Author Topic: YSU wins  (Read 33049 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU wins
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »
A win is a win is a win. Great game to watch.

Where the heck was the flag on Cooks run in the second qtr?

D still needs some work but got the job done.

No turnovers - thank God!

Special teams had a bad night.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU wins
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28:49 AM »
Defense and special teams just terrible. We had one bad series of offensive play calls & the game did not go to 28-7 ...which I though it would. It was deep & we never should have went for it. Momentum shifted badly toward UNI & it was an offensive showdown from there out. That being said, I will take a win over UNI any way I can get it. Too late to make any specifics, but congrats to the fans. What a turnout with perhaps the worst weather in a long time ...just wonderful. Yes, a legit 20k today folks. Did you see how UNI actually had fouls called against them today? I do not think I have ever seen that before. Although I hate them  ...thanks ESPN, the refs had to call it.

ps: we mauled that guy on the last play, but he had already pushed-off. Great to see the call go our way!!

Offline ysu2000

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »
Great game and win for the Penguins. But I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with our fanbase. What other NCAA football program has a head coach who has done nothing but encourage fans to get off their asses and participate, especially on 3rd down, yet we have fans that cannot make a sound on 3rd or 4th down, seconds left and the game on the line and then get pissed when someone stands in front of them. Some should stay home and just watch the replay on my wtv. 

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 12:50:49 AM »
IAA-I wasn't at the game, but I listened to it. PapaGuin said the pass interference was legit, and if they would've called defensive pass intereference the refs would have needed a tank to get out of Youngstown :D.  It was another classic YSU-UNI game. Actually the YSU-UNI game was one of the better college football games today.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »
Wow what a game! Where to start? How about some tackling drills and learning how to cover the middle of the field!!! My god that was horrible. Special teams needs cleaned up. Good thing we have a bye this week. Get to work

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
IAA-I wasn't at the game, but I listened to it. PapaGuin said the pass interference was legit, and if they would've called defensive pass intereference the refs would have needed a tank to get out of Youngstown :D.  It was another classic YSU-UNI game. Actually the YSU-UNI game was one of the better college football games today.

Not saying it was legit or not but if there was no call - it did not happen. Tons of no-call plays every game,

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 08:20:02 AM »
But I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with our fanbase.

Some should stay home and just watch the replay on my wtv.

I was shocked on how many thousands of fans bought tickets and would not wait out the rain.

Guessing they decided to stay dry and watch the game on tv  they missed a great game.

Team was flat at times as were the fans, but both came through when needed

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »
Wow what a game! Where to start? How about some tackling drills and learning how to cover the middle of the field!!! My god that was horrible. Special teams needs cleaned up. Good thing we have a bye this week. Get to work

Totally agree,  F*** that stupid zone.  If you are going to let everyone get behind you then you might as well play man to man.  Looked like we were in man coverage when we got the INT (need to watch the replay).  Playing soft zone is for high school.  Message to Tresey-The defense is painful to watch at times.  We play ten yards off of the receivers and let them pass underneath.  The slant was there all day and they left a TD on the field with a few dropped passes and 1 bad throw.  Is it really that difficult for the kids to play in position?  Take a lesson from Albany....they know how to defend the pass.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:02:03 AM by penguinpower »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »
That was one of the best games in a long while.  Most of the fans came through when we needed them except for those that just refuse to cheer.  Our D is getting worse each game as teams know they can pass all over us and now we are forgetting how to tackle.  Hess was unbelievable in the 4th quarter as was the rest of the O.  I still see us losing 2 road games and finishing 9-2.  We still have to go to NDSU, Ill. St., and SDSU who are all playing great right now.   Fix the D and 11-0 is possible.  Go Guins!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
I think the fans were great ...let's be realistic:

1. I cannot remember having worse weather for a game. No more than 40-45 at game start. Close to freezing by game end ...and the rain never truly stopped.

2. Even so, at one point, we were filled in ...even in the upper-corners.

3. The fans were very loud. It is just that someone needs to tell Wolf to act like a head-coach, and stop begging for noise. If he wants noise, how about placing a defense & special teams play on the field. We are screaming and losing our voices, for what? A YSU kick-off, a subsequent return to about mid-field, then a frosh QB sitting back in the pocket all-day taking his team into the end-zone in two plays. How do you expect people to keep cheering?

4. If we are not into the game, the music is enough to tell us to cheer ...we do not need taunted by a coach.

So enough of the fan talk ...we were great!!! I am so proud, no other team would have such crowd under such weather conditions.

