Author Topic: Could we please fire Slocum now  (Read 46477 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Could we please fire Slocum now
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2015, 12:16:04 PM »
Strollo knows coaching talent.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »
I am happy where we are for no less than another year with set expectations from Slocum.

That's because you are not at the games to see how empty it is.  Last year's average attendance was only 2300, and this year it is down to 1800.  If they wait any longer, they'll lose even the diehard fans.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2015, 06:31:08 PM »
????What's not a good sign to send 1AA??? That the people in charge recognize a problem......and attempt to fix it? Is that child psychology....or the psychology of a child? Your reasoning is lost on me.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
Slocum will be back next year.  At least that is what I am being told!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
I have heard no talk otherwise ...which is fine by me. Ignore the timing issue; I just like the guy and the teams he puts together.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2015, 09:18:52 AM »
So you like the teams he puts together.   You mean the losing teams he puts together.   Head scratcher. Now let me go get a beer after that comment

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
So let me get this we fire a football coach who had a winning record and we keep a bball coach who is like 80 games under .500 is mind boggling.  But this is Strollo and YSU we are talking about.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »
So you like to watch losing basketball Fan? Go guins!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
Maybe we should go back to playing D2.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
Here is the deal for me.  I could care less about a non contact sport like basketball. I say spend the money on football and let us remain where we are in basketball.   I would even say to drop all basketball and funnel the money to football and stadium upgrades.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:00:15 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2015, 10:22:01 AM »
If the goal is not winning, which subsequently would increase the ROI on the second most expensive sport at YSU, then what is the goal of the MBB program?

If the goal is to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars annually so that a handful of students can learn sportsmanship and teamwork, then yes, drop to a lesser conference or division, where the same experience can be provided at a far better value.

Just like successful sports programs can enhance enrollment and a University's image, the opposite is also true.  A failure like MBB that wears the YSU label makes the University look like a haven for underachievement.

Reading that an abject failure like Slocum may even have a chance at returning for another season is an epic absurdity.  Only a government institution can burn other peoples confiscated property (money) on a proven and expected failure.

As a lifelong Penguin fan, I've gone to my last Slocum game earlier this season.  If the YSU administration wants to burn the program into the ground, fine, there's plenty of other college basketball teams to watch that give a sh--.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2015, 01:33:28 PM »
Here is the deal for me.  I could care less about a non contact sport like basketball. I say spend the money on football and let us remain where we are in basketball.   I would even say to drop all basketball and funnel the money to football and stadium upgrades.

Brace yourself, penguinpower. The greed of the Power 5 conferences may be the end of NCAA football as we know it. Lots of schools will be reconsidering their commitment to football over the next few years.  IMO, I think YSU's position will depend on the outcome of the Pelini era.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
Before Slocum took over Robic stunk it up, and we were like the worst basketball program in NCAA D1 or close to it.  Slocum has at least made us look like a D1 program.  I do think the Horizon is not the right fit for us we will not ever be a top 3 team with the amount of dollars spent by us vs our other competitors who spend way more than us.  Horizon had lost a lot of its luster since Butler departed and if I remember right the conference seeding as dropped as well.  I don't know the answer but Slocum is running the program on a dollar general budget and runs a clean program.
A Penguin for life!!!