YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (22/29) > >>

ytownchief22:
Sports is a cruel business. He's not winning, he's had a tremendous amount of players leave the program the last couple years. He is not good with the media and community and you do not see the excitement and passion as you do with other coaches. Time to go.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on March 01, 2017, 06:00:43 PM ---Sports is a cruel business. He's not winning, he's had a tremendous amount of players leave the program the last couple years. He is not good with the media and community and you do not see the excitement and passion as you do with other coaches. Time to go.

--- End quote ---

Is there anything else we can do to keep a thread that no one cares about going? It is masked under YSU Men's basketball, when it is just another "I hate Slocum" thread. People leaving this program has just about zero to do with the head coach and will not change with a new head coach. It will take a lot more than that. Solid athletes leave high-end programs and low-end programs ...the former want a chance to play (or play more) and the latter think they can do better. The better the player we bring in, the more likely it is going to happen ...and Slocum has been recruiting a better caliber of MBB player in recent years.

I understand it is all about winning and losing; if not Jon Heacock would still be your head football coach. However, there is a lot more to it ... and when you look at those things, coach S had done pretty well. You bring up things like a couple of player incidents ...yet both of these things were handled well within the program. Grades are solid in a sport traditionally not know for GPA, he recruits well, he calls a game well, and he cares about the program and university. For all of these things he deserves a round of applause; so if he is no longer going to be with us (for whatever reason) simply give it to him? No some people on this board just love to be arrogant.  However, if we are just going to pump up the salary by $50k to $75k and bring in someone else ...why bother? It is not going to put us in the post-season dollars or change the face of the program ...just the faces of the staff.

guinpen:
I need to refute several comments.

Hard to say this is a thread that no one cares about when it is on it's eighth page. I find it refreshing that people still care enough about MBB.

Thread is not masked, clearly the subject contains MBB and Slocum.

In the past this board has had more then enough JS hate, for the most part this thread has been pretty calm. Certainly there are more folks that want him to leave then stay.

I do not question for a moment that JS cares about the program, you feel that he recruits well and calls a game well. If so I can not understand why we do not win more.

I do not get the "why bother" comment, the reason to bother is obvious, to try and bring positive attention to our great university. A new face may just improve the GPA. A new face may just put us in the post season dollars. We need to trust that RS can find the right guy.

The loyalty is commendable and I am sure you have your reasons.

Penguin Nick:
I agree with guinpen.  I lot of individuals care about men's basketball.  1AA, you have made it very clear in the past that while you would like to see all athletic programs succeed, the only program that matters to you is football.  For many others on this wonderful site the pathetic shape of men's basketball is also a priority.

Petey:
Do not post much, but must agree with above time for a change!

GOOOO GUINS!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version