YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Ysu Football 2023

<< < (4/7) > >>

The YO Show:
I'm loving the amount of coverage! In terms of the preseason poll, I am conflicted. I feel that it is not too far off of where I have the penguins, yet at the same time, I feel slighted. I can understand SDSU, NDSU, UNI, and even UND at 4... I do not understand putting SIU ahead of YSU.

The YO Show:
In discussing recruiting in the age of the transfer portal, Phillips noted that YSU remains a “developmental program” and that with MAC programs such as Kent State or Akron focusing more and more on transfers, it’s allowed YSU to target a higher level of high school recruits. That’s also been boosted by YSU’s ability to retain players from season to season.

And here is a big change I have noticed under philips. It does appear as though the player development is going well to me. This year, aside from the lone D2 transfer, we had no other transfers. No FCS or FBS transfers in, and very few (4 IIRC)? transfers out. One of those being Crenshaw.

IAA Fan:
Depth means nothing unless these are good players. I mean we can get anyone off the street and say we have 'depth'. Players not leaving a team located in NE Ohio tell me we may have a crop of D-II players that are happy here. Seriously, a YSU team that is already close to filling a 2-deep on front lines, should have us starting at 1-3 in the conference and discussions on what we need to do to make the post-season should be what we are reading about. I am just going to assume we are rebuilding and see how much progress is made.

YSUGO:
We lost 75% of our offense last year with graduation of Our RB. He made Davidson serviceable for our playaction plays. We had an offensive coordinator that most people wanted to fire.  Our schedule is easier this year we don’t have the bison to lose too this year.  We open against Northern Iowa with 2 weeks to prepare to start League action. To me that’s a signature gsme for this coaching staff.  We open with a win then we are progressing if not it’s the same BS and another 6-5 or 7-4 season. 

The YO Show:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on August 02, 2023, 09:00:15 AM ---We lost 75% of our offense last year with graduation of Our RB. He made Davidson serviceable for our playaction plays. We had an offensive coordinator that most people wanted to fire.  Our schedule is easier this year we don’t have the bison to lose too this year.  We open against Northern Iowa with 2 weeks to prepare to start League action. To me that’s a signature gsme for this coaching staff.  We open with a win then we are progressing if not it’s the same BS and another 6-5 or 7-4 season.

--- End quote ---

I agree with most of this. I think The UNI game will be a bellweather for the season... but safe to say I am very optimistic. The culture DP has been instilling is showing and the team still returns a big core. While we can't replace jaleel, our passing game this year is going to be pretty good I have a feeling.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version