Now back to the game:

How about Hess? He was faltering ...then came out and led his team to victory! he was about to go down, and through that pass to (I want to say Shaw), & he took it down to the 4. How clutch was that? Then the very next drive he stood tall & rifled a pass that was over one defender & just in front of a slanting receiver. Could not have been thrown better by Jaws himself ...just an awesome job Kurt!!! When he steps up & then plants his feet ...no one is better on Saturday or Sunday.

Again I will comment on Pace. Hisinital contributions did not go well, as he had no time to get out of the flat against their blitz. Once he went forward, he just pick up a couple of great 1st-downs. And the Cookie Monster himself ...did you guys see him push for that 1st-down & carry 2-defenders?

The Panthers were ready for Stubbs, but Bryan was fantastic, and Will Shaw? What more can you say about him? As great as Hess was early & late ...Shaw was all game & my choice for MVP.

Edwards had me furious, as he blew his coverage. then they picked on him again, and he got the INT ...way to redeem yourself!!!

Lots of good stuff to talk about people. Any other thoughts on best performances?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:42:24 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
whats the deal with marcel carver....did not see the field...would much rather see him on the deep routes then stubbs..

the place would have been rockin had it not rained...we got to the lot at 2....and stayed the whole game...the tgate lots were
jamming early afternoon before it rained...

as far as the crowd noise goes....still sad....hardley anyone grts off there butts....need to get some cheerleaders in the stands
to start some cheers....used to chant defense....and ysu back in the days...

nort iowa is a good team..thay number 7 is as good a player as we will see all year...would be nice if they miss the playoffs...

i thought the defense was conservative....but prob a good plan...think ysu coaches knew they could put up 40 on these guys and

were playing it on defense to prevent big plays...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
Hess was magnificent, as was Cook, Shaw, and the rest of the skill-position athletes.  But let's not overlook the unsung heroes: the offensive line was brilliant.  They opened holes against a stacked box, and they picked up most of the Northern Iowa blitzes. 

As for the defense, did anyone notice the absence of the two Williams (#3 and #6) at linebacker for much of the game?  Also, DeKraker played very little on the d-line.  At times the defense had the character of a make-shift unit which might account for some of our issues there.  And the favorite whipping boy of some, D'Alesio, broke up two critical passes: on third down with the score tied at 35 which forced UNI to punt, and naturally on the last play of the game.

Against Pittsburgh, Albany, and UNI we have outscored the opposition in the fourth quarter and closed out the games.  That is a refreshing change from the two previous seasons.   

As far as crowd noise, all we need to do is put in place a plan some of us talked about last year.  Put a crowd mic in front of the band and have them play between plays.  Fans will respond to chords from the fight song blaring on the public address system much more than to canned music or the pleas of a p.a. announcer.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
Hess was unreal.  Might be the best game I ever saw from  a  YSU QB.

OL  has to be rated as one of the best ever at YSU.  Tremendous job.

Cook is such a strong runner.  He finishes his runs and yesterday got two crucial first downs on his own , with his effort.

Can we get some weight on our LBs?  I understand the whole SEC "speed' thing, but come on--weak tacklers due to their lack of size.

I really wish they would set up part of the seating as "Standing areas".  Lots of times I wanted to just stand but without comrades around me doing the same it is hard.

We need a Dwite Smiley type at Safety btw.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »
Kurt Hess is amazing, Cook is so strong. Ray Rice type of back. Will Shaw is such a weapon. Too big for DBs and too fast for LBs. Offensive line is so big and strong. We need to get more of a pass rush. LBs still not sure what holes to fill and seem to be confused at times. Donald was great. Always in great position last night. Need to get rested up and work on some things and let UNI and NDSU beat up on each other this weel

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »
Hess was magnificent, as was Cook, Shaw, and the rest of the skill-position athletes.  But let's not overlook the unsung heroes: the offensive line was brilliant.  They opened holes against a stacked box, and they picked up most of the Northern Iowa blitzes. 

As for the defense, did anyone notice the absence of the two Williams (#3 and #6) at linebacker for much of the game?  Also, DeKraker played very little on the d-line.  At times the defense had the character of a make-shift unit which might account for some of our issues there.  And the favorite whipping boy of some, D'Alesio, broke up two critical passes: on third down with the score tied at 35 which forced UNI to punt, and naturally on the last play of the game.

Against Pittsburgh, Albany, and UNI we have outscored the opposition in the fourth quarter and closed out the games.  That is a refreshing change from the two previous seasons.   

As far as crowd noise, all we need to do is put in place a plan some of us talked about last year.  Put a crowd mic in front of the band and have them play between plays.  Fans will respond to chords from the fight song blaring on the public address system much more than to canned music or the pleas of a p.a. announcer.

I will say the D'Alesio blew some plays but he came up big on 4 or 5 when we really needed it!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:50:05 PM by penguinpower »