Author Topic: Announcement Tomorrow - Pelini  (Read 34071 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Announcement Tomorrow - Pelini
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Pelini Will be announced tomorrow and introduced as new head coach at YSU. Done deal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:09:16 AM by peteonastick »
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pelini
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:56 AM »
and Ohio State lost its QB coach and offensive coordinator so Montgomery to Columbus?

Lets_Talk

Re: Announcement Tomorrow - Pelini
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
peteonastick,

Not calling you a lier. It's just that until there is a press conference at YSU and Bo Pelini is OFFICIALLY named HC at YSU, I'm not going to believe ANYONE who says he will be hired, and it is a done deal.

Also, in order for this to be a done deal, the hire will have to be approved by Board of Trustees. They have a regularly scheduled meeting today at 3pm. What goes on in the meetings is public record, so it would be senseless to wait until tomorrow to make an announcement. Waiting until tomorrow would mean the BOT would need to meet again just to approve the hire, and do so 1-2 days after meeting today. Does not seem to make any sense?

I can see YSU announcing today that Pelini will be the new HC, pending approval by the BOT, and then having the press conference tomorrow. That makes total sense. But, at least from your post, it does not appear that is what is going to happen?

So, please excuse my skepticism and confusion as sincere.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
 Peteonastick is right on the money.  Pelini returning to Youngstown tonight, introduced tomorrow.   

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »
WKBN reports that its true---time will tell.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
Vindy just reported it too.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
If it is true, then the next few years at YSU ought to be very, very, very interesting.

It has been over 1 hour since this thread was started and 25 minutes since a person posted WKBN is saying this is true. Yet, nothing on ESPN.com, CBSSportsline or Yahoo Sports. Not saying Pelini to YSU isn't going to happen, just saying those 3 National sites are not reporting on this story. Kind of odd if this is indeed a done deal. I'm guessing they were duped once, so this time they are waiting until 100% certain to run with the story.

I did see an article on SB Nation, and it cited FootballScoop as the outlet that made this public. Then story was updated to say Ytown media are also reporting story to be true. Again, the skeptic in me says this is FootballScoop throwing $h!t at the wall again, and hoping this time it sticks. SB Nation and FootballScoop are the TMZ of sports. So, once again, please understand my skepticism, until an OFFICIAL announcement is made by YSU.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/9/7365187/bo-pelini-hired-youngstown-state
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:55:57 AM by Lets_Talk »

kforbs126

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
If it is true, then the next few years at YSU ought to be very, very, very interesting.

It has been over 1 hour since this thread was started and 25 minutes since a person posted WKBN is saying this is true. Yet, nothing on ESPN.com, CBSSportsline or Yahoo Sports. Not saying Pelini to YSU isn't going to happen, just saying those 3 National sites are not reporting on this story. Kind of odd if this is indeed a done deal. I'm guessing they were duped once, so this time they are waiting until 100% certain to run with the story.

I did see an article on SB Nation, and it cited FootballScoop as the outlet that made this public. Then story was updated to say Ytown media are also reporting story to be true. Again, the skeptic in me says this is FootballScoop throwing $h!t at the wall again, and hoping this time it sticks. SB Nation and FootballScoop are the TMZ of sports. So, once again, please understand my skepticism, until an OFFICIAL announcement is made by YSU.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/9/7365187/bo-pelini-hired-youngstown-state

Already posted on ESPN. 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12036743/former-nebraska-cornhuskers-coach-bo-pelini-become-coach-youngstown-state-penguins

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
Story is now on ESPN.com, but not yet on CBSSportsline or Yahoo Sports.

ESPN story says YSU is not likely to announce the hiring today. This just gets more and more bizarre. BOT is meeting today. BOT will have to approve the hire. So, if it's a done deal, why not make announcement today, then do the press conference and all the media stuff tomorrow?

How will it be possible for BOT to approve the hire today and not have that info made public today? And, does this mean BOT is going to have a special meeting tomorrow simply to approve hire of Pelini, even though BOT meets today at 3PM??

And, if ESPN is now running with the story, why is YSU waiting until tomorrow to make the announcement? If true, then this will be on SportsCenter, ESPN Radio, FOX Sports Radio and all other legitimate, major sports news outlets. So, why wait until tomorrow for someone from YSU to say publicly the story is true? And, WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12036743/former-nebraska-cornhuskers-coach-bo-pelini-become-coach-youngstown-state-penguins
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:10:16 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline DoubleET_Kid

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »

They did that a week ago as well. I'll believe it when there's a press conference

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »
Whether they meet now or tomorrow. It's a done deal!!  They may make the announcement today and have the official presser tomorrow. Plane is on the way to pick him up!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:21:51 PM by peteonastick »
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »

They did that a week ago as well. I'll believe it when there's a press conference
Yes. My son said the same thing. He is still questioning it.

They probably are waiting for  Pelini to be in town for the press conference. YSU made the announcement on Tressel for President right after the executive committee of BOT met. Of course, Tressel was already in the area.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »
Okay, next question is WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off. Hard for me to believe the YSU job is the best he can do. And, he had best win and win big, or he can forget another FBS Head job.

Losing the "money game", losing to NDSU and at least 1 other MVFC team, then going to playoffs and winning 1 game will be failure for a coach that was HC for 7 years at Nebraska. People will be expecting Tressel like results. And, not just YSU fans. Failure to beat teams like NDSU, failure to win MVFC and failure to make deep playoff run and win NC within next 2-3 years will just make the opinion that "Pelini teams cannot win the big games" echo louder than ever.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:21:12 PM by Lets_Talk »

kforbs126

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
Okay, next question is WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off. Hard for me to believe the YSU job is the best he can do. And, he had best win and win big, or he can forget another FBS Head job.

Losing the "money game", losing to NDSU and at least 1 other MVFC team, then going to playoffs and winning 1 game will be failure for a coach that was HC for 7 years at Nebraska. People will be expecting Tressel like results. And, not just YSU fans. Failure to beat teams like NDSU, failure to win MVFC and failure to make deep playoff run and win NC within next 2-3 years will just make the opinion that "Pelini teams cannot win the big games" echo louder than ever.

Jeez man life isn't always about taking the "best" job.  Maybe he wanted to be close to his family.  Maybe he wanted a less stressful situation.  I make 6 figs in the military yet chose to get out because I want to be closer to my family and I'm sure I'll take a huge paycut.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »
Also, the comments on ESPN.com and now CBSSportsline are not exactly flattering toward YSU. Tells you how much the luster from the 90's has been lost. One person on CBSSportsline commented:
"What? Was the gig at Slippery Rock not available?

"lmao...i wouldn't even take that job" ... another from CBS Sportsline

Comments from ESPN:
"That's like Wall Street to walmart."

"He couldn't do any better than Youngstown State?"

"youngstown power house since when? lol .. they were good with Tersel at helm thats about it ..Also Pelini didnt know how to head a team or hire correct asst is were the blackshirts went had the talent didnt know how to use it."