM »

Do you really think you're showing me some thing new? Give me a break.
Melvin Gordon didn't run for 408 against Eichorst. He did it against a poorly coached team with SUPERIOR ahteletes.
Are you related to Bo? You both like to deflect.

Deflect what?  That Nebraska is still living in the past and you fired a coach with an average of 9+ wins to hire Mike Riley.  So what Bo is a d*****bag, oh well.  I'm not related to Bo but I laugh at the fact that people didn't like his behavior.  That's the bible belt for you.

Bo was consistently out-coached at the FBS level, maybe he'll do well at a lower level.
Bible Belt???, what the hell are you talking about? Get you facts straight.  http://www.citylab.com/politics/2012/03/real-boundaries-bible-belt/1617/
You must be related, oral fecal expulsions run in the family.

Yes so related.  You can leave now. 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 05:30:56 AM »
Redringo, but is it true that the AD didn't talk much to him?  How about not coming in and visiting/spending time with players?

In his press conference here, he was pretty clear that things seemed fine when Coach Osborne was the AD.  Just not with the new guy. 

I get your point though, he has had some pretty embarrassing moments on the sideline.  And to all the folks who know him here, I get the whole passion and wanting to win.  But everyone here has to admit (or at least those who have seen his outbursts during games, which I have), he really needs to work on changing that side of his passion. 

I would just love to see him create a wonderful legacy at YSU.  At the end of the day, it didn't really matter to me who got the job.  I just want to see that individual be wildly successful at YSU.  In this case, it's Bo Pelini and I hope he hits a grand slam in Youngstown.

SoupCity, I agree with you 100% with regards to Bo doing a better job of channeling his passion and competitiveness in was that are positive. Every coach, even one who seemed calm such as Tress, has their moments when passion gets the best of them in a negative way. I think the best of the best though find ways to limit how often that happens. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much Bo will change? From his press conference, he did not sound like a person who intends to change much in terms of how he coaches.

Bo is kind of "old school", and while that is a good thing in some ways, it can be a negative in other ways. I think they key is finding balance. One of the many positives with this hire is Pelini has 7 years of head coaching experience upon which he can reflect. And, there most likely are things he would do differently if he could do them over. Whether or not that is something he would say to the media is another story. I also think Tressel may be able to have an influence on Bo. I do not expect Tressel to be at practices daily, on the sidelines at games or things like that. But, I can envision the 2 getting together once a week or a few times a month to talk. And, I think Bo will listen. Also, Bucci has mellowed, and hopefully he can help Bo learn better how to channel that passion.

I saw a comment by a person saying Pelini had the body language of a person who will only be at YSU 2-3 years, and who does not truly want to be at YSU, or something to that affect. I totally disagree. He said at least 2 times if he wanted a job for just 1-2 years, or for a stepping stone, he'd have taken a different job. I'm NOT giving a number of years I think he will be at YSU. But, I truly believe YSU and the Youngstown area are where he and his family want to be at this point in their lives. I will not be surprised if he is at another job in 5 years, and I would not be surprised if he stays at YSU for 15-20 years. Most likely, he does not have to worry about money for the rest of his career. And, even once the buyout runs out, a family of 5 can live quite well in Ytown area on $200,000 - $250,000 per year. Plus, with he and his wife being from Ytown area, being grads of Mooney, he may decide he is content to be a big fish in a small pond? Only time will tell.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
One guy is not going to change the program around.  It takes an entire team of assistants and players.  The good thing is that Bo knows what he wants and needs to get us to where he and we want to go.  After thinking about this for a few days I think that I am beginning to understand that Bo's passion for winning is so high that he doesn't care as much where he is coaching as much as he wants the organizational support there to ensure he has a chance to win.  Based on Bo's perception, it doesn't sound like he had the support at NU (Bo is so "to the point" that I totally believe him too).   Some of these guy have really ultra competitive streaks and I think he is one of them.  He will set the tone, but the coordinators will be a challenge for the pay range and Bo may need to be more hands on here.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 08:08:37 AM »
One guy is not going to change the program around. 

One guy is changing things, but it's not Pelini. It's Tressel. Look at what's happening: More leadership out of the president's office than we've seen in a decade or more. Broken things are getting fixed. What's happening with football is a microcosm of what we will be seeing across all parts of the university. The message is pretty clear: mediocrity is not acceptable.  YSU could be a very different university in 5-10 years.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
One guy is not going to change the program around. 

One guy is changing things, but it's not Pelini. It's Tressel. Look at what's happening: More leadership out of the president's office than we've seen in a decade or more. Broken things are getting fixed. What's happening with football is a microcosm of what we will be seeing across all parts of the university. The message is pretty clear: mediocrity is not acceptable.  YSU could be a very different university in 5-10 years.

One guy makes a difference but one guy does not change everything.  It takes the one guy making the difference to get more out of everyone else he is surrounded by.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
One guy makes a difference but one guy does not change everything.  It takes the one guy making the difference to get more out of everyone else he is surrounded by.

It is easier to instill fear than develop passion.  We've already tried the first route with failure; time to develop passion.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:13:06 PM by IAA Fan »