Author Topic: Could we please fire Slocum now  (Read 44556 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Could we please fire Slocum now
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
I think I am going to puke from all of these lets keep Slocum backings.  Some of you need to wake the freak up

LOL!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
Really pride? Do you think that we would see significant performance with a new coach and even $2mil spent? Go ahead and let them try, but if you take any money away from football, there is going to be hell to pay.

Furthermore, do you not see that all of our other non-football sports have improved? This will all go away if we try to boost revenue for basketball and not touch football. Furthermore, did you not see what happened to our last women's coach? If Barnes continues to have this kind of a season it will happen to him this year as well. A viciously-stupid cycle of paying high $$ to short-term guys.

Nobody is saying boost revenue for basketball. Just find a better coach plain and simple. We didn't boost revenue in the women's program and look where Barnes is taking us..... A vicious cycle? Oh you mean actually having a decent program that will attract better recruits and IF Barnes were to leave, attract a better coach who knows he's coming into a good situation and not a crap hole? Come on now....

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »
Holy sh@t. We spent 1.3 million on basketball and dropped wrestling??!! For what?  Losing season after season!!  Bring back wrestling and give the program 1/3 of that budget and you'll see a winning program!  Fire Slocum and hire a wrestling coach!!  Recruit local wrestlers and people will come to the matches. What a joke and travesty! 

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:24 PM »
If 06-07 was his best finish in the Horizon they were the previous coaches recruits.  Specifically, Quin and the other kid whose name I cant recall as I write this comment. 

Online Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
If 06-07 was his best finish in the Horizon they were the previous coaches recruits.  Specifically, Quin and the other kid whose name I cant recall as I write this comment.
I believe it was Keaston Roberts. I probably spelled his name wrong. What a pair of shooters! I think they both went into semi-pro or played in Europe.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
Some of you just don't get it.  Revenue will not fix being out coached.  Now wonder we lose with fans who think losing is ok.   Later.  Enjoy your losing with Slocum.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
Oh one final thing did anyone of you supporters see the game vs Cleve State?   Yep budget was to blame for that lack of hustle.  Yep Slocum is the best.  Yep!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »
I believe it was Keaston Roberts. I probably spelled his name wrong. What a pair of shooters! I think they both went into semi-pro or played in Europe.

Right. Davis and Liles were on that squad as well. Let's not forget Barber either, good at the line and good rebounder.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 09:35:53 PM »
Hmmm another embarrassing double digit loss.... How many fans in the crowd? 100?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 05:09:46 AM »
If they don't beat UIC at home on Saturday, I'm gonna wonder if they'll win any HL games this season.

FWIW, Massey predicts YSU to win Saturday over UIC and then again over UWM for the final game....by one point.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=267615
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Lets_Talk

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 03:28:00 PM »
Just a few comments:

First, I'm not a Slocum apologist. Simply trying to get people to see just how bad YSU men's basketball has been at the D1 level prior to Slocum, with the exception of Mike Rice(only HC above .500) and with Dan Peters. I agree this is NOT a reason to accept mediocrity, nor an acceptable reason to keep Slocum. A main reason I pointed this out is to limit the Ron Strollo is a horrible AD comments. As bad as Slocum's record is, only Dan Peters has a higher winning percentage among HC's since Mike Rice. And, at least he has had some teams that were fun to watch, and managed to draw decent crowds to Beeghly. Also, Keston Roberts was a Slocum recruit. The 06-07 team did benefit from players brought in by Robic. The thing is, these are guys who played sparingly for Robic and found their way to his "dog house", something that seemed very easy for players to do under Robic. Three of the 5 leading scorers on the 06-07 team were Slocum recruits. And, I do not believe "Q" would have developed into the player he became with Robic as HC. He came to YSU as a guy who was an amazing athlete, but not much of a basketball player. He left as a very, very, very good basketball player. He played his final 2 years for Slocum. Another key contributor to that team whom Robic recruited was John Barber. He thrived under Slocum, as did Dwight Holmes, who was an amazing athlete, and did alot of things most fans do not recognize. Defense, rebounding, setting screens, supporting teammates, being an emotional spark off the bench.

Second, Slocum was given a contract extension in 2011. I do not know when his contract expires, and the people that at one time posted on this site who likely know that info do not post any longer. My guess is he has at least 2 years left, given that nothing is being mentioned about whether or not to extend his contract beyond 2015-16. With the current state of affairs money wise at YSU. it's hard for me to see where the money will come from to buy out the remainder of Slocum's contract, plus pay a new HC. Of course, the people who appear to not be able to live if Slocum returns for another year could always contact Ron Strollo, let him know how you feel about Slocum as HC, and then let Ron know you are willing to provide the money to pay the buyout.

