YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League to add 10th member

<< < (3/6) > >>

IAA Fan:
$$$ dollars per win? By that logic, the stars of NFL teams make less on .500 season than super bowl champions? Not true there or here. Someone has to lose ...we just wish is was not us so often. To compete it takes money ...overall dollars. Again I do not see why we would even use UWGB as a milestone. People on this site would expect Butler performance, not that of a team that traditionally can maybe have an above even season. Their budget is as large as ours and they have no football, so if you even think I can be convinced they spend the same money on basketball as we do ...not quite. Yes, they ski and that is very, very expensive ...but not quite football expensive.

Penguin Nation:
$/win is just a measure of ROI. Valpo has a worse $/win than YSU but pours so much more $$ in their MBB that they overcome a worse $$/win   It's more complicated that that however, because with Valpo's stronger SOS, each win should cost more.... So it really is only a useful stat with similar SOSs.

axiom:
IPFW?

go guins:
All this $/ win stuff is bizarre to me.  So if Pelini does no better this year with Wolford’s players than Wolford did our $/win would be worse because Pelini is paid more? (not counting the Nebraska money, in which case, even if we go undefeated, we’d still have the highest $/win in 1AA)  This “measure” doesn’t allow for program development etc.  Second, it is kind of what we do in education when we talk about teacher evaluation/merit pay.  You never get a good teacher to go into an “at risk” class because her “rating” and therefore merit pay goes down, even thought it might serve the overall education system better.
I don’t think the coach’s salary should come into measuring success at all.  It will find it's fair level.

Penguin Nation:
The $$/win is limited in it's usefulness, particularly since it doesn't factor in SOS.

But I do think it has some usefulness. Imagine, for example, if YSU was a member of the OVC or NEC in all sports.  Our win # would increase (the last place HL team, YSU, defeated the NEC champion...in their home), and our travel expenses (especially in FB) would decline.

There would be a significant improvement in winning per dollar spent.

In these days of limited budgets for athletics...its something to consider, IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version