YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League to add 10th member

<< < (6/6)

IAA Fan:
I thought you were complaining about home schedule?

Okay in 2014-15 our tourney was a MAC school tourney; as I said we should seek out better tournaments. However, I also think we should take any MAC or MVC contest that we can get. We played Illinois State & Texas A&M on the road.

Robert Morris, Duquesne, Kent & Pitt should be annuals & almost are. However, you will have to give Duquesne and RMU football games to get the basketball; which we have done.

The year prior we were at the Kennesaw Tournament. Also Kent, St John's and Pitt.

Then we had Georgia, GWU and S. Florida.

There is just way too much talk about what I think is almost a non-issue. When we are winning 20+ games a season and we are turned down for the NCAA or NIT because of our schedule ...then my schedule concerns will go up. Yes I want bigger tournaments and try to get bigger home games but that is not going to happen. It took Butler back-to-back NCAA finals and a move to the Big East to get those games.

Penguin Nation:
A home and home with UNI and NDSU...both in the NCAA tournament...would also be a nice OOC upgrade...

IAA Fan:
Agreed on UNI and NDSU ...but not going to be as big a draw as Kent, Akron or BG.

Clark Kellogg was talking on ESPN a couple of years ago. I do not recall, which of the two NCAA final years it was. However, he noted that year Butler played 5 top-25 teams (4 of those being top-20) ...their record was 5-0 & they were all on-the-road. He echoed Butler's complaint that Mid-Major teams were never going to get the home games. If they want big games they have to go on the road. Clark noted the irony of Butler going (in 1-year) from a team that nobody ever heard of, so it was impossible to get a home game against a top-25 team ...to a team that nobody wanted to play in Indianapolis because they did not want the loss.

We have a long way to go to be that kind of mid-major power. We would also have to step up to at least the MVC (for recruits) & then the facilities complaints will start. Right now I would love to have a regularly-successful women's team & let the men go as they will until we get the ladies were we want them to be. It is dramatically more simple for YSU to see success in women's programs ...so why not take the easier path & dedicate men's monies to football and keeping some of the endangered sports ...all of which are men's? Believe me, a successful YSU women's basketball program will see some of the best attendance for a mid-major programs in the Midwest. There will be thousands. The people of Youngstown take a lot of pride in their teams   ...but they need to win.

go guins:
For many years I heard and participated in this mid-major argument and it never gets anywhere.  Truth is the only solution is 1AA basketball, just like football.  (And no FBS-FCS crap either! 1A & 1AA)  I wonder how they justify the FBS when they are playing a football national championship tournament at 1A now?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version