YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (23/29) > >>

IAA Fan:
Guinpen and others ...sorry to pull a Paladin here. Without looking it up, can you tell me who the WBB Frosh-of-the-year is? Can you tell me which YSU players are on the Horizon MBB 1st, 2nd and frosh teams? Can you tell me which team we play in the MBB HL Tourney, when, and/or what our seed is? Can you tell me the date of the spring game? Can you tell me what day we started football camp and any of the TB's (besides McCaster) in attendance?

If you understand what I just asked ...then you will see why this thread is a waste of time. All of these things are posted on this board in the last 24-hours or so, but certain posters will not let anything be above "I hate Slocum", "I hate Montgomery", "I hate Strollo", etc.  threads. These are simply trolls. Sure the MBB head coach is a big thing ...but anytime someone posts something constructive about it, it is buried in repetitive, hateful nonsense. It is too negative & falls WELL below the above items in fan importance. Yes this thread is more tame and I had to threaten a few posters to get it that way (always the same few); which I should not have to do ...we are adults. That is why this thread is so many pages long GuinPen ...because trolls push it up to the top by posting the same old ...same old.

I think it is time for a change as well, but a whole lot more than just at HC. But of course, here come the attacks on Strollo instead of a more normal discussion as to why the program is the way it is. As if the athletic administration and coaching staff has no idea what has been going on over the past decades. Insulting them is not any kind of reason and/or conversation.

Football is not my favorite sport, but it generates the revenue for most all other sports ...it has to be the most important. So let's talk about YSU basketball and Slocum:

-Do you think we have the resources to recruit and stabilize a deeper team/staff, we could win with Slocum? I do.
-Do you think if we did not have to meet title-IX requirements that we would have a better MBB program? I do.
-Do you think it is worth going to the old Chevy Center? I do not. It is no larger than Beeghly. They cannot even draw some of the better entertainment because they rushed into building a facility that is too small. We would still spend the same resources on Beeghly (for all of the other sports) and have additional resource requirements to rent the Covelli Center ...it is a no win move.
-Given the current political climate in the NCAA and the relative small scope of WBB in the collegiate ranks; do you not feel that our resources are better spent improving the women's program over the men's? I do.
We are all agreeing that a culture change is needed in the Valley for YSU basketball; maybe it needs to be focused on the Lady Pens?

In short until we (as a university) are willing to make a commitment to MBB, all we are doing is making a staff change. Any positive results will be short-lived. It is not the fault of Slocum and it is not the fault of Strollo ...but they do have to take the "heat" and I understand that; but let's keep the board at a decent level.

YSU1:
Hey they locked up the 9th seed.  Maybe they will make a run in the tournament.

ucfpengbuck:
IAA Fan,You say it's not Slocum & Strollo fault.   Who's at fault ?   I'm asking out of lack of clarity not to be argumentative. 

What steps in your opinion does the University need to make to have a competitive program?

I'm like you were I'm tired of hearing the coach and the AD suck.   I would love some clear specifics.   Seems the info on the board is very vague.

jbags:
It seems to me that complete apathy has set in...how do you explain getting rid of Wolford while keeping Slocum...i just don't get it...neither do many of us...we haven't ever been close to competitive in the Horizon...whoever is to blame is debatable but the fact that administration doesn't seem to care is not...that is what upsets many of us and that has to end

Wick250:
I agree with jbags.  It seems that the athletic administration considers basketball to be an Olympic sport.  The impression is that winning is not very important.  That impression might be totally inaccurate, but how else can fans interpret this agonizing toleration for failure?  If the school has any hopes of recapturing the interest of fans, they must demonstrate that success is the new standard by which basketball will be judged, same as football and women's basketball (when the team is not destroyed by injuries.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version