YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (24/29) > >>

IAA Fan:
Good questions UFC and I am not really certain, but I think we have some good ideas on this board. I honestly think that we could more affordably build the WBB program into something, then rebuild the men's program out of that:

1) Beeghly is a good venue for some of the more powerful ladies programs & we could attract a level of competition that the men will never see at home. Even Butler had issues getting teams any higher than Ball State to play in Indy.

2) I think that we could get a nice tournament at home for the ladies. Between UWGB and a couple of our power friends in the MVC: Drake, Missouri State, Southern Illinois. Some of the PA schools (including Pitt) would line up for this type of competition.

The other way is to come up with more funds for the men's program & I do not like the idea of bringing in new people and hoping that change = success. Slocum may not like being forced out, but he is not far from retiring on his own. There is a wealth of experience we could get from him, in terms of what is truly needed to make the program (AT YSU) successful. Anyone can look at another program and say ...let's pattern ourselves after them, but that may not work at YSU. Slocum and Strollo both know what can work specifically at YSU; let's get a brain trust together and work toward financially being able to secure the decisions coming from this board. This accomplishes two things for the fans in the Valley and YSU:

1) It tells us that they acknowledge our issues, and
2) They are willing to do something (more than just point fingers) about it.

-It is going to have to include a stronger presence in AAU, overseas and the local schools.
-I think we have really retooled our general education and sports curriculum to bring some more high-risk players.
-I think with some of our Olympic sport successes in overseas athletes, perhaps we could take some of that knowledge and put a couple of people on the MBB court. This is where the campus improvements can really shine.

Could we afford to "pull a Syracuse" and have a coach-in-waiting"?

Any other ideas?

IAA Fan:
It was very telling to read articles about both wins and see that YSU knocks both teams out of the NCAA Tourney. The Horizon is simply a guaranteed 1-team  conference now, no chance for an at-large without Butler.

So I guess that we are just going to have to win the next 2-games

Dmorton:
How sweet would that be to win the Horizon Conference tourney title and go to the NCAA tourney after our miraculous run to the National Championship in football.  I'd say that would be a pretty good sports year for YSU!

go guins:
This run has to be killing the JC haters! 
Too bad boys. 
Way to go YSU MB team!

ysuguins4:

--- Quote from: ysuguins4 on February 25, 2017, 07:30:49 PM ---Thank goodness.  Only 1 game left for Jerry.
--- End quote ---

Guess I missed on that.  Happy for the players.  The first YSU mens team to win 2 games in the Horizon League Tournament, and the first to advance to the semi-finals.  The hard part is over.  The top three seeds are gone.  Finish it off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version