YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League to add 10th member

<< < (2/6) > >>

Spiderlegs:
Atlantic Sun has higher women's RPI because of Florida Gulf Coast. After that, the conference is pretty dismal and isn't as competitive as Horizon.

No secret that NKU wants to be in Horizon and Horizon has been interested in NKU, and NKU is within bus-trip range of Dayton. The other candidate that sometimes surfaces as a travel partner for WSU is IUPUI, but there don't seem to be the same warm fuzzies between IUPUI and Horizon as there has been with NKU.

Wick250:
One day YSU will once again have a good men's basketball team.  Of course, for you young ones that will come about the time that your grandchildren are graduating from high school.  Until then, do we really want a stronger Horizon League?  Why do we care about multiple conference bids to the NCAA tournament?  I hope that Northern Kentucky is the tenth member.  It would reduce travel costs for both of our basketball teams and make scheduling very easy.  Every school would have a convenient travel partner.  For us it would mean a solo game in Cleveland plus one trip to Wisconsin, one trip to Chicagoland (UIC and Valpo,) one trip to Detroit, and one trip to southwestern Ohio (NKU is located right across the river from Cincinnati.)

It is imperative that the MVFC maintain an elite standing.  But in our current basketball condition, weaker is better, especially if it saves us money as well as adding a team we might be able to beat.

Penguin Nation:
I've read that the HL eventually wants to have 12 member schools, to protect itself from further defections like Butler and Loyola.  I think it's a near certainty that NKU is in, but will there be more?  Some contenders are IUPUI, Belmont, Evansville, Lipscomb, and UMKC.  RMU is also talked about, and I think it'd be good for YSU, but I think they'd be foolish to change conferences.

NKU has a lower MBB budget than YSU. The argument by many for FB is to stay in the MVFC so that we rise to our superior opponents level of play.  It sounds like for MBB, the hope is not improvement, but rather weak OOC opponents and now, weak HL opponents, to pad the W/L record.

BigDWSU:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 27, 2015, 02:50:11 PM ---NKU has a lower MBB budget than YSU.
--- End quote ---

NKU has a higher MBB budget than YSU. 

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: BigDWSU on April 27, 2015, 09:27:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 27, 2015, 02:50:11 PM ---NKU has a lower MBB budget than YSU.
--- End quote ---

NKU has a higher MBB budget than YSU. 

http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget

--- End quote ---

You are correct.  In 2014 NKU spent 70K more than YSU.  My numbers were from 2013.

http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/429/who-next-hl-addition

That is a nice site, BTW.  Interesting that for all of the talk about budget, UWGB spends less $/win (actually about $10K less per win) than YSU.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version