Author Topic: Could we please fire Slocum now  (Read 45838 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Could we please fire Slocum now
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 12:41:45 PM »
Time to go.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 08:59:14 PM »
I would think that the Horizon League would not allow UWM to participate in the conference tourney. The winner of the tourney is the automatic qualifier.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
Another double digit loss..... Sigh.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »
I would think that the Horizon League would not allow UWM to participate in the conference tourney. The winner of the tourney is the automatic qualifier.
Bingo, UWM is banned from all postseason tournaments and that will include the Horizon League tournament. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 07:11:07 AM »
Slocum seemed to start to turn the program around a few years ago now the program has gone backwards in a major way.    It is beyond watchable now.

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 11:29:32 AM »
Ok, Now that it is clear that Slocum must go it could be time to start thinking of his replacement. I'll toss a name out there: Mike Rice Jr. I believe he is coaching 6&7 grade girls basketball in New Jersey. His last interview with ESPN he stated he would like to coach again at the college level. I think his hiring would be interesting and then we can truly be known as the University who gives Coaches a second chance.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
Interesting if we would get someone like Rice Jr.  Besides his temper he is  good coach.  We just need a young energetic coach.  We don't have that now for sure

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
When kids get busted showing their prick to unsuspecting ladies on campus, or get busted with plants, I say give 'em a second chance.

But when adults do this...it's a very different situation:

"The situation changed dramatically on April 2, 2013, when ESPN's Outside the Lines aired several hours of video from Rice's practices. According to ESPN, the video, provided to Pernetti by then-assistant coach Eric Murdock, showed Rice berating, pushing, kicking, cursing, using homophobic slurs, and throwing basketballs at players during practice"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rice_Jr.

That quote leaves out that he was throwing basketballs at their heads.  IDK why Rice escaped criminal charges for assault.....the case would be a slam dunk.

I say he is a sociopath.  I wouldn't send my kid to play at YSU with him coaching there.  I am not impressed with his response to the scandal either, where he pretended to be the victim.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
I vote Marlon Smoke Williamson.  Detroit connection, yes.  Knows Youngstown and the program, yes.  I know he has far from the credentials we should be looking for...but no way he could be as bas as what we got. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Hire somebody under the age of 50 please.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »
Bobby Knight is available and he still visits his hometown Orrville, OH.
Oh - that would kill the someone under 50 by a long shot. 
I think however you stack it, money is the big issue and landing an up an coming
coach that will take YSU to the next level (which right now would be a small step up)
seems to be too much to ask for.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »
I am happy where we are for no less than another year with set expectations from Slocum. Both major men's program changes in 1-year? Not a good sign to anyone. Not a smart idea.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »
1AA so you want another year of this crappy basketball for the simple reason you mentioned.  We suck and look at the record and look at how bad it is.   WE ARE 1-10 IN THE LEAGUE IN LAST PLACE-OPEN YOU EYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   IT'S NOT GOING TO GET BETTER. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
I am happy where we are for no less than another year with set expectations from Slocum. Both major men's program changes in 1-year? Not a good sign to anyone. Not a smart idea.

Lol good to know your happy being a mediocre and last place team.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Deep Thoughts by Jerry Slocum:

"....WTF does it take to get fired around here?  Maybe if I cheered for the other team?  What if I wore a diaper and a baby bonnet to a game?  Hell, they'd probably renew my contract again if I did that....."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen