YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League to add 10th member

<< < (4/6) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 30, 2015, 03:24:23 PM ---The $$/win is limited in it's usefulness, particularly since it doesn't factor in SOS.

But I do think it has some usefulness. Imagine, for example, if YSU was a member of the OVC or NEC in all sports.  Our win # would increase (the last place HL team, YSU, defeated the NEC champion...in their home), and our travel expenses (especially in FB) would decline.

There would be a significant improvement in winning per dollar spent.

In these days of limited budgets for athletics...its something to consider, IMO.

--- End quote ---

And you think this makes sense?  What limited budgets are you talking about?  The one guaranteed profit business in America is universities.   Yes, YSU’s 1014 budget is down slightly, but not as much as enrollment is down, IE spending per student is up.  And when the total university spending is down slightly the spending for sports was up, and this isn’t the first year that has been true. 
If you see value in your bizarre $/wins, then what is the value you see?

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 30, 2015, 04:13:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on April 30, 2015, 03:24:23 PM ---The $$/win is limited in it's usefulness, particularly since it doesn't factor in SOS.

But I do think it has some usefulness. Imagine, for example, if YSU was a member of the OVC or NEC in all sports.  Our win # would increase (the last place HL team, YSU, defeated the NEC champion...in their home), and our travel expenses (especially in FB) would decline.

There would be a significant improvement in winning per dollar spent.

In these days of limited budgets for athletics...its something to consider, IMO.

--- End quote ---

And you think this makes sense?  What limited budgets are you talking about?  The one guaranteed profit business in America is universities.   Yes, YSU’s 1014 budget is down slightly, but not as much as enrollment is down, IE spending per student is up.  And when the total university spending is down slightly the spending for sports was up, and this isn’t the first year that has been true. 
If you see value in your bizarre $/wins, then what is the value you see?

--- End quote ---

It's one metric among many.

I hope that at least once a year, the Athletic Department brain trust sits down and analyzes everything in detail...scheduling...promotions...conference affiliation....coaching quality....and how to maximize revenue and limit expenses.

Without going into a big thing...I think the MVFC is a great example of a low ROI for YSU's investment.  Except for the 2014 season, the MVFC members have been screwed over by the playoff selection committee every year.  Our SOS due to a MVFC conference schedule is very high, therefore our W/L record is lower, and our travel expenses are very high.

In the OVC, NEC, or even CAA, we would have a a better W/L record and lower expenses and more playoff appearances.

Having five teams from the MVFC chosen by the playoff committee in 2014 gives me hope that YSU may not be so ill served by its MVFC membership as it was in the past.

Anyway, I don't fully understand your comment.  I think you surely acknowledge YSU has limited resources for athletics.  If not, I want to know why there aren't seat warmers for every seat in Stambaugh Stadium.  Again, $$/win is one way of looking at ROI. 

go guins:
IMO, ROI and public education don't go together at all.  Look at the inventment in the band and the ROI for bands?  Expense, tons, Return -0- 

"I hope that at least once a year, the Athletic Department brain trust sits down and analyzes everything in detail...scheduling...promotions...conference affiliation....coaching quality....and how to maximize revenue and limit expenses."
If this doesn't happen, they somebody (several bodies) should be fired.  But to analysis as you describe in the previous sentence makes sense, to put some ROI calculation in place is just a waste of time.

YOUR comment: "In these days of limited budgets for athletics."
My point is YSU is increasing spending on athletics faster than the rate of inflation, so I don't see the "limied budgets" you are refering to.  Obviously there would be no need for an "unlimited budget" so by definitation all budgets are "limited" but you are implying something I'm not seeing.

SoupCity:
Dayton Daily News is reporting that Northern Kentucky is the newest member.

ysuguins4:
Now that we'll have a home and home with the Norse, maybe they'll remove Wilberforce from the schedule.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version