YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Ysu Football 2023

<< < (5/7) > >>

The YO Show:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 02, 2023, 08:09:57 AM ---Depth means nothing unless these are good players. I mean we can get anyone off the street and say we have 'depth'. Players not leaving a team located in NE Ohio tell me we may have a crop of D-II players that are happy here. Seriously, a YSU team that is already close to filling a 2-deep on front lines, should have us starting at 1-3 in the conference and discussions on what we need to do to make the post-season should be what we are reading about. I am just going to assume we are rebuilding and see how much progress is made.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, I think we have done better in recruiting. I should have also included the next quote to make my point further too though (also from the article):

“I think retaining those players keeps you out of there,” Phillips said. “And the one thing that’s happening here (at YSU) because of the portal, there’s a lot better high school athletes available for you. We’ve seen that with the high school athletes we’re getting in our program, before they probably would have been at MAC schools. Those kids are getting overlooked.”

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 02, 2023, 09:20:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 02, 2023, 08:09:57 AM ---Depth means nothing unless these are good players. I mean we can get anyone off the street and say we have 'depth'. Players not leaving a team located in NE Ohio tell me we may have a crop of D-II players that are happy here. Seriously, a YSU team that is already close to filling a 2-deep on front lines, should have us starting at 1-3 in the conference and discussions on what we need to do to make the post-season should be what we are reading about. I am just going to assume we are rebuilding and see how much progress is made.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, I think we have done better in recruiting. I should have also included the next quote to make my point further too though (also from the article):

“I think retaining those players keeps you out of there,” Phillips said. “And the one thing that’s happening here (at YSU) because of the portal, there’s a lot better high school athletes available for you. We’ve seen that with the high school athletes we’re getting in our program, before they probably would have been at MAC schools. Those kids are getting overlooked.”

--- End quote ---

He is telling us we have the lesser players. Read between the lines. The portal players (which we do not have) are better than the local Prep kids and we do not have those portal guys ...the MAC schools do (and so do the Dakota programs). So we are no further ahead. All that changed is where we get the players. Yes, I still like having local kids, but we learned back in the Heacock era (when we first arrived in the conference) that we need to recruit more like a IA program than a I-AA program. The fact remains that 3/4 of the MVFC would be more than competitive in the MAC. The difference now is that these locals (if they are any good) will be in the portal (and not at YSU) next year. I want to see if Phillips can put a team together in 30-days, because in Ohio he pretty much has to.

The YO Show:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 02, 2023, 04:49:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: The YO Show on August 02, 2023, 09:20:37 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

He is telling us we have the lesser players. Read between the lines. The portal players (which we do not have) are better than the local Prep kids and we do not have those portal guys ...the MAC schools do (and so do the Dakota programs). So we are no further ahead. All that changed is where we get the players. Yes, I still like having local kids, but we learned back in the Heacock era (when we first arrived in the conference) that we need to recruit more like a IA program than a I-AA program. The fact remains that 3/4 of the MVFC would be more than competitive in the MAC. The difference now is that these locals (if they are any good) will be in the portal (and not at YSU) next year. I want to see if Phillips can put a team together in 30-days, because Ohio he pretty much has to.

--- End quote ---

I still think we are ahead of where we were recruiting wise under Pelini, but I do also see your point now.

Wick250:
Phillips' comments about the availability of superior athletes coming out of high school rings true. Each scholarship that a G5 school spends on a P5 transfer pushes a high school kid down to FCS or even D2.

It is obvious that the high school kids that Phillips recruits are vastly superior to those that Pelini brought to campus. How much of that was the impact of the portal and how much of that was Pelini's lack of effort? I don't know but am very happy with the direction that Phillips has taken our program.

Double ET:
From Tribune/Vindy

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2023/08/libertys-rushton-set-to-take-over-at-tailback-for-ysu/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version