Third, one problem for YSU Men's basketball in terms of finances is they lost their ONE AND ONLY Sugar Daddy back in the late 80's, when Mickey Monus started the WBL, and also began to funnel his money to the football program. Monus was a HUGE donor to YSU, and especially YSU basketball during the day's of Mike Rice. With Ytown being an area where people live and die for football, he was the only MAJOR donor the program had. It helps to have a Sugar Daddy or Sugar Momma, and preferable to have multiple Sugar's  ;) . For many years, Denise and John York were huge donors to the womens program. I believe they pulled back most or all of their money intended specifically for women's basketball when Coach D was forced to resign. I do not know if they have resumed their donations to the women's program at the level during Coach D or not? I do know at that time, one of the things they did was sponsor one of the full scholarships for the women's program. That alone is very helpful to a program, and I'm pretty sure they did more than that in terms of financial contributions specified for women's basketball.

Fourth, the team this year is bad. There is no way to put this gently. They are bad, at least for the HL. This might be a competitive team in the NEC, as RMU is 8-10 overall, but 4-2 in the NEC and YSU won at RMU. Might even be a competitive team in the OVC, which is ranked 24th in RPI, and has only 3 teams with overall winning records when counting only D1 games. But, YSU plays in the HL, not the NEC or OVC. It is very hard at this point to see YSU winning more than 2-3 games the rest of the season. UIC and Milwaukee, and then maybe catch a team sleeping in a 3rd game at home. It's also possible to envision this team finishing 0-16 in the HL if they lose Saturday to UIC.

Fifth, YSU is and always will be a football school. I do not believe men's basketball has TRULY been a high priority at YSU since the mid/late 80's. I believe basketball ceased to be a high priority once Tressel got the football team winning consistently(which started in 1989) and slowly the crowds for football games began to increase. Also, as pointed out earlier in this post, Monus took his money to football, or at the very least to Ray Isaac and a few other players that lived with Ray and/or were close to Ray. Also, look at the replacement YSU hired for Cleamons in 1989. They promoted 29 year old John Stroia from assistant to HC. His experience was 1 year as a GA at Ball State, then 4 years as HC at The Ohio State University at Lima campus, and 2 years as an assistant at YSU. John was/is a nice guy. He tried his best. He was just in way over his head as HC at YSU.

In the 90's, YSU became one of the top programs in FCS football. And, Coach "D" turned YSU Women's basketball into one of the top D1 mid-major programs in the country. Men's basketball essentially became something to just past the time until Spring football. Now that YSU football has made the FCS playoffs only 1 time in the last 14 years, and with the decline of the women's team starting in the final few years of Coach "D", then continuing with Hill and Martin, the deficiencies in the men's basketball program became even more noticeable. Women's basketball has since been revived by Boldon and Barnes, which when combined with no playoffs for football, makes the lack of success for men's basketball more noticeable. And, joining the HL in the 01-02 just made those deficiencies even more glaring. YSU now has Jim Tressel as President. And, as attractive as that may be to a potential head football coach, I'm not sure it's going to be seen the same way by a potential men's basketball coach. Especially when the AD is a former YSU football player and Captain of the 1991 National Championship Team. Also, it would not surprise me if the story of what led to Peters leaving YSU to become an assistant coach at Cincy is still circulated among coaches when discussing the YSU job. Especially given that involved decisions made by Tressel while AD, and now Tressel is back as President. Also, my humble opinion is if the YSU football team begins making the playoffs again, and women's basketball continues to play at a high level, men's basketball will once again become an afterthought. For those of us who like basketball more than football, this is not positive. However, the reality is in the Ytown/Warren area, the people who prefer basketball to football are vastly outnumbered. I now live in Las Vegas, where it is the complete opposite. Basketball is king at UNLV(even thought they are woeful this year), and football is an after thought. So much so that Rebel Park, where the football team practices is jokingly called "Rebel Ark", because the "P" above the entrance to Rebel Park where the practice fields are located fell off several years ago, and has not yet been replaced.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:46:23 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »
If Slocum returns next season because of a Heacock-esque unwarranted and undeserved contract extension....then the responsibility for that debacle falls on the person authorizing the contract renewal....the AD.

Past failures of others do not excuse current failures by Slocum.  Also, many shortcomings of the program are unrelated to funding....including losing Ryan Weber.  Also, I did not see any payoff in recruiting after the CIT tournament in 2013.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 07:51:13 PM »
If Slocum returns next year, I will net step foot at another Men's game.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 08:09:02 PM »
Let's quit using the excuse of funding...and what we could pay a coach. That's like putting out a job posting and saying " paying $10.00 an hour, only a heartbeat required. No performance expectations....as we understand the pay is low". Or hiring the salesman who always meets his draw, but never earns a commission. If you become complacent in your expectations, you will always remain stagnant. Performance is something that can be judged. A value can be placed on it. If you enter into a task and expect mediocrity, based upon your low pay scale....you need to re-evaluate the need for that position. Maybe MBB is not needed. Maybe we need to drop down to D2. If you are not going to continually evaluate the "performance" of your employee, and make changes when necessary(as now), you truly wouldn't be the one employed by my business.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »
It looks like YSU may not even qualify for the HL tournament? It looks like the 9th ranked team stays home?

Hopefully we get in w/ a win when UWM visits and maybe another somewhere....and UIC stays at 1 win.

http://hln.s3.amazonaws.com/sports/brackets/2/bracket.pdf?1410196033