Author Topic: Announcement Tomorrow - Pelini  (Read 33700 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement Tomorrow - Pelini
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 12:29:28 PM »
Let them all they want. The fan base will be renergized. People are excited already. Youngstown State is trending on Twitter. Great national pub!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »
Also, the comments on ESPN.com and now CBSSportsline are not exactly flattering toward YSU. Tells you how much the luster from the 90's has been lost. One person on CBSSportsline commented:
"What? Was the gig at Slippery Rock not available?

"lmao...i wouldn't even take that job" ... another from CBS Sportsline

Comments from ESPN:
"That's like Wall Street to walmart."

"He couldn't do any better than Youngstown State?"

"youngstown power house since when? lol .. they were good with Tersel at helm thats about it ..Also Pelini didnt know how to head a team or hire correct asst is were the blackshirts went had the talent didnt know how to use it."
Seriously, who cares...

kforbs126

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »
Also, the comments on ESPN.com and now CBSSportsline are not exactly flattering toward YSU. Tells you how much the luster from the 90's has been lost. One person on CBSSportsline commented:

Comments from ESPN:

"youngstown power house since when? lol .. they were good with Tersel at helm thats about it ..Also Pelini didnt know how to head a team or hire correct asst is were the blackshirts went had the talent didnt know how to use it."

You are quoting one guy who can't even speak properly.  Most people don't even know who YSU is.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »
Listen. We all know why he came back home. Pressure. Word is that he and his wife had no social life. After games they went straight home. Here he and his wife can be seen in public and proud of the fact they are from the YO. All he had to do is win at a level He thinks he can win at. Make a ton of money from Nebraska and live a good life here. Big time football is not what it is cracked up to be. 9-3 at Nebraska!! 9-3 here and he is a winner!!

Go Guins!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
I wonder if this comes with an understanding that they would try to move the program to DI eventually.  Not saying I would be for that, but it is just so unusual, looking for the growth potential that might have enticed him.  I could see Tressel and Pelini thinking that way.  Anyway, it's great for YTown.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Going to FBS? What Conference?
C-USA or Sun Belt?
Definitely would not be MAC... No way AAC and MWC is in Western USA.

No natural rivals in CUSA based on Geography. Rivalry with Marshall would be easy to start though. But, with UAB dropping football, CUSA will now have 6 teams in the East and 6 in West. So, why add a 13th? Adding 2 teams would be possibility, with YSU in the East along with

East Division is now Marshall, WKU, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee, Florida Atlantic and Florida International. Some long road trips, and that would be for games in the division.

East had 7 schols this year, and the teams played 2 cross over games in CUSA. This year, those games for Marshall were Southern Miss and Rice. And, people complain about the travel in the MVFC???

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »
When Wolford was fired, most of us felt that, due to monetary restrictions, it would be impossible to acquire the services of a successful big time coordinator.  Now look at what apparently has happened:

-defensive coordinator of a national champion FBS program
-veteran head coach from the Big 12 and Big 10

All made possible because of the ridiculous, long term contracts that big time schools offer to their head coaches.  Thank you Nebraska.  We will spend your money well. :D

When Tressel coached against Pelini in the Big 10, he told the story of his unsuccessful attempts to recruit him to YSU.  How ironic that he got a second chance and apparently pulled it off this time.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
Cafaro corporate jet going to pick him up today in Lincoln:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N523WC

It is set to leave YNG at 2:40pm.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:48:08 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
That's the flight I was talking about. Now that someone else revealed it. That is what I heard from source.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:44 PM »
I've talked to a few players... All are beyond excited to play for Bo!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:05 PM »

Comments from ESPN:

You are quoting one guy who can't even speak properly.  Most people don't even know who YSU is.
Agreed. I have more faith in Walmart than Wall Street. We did not have to bail out Walmart.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 12:57:11 PM »
Okay, next question is WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off. Hard for me to believe the YSU job is the best he can do. And, he had best win and win big, or he can forget another FBS Head job.

Losing the "money game", losing to NDSU and at least 1 other MVFC team, then going to playoffs and winning 1 game will be failure for a coach that was HC for 7 years at Nebraska. People will be expecting Tressel like results. And, not just YSU fans. Failure to beat teams like NDSU, failure to win MVFC and failure to make deep playoff run and win NC within next 2-3 years will just make the opinion that "Pelini teams cannot win the big games" echo louder than ever.

Jeez man life isn't always about taking the "best" job.  Maybe he wanted to be close to his family.  Maybe he wanted a less stressful situation.  I make 6 figs in the military yet chose to get out because I want to be closer to my family and I'm sure I'll take a huge paycut.

Not mad at you. Just want to know if you actually read the entire post? Point I was making is that winning the MVFC will still be very difficult. NDSU is not going to get worse because YSU hires Pelini. Nor will SDSU and UNI, the 3 most consistent programs in the MVFC. Also, YSU is not going to get kids who are now and have been signing with OSU, Michigan, PITT, Louisville and other FBS schools. Might get some kids who would otherwise go to MAC, with emphasis on MIGHT. At the end of the day, YSU is still going to be FCS.

The expectations were high for Heacock and Wolford. For Pelini, they will be even higher. That is the main point I'm making. 8-3 or 9-2 next year, with a loss in the "money game", loss at home to NDSU and then loss to another MVFC team is not going to cut it with Pelini as HC. Will likely be enough to make the playoffs, but not enough to win the MVFC or be 1 of the 8 seeded teams. That means likely getting a home game in 1st round, then going on the road for 2nd round against 1 of the 8 seeded teams. Pelini was fired from Nebraska for not winning the BIG, not winning enough in Bowl games, and not winning enough of the "big games". The issues with his cussing would not have been issues had he won the BIG 3-4 times, gone say 7-2 or 8-1 in bowls, and won multiple BCS Bowls.

Anything short of MVFC Titles, wining record vs NDSU, winning games against FBS teams and winning an FCS Title in the next 3-4 years will be failure. Not saying that is fair, it's just pointing out how high the expectations will be for Pelini at YSU. AS for returning home, Ytown is a craphole, as is the ENTIRE area.

I have been gone from Ytown for over 2 1/2 years, and would be fine if I never again set foot in Ohio, let alone Ytown area. Then again, all of us are different, and it's not as if Lincoln, NE is anything special. I was there one time, and glad it was only one time.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 12:58:04 PM »
I dont know how to feel about this.  I can't for the life of me figure out why he would come here.  I haven't posted but have read every comment for weeks.  I still don't get it.  I also can't help but to immediately think about the future as in how long does he stay?   And then we have to do this all over again.  I dont know...just very hesitant about this from every angle. 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »
"Anything short of MVFC Titles, wining record vs NDSU, winning games against FBS teams and winning an FCS Title in the next 3-4 years will be failure. Not saying that is fair, it's just pointing out how high the expectations will be for Pelini at YSU. AS for returning home, Ytown is a craphole, as is the ENTIRE area."

I totally disagree.  Let's start with a playoff invite next year or the following year.  Maybe win a game or two in the playoffs.  It's about starting a new era in the YSU Football program.  Heacock and Wolford failed, let Pelini dig in and see where it goes before you start putting "FAILURE" next to his name. 

As for your comments about Youngstown.  Glad you left, don't come back IF/WHEN Pelini helps this program move forward. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:16:51 PM by SoupCity »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
Looks like Let's Talk woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Sure we won't know anything until Pelini starts coaching games but I'll tell ya one thing.... He gives them a hell of a lot better chance of winning and making the playoffs than Mr. Wolford did.