Author Topic: Could we please fire Slocum now  (Read 44558 times)

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Could we please fire Slocum now
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:17:59 PM »
After watching last nights game I think there is no hope with Coach Slocum for the rest of the season.  My thought is Strollo fires him now and have one of the assistant Coaches as interim for the remainder of the year. It can't be any worse than what is going on now. This will allow more time to search for the new coach. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Could we please fire Slocum now
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Cant fire him now it would upset the half dozen on this forum that think he is doing a good job.   I would expect though that he is not coming back next season if anyone at the university has any sort of a brain.
He has been kept too long and has the program now going backwards like Heacock did with football.   So sad to see 850 fans in the stands for conference games.    Funny we take action with a coaching change in football when we didn't see playoffs and declining attendance but its  that same result seems to be ok with basketball.  Makes no sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »
FIRE HIM! NOW!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
It's embarrassing to watch this team right now. I don't want to hear any crap about financial situation. Look at what Barnes is doing with the ladies! You mean to tell me we can't find a young, energetic coach who will light a fire under this program??? Jerry is horrible with the media, just looks like a grumpy old man who just wants to get 700 wins and go into retirement. TIME. TO. GO!

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:25 PM »
Penguin4ever....which assistant would you prefer? Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum? Watch a game. Zero input from either. At least Coach Hall gets recruits... ala the Detroit connection.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
After watching last nights game I think there is no hope with Coach Slocum for the rest of the season.  My thought is Strollo fires him now and have one of the assistant Coaches as interim for the remainder of the year. It can't be any worse than what is going on now. This will allow more time to search for the new coach.

I would be surprised if they are not already conducting a search.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »
Penguin4ever....which assistant would you prefer? Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum? Watch a game. Zero input from either. At least Coach Hall gets recruits... ala the Detroit connection.

Exactly.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
Fwiw... He is 3 wins shy of 700. Perhaps if he can eek out three more he can go out with quite the milestone.

This is team is now playing as I predicted at the start of the season when I said eight wins. Poor on both ends of the floor and it is upsetting.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 09:38:42 AM »
Fwiw... He is 3 wins shy of 700. Perhaps if he can eek out three more he can go out with quite the milestone.

This is team is now playing as I predicted at the start of the season when I said eight wins. Poor on both ends of the floor and it is upsetting.

I find this a high energy team, so it can be fun to watch sometimes, especially the younger players. IMHO, what's missing is someone to step forward when the game is on the line. No senior leadership. I'm not sure how much of this is poor coaching, how much is poor recruiting, and how much is the players.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:42:00 AM by Spiderlegs »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
The AD and university cant hide behind the idea that they cant afford to pay a Mens Basketball coach for much longer.. The fact is they cant afford to continue this either... The coach will attempt to hide behind the fact that the team is YOUNG... Which is his fault because of poor recruiting and defections from the program... 

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »
  All very good points in above posts.  Slocum has been a failure, but my concern is that I hear the powers at be think he is doing a good job.  Are the expectations so low for men's basketball, that YSU accepts this?   We hold football coaches to a very high level of accountability, but not basketball?

I understand football is the lead program, but how can they justify keeping Slocum.  I have several issues with the guy.   He hasn't won  is the big one, and we haven't even sniffed an Horizon League title.

Forget about winning the tournament, make it to the semifinals once.   My other issues are that he looks miserable, sounds miserable, and appears to me that he is just bitter.  Also, I think as a head coach you need to be visible in the community, is the guy ever out at about at major community events??????

Also, I think his staff is weak.  He has two assistant coaches with him from day one.  If either were any good they would have moved on, they can't get better jobs.   

I really believe though YSU will Slcoum to call his shot, and retire on his terms.  Very sad.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:02:09 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
The fact that Slocum got this team to above .500 twice in his tenure and made a post season appearance in a tournament nobody heard of, with arguably the best player in YSU men's history and the administration celebrated that like we made the NCAA tournament is sad. Time to go! We have been mediocre long enough.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
Guys. There is no way that Slocum is holding on for 700, that is not even in his nature to care. If it was all about winning, why did he come here? This program is far better off that when he came and competing at a far far higher level that any coach prior to him. Maybe it is time for him to go, maybe not; but he has earned the right to make that decision.

Yes this team is young, and very balanced. Deeper than any in recent memory. IS that an excuse? No, just what it is. Why can we not talk about basketball, as we do football? All we ever do is trash Slocum. Let's talk players, abilities and what they are doing right and wrong. Analyze ...not criticize. Too many win, lose, or who cares fans that don't help us understand the game of basketball at YSU.

Man I love to come on this board after a football game. People analyzing every critical play and the major successes and failures. No better place to be. We have NEVER done that for basketball in the 26-years I have had a version of this board.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Guys. There is no way that Slocum is holding on for 700, that is not even in his nature to care. If it was all about winning, why did he come here? This program is far better off that when he came and competing at a far far higher level that any coach prior to him. Maybe it is time for him to go, maybe not; but he has earned the right to make that decision.

Yes this team is young, and very balanced. Deeper than any in recent memory. IS that an excuse? No, just what it is. Why can we not talk about basketball, as we do football? All we ever do is trash Slocum. Let's talk players, abilities and what they are doing right and wrong. Analyze ...not criticize. Too many win, lose, or who cares fans that don't help us understand the game of basketball at YSU.

Man I love to come on this board after a football game. People analyzing every critical play and the major successes and failures. No better place to be. We have NEVER done that for basketball in the 26-years I have had a version of this board.

Ok let's talk basketball then.... About how we are 0-5 in league. Getting blown out by the lower teams in the conference in our own league. He  has to go, plain and simple.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:26 PM »
OK, 1AA, let's talk basketball.
As for why he came here? It's a lot more prestigious job and I would assume it paid quite a bit more. As bad as YSU basketball may be....it is a better job than DII, DIII, NAIA or NJCCA.
As for earning the right to determine his outcome? That right is earned by SUCCESSFUL coaches. I guess you gave us all a little insight on how you judge success. Mediocre at best is not a success to me.
We are young? Last year we started 2 SR, 1 JR and 2 SO. This year we start 2 SR, 1 JR and 2 SO. Not much difference. Vaughnn off the bench is a FR, much like Keene was last year. Stewart off the bench is a JR, much like Larson was. If your definition of "young" truly means "new to the program", you are correct. But, we are not truly "young".
Deeper? Look at the minutes played. We still have 4 players averaging above or near 30 minutes per game! The only reason we don't have 5 is because Coach Slocum can't figure out who he is going to be pissed at from game to game. As an example, how can Plummer start 11 of 15 OOC games and yet only record 1 minute of action in 5 conference games? Sure, you are going to say he can't shoot, look at his percentages. Well, if that were the case Vaughnn and Stewrt both would still be sitting. They started the year off horribly.
You said this team was "more balanced and deeper than any team in recent memory". Those are statements generally associated with someone explaining a teams reason for success? You used it as an excuse? I am confused.
The league is weaker than I can recall in recent years. UWGB is beatable, CSU has had some flaws, VALPO is not the team of recent years, WSU is mediocre and so on. We just lost, convincingly, to a team that has nothing to play for.....and it reflects in their record..UWM.
Enough basketball for now. I look forward to talking basketball in the future. Let me know when you find